Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale as a sight reading aide  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

WSplawn
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WSplawnAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 88

Posted 8/6/2014 9:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Anyone have any thoughts on how Finale might be used as an aide to better sight reading?

Finale 2014 user - Sacramento

Zoots
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZootsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 385

Posted 8/6/2014 11:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As stated, your question can cover a very broad range of topics.

A somewhat general comment is that MM's SmartMusic program is probably a better tool for certain aspects of improving sight-reading. If you want to better accurately read rhythms, an issue for many of us, SmartMusic provides an assessment of how well you did and shows where you went wrong. Practice does not necessarily make perfect, it can make the wrong interpretation permanent.

Having the full version of Finale allows you to make your own exercises or pieces in SmartMusic format.

Finale 2012c
JABB3/Aria

Smartscore Pro X2

Windows 8.1

Intel i7 with more than I need

Bob Stiffler
Registered Member

Click to send Bob Stiffler email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bob StifflerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 269

Posted 8/6/2014 11:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wsplawn:
In my opinion the only way to improve sight reading is to "do it". One of my saxophone friends practices every day, and reserves 15 minutes of sight reading to anything he can find in his library. I have played enough new scores over the last 60 years so I sight read pretty well today. I used to be solo clarinet in my small town symphony. I am now old and play Bass clarinet cause the bass clarinet part has more "White notes". I also play keyboards and do a gig or two per week. Now for Finale. I have learned many solo clarinet parts by inputting the clarinet score into finale, putting repeat signs around the area I was trying to learn, setting Finale to repeat it 20 times, and increase the speed (Metronome) as I learned the part playing along with Finale. I have done the same thing on piano scores that I have had to do for weddings. The 20 time repeat makes me really do it 20 times.

I still put beat markings on the score I am playing if it is the least bit complicated. I repeatedly have transposed clarinet scores from "Bb" Clarinet to "A" Clarinet and vice versa for ease of performance. (Or just parts of scores). I have transposed piano scores to put them in an easier key, I have used Finale for the last 18 years. It surely has made me a better player.

I really do not believe there is an easy answer to your question other than to practice...practice....practice
Bob Stiffler

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 8/6/2014 12:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As pointed out by Zoots, one aspect of sight reading is rhythm reading.
You can use Finale to notate rhythm reading exercises.

Another aspect of sight reading is melody reading.
This has a lot to do with knowing all intervals well, and with “thinking in intervals” when you read.
You can use Finale to notate melody reading exercises.

Then there is sight playing, but that is not what you asked about.
Playing by sight involves both sight reading and knowing your instrument well.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011c, 2012c & 2014c, Dolet 6.4 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.3, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 8/6/2014 1:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
All true, and I think Zoots is dead-on. This is exactly what SmartMusic will do for you.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer notation editor (The Gang of Eight) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014b, but using 2012 again, on Mac 10.9.3
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

WSplawn
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WSplawnAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2010
Total Posts : 88

Posted 8/6/2014 6:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
SmartMusic sounds like a good choice. I am investigating.

Additionally:

Obviously I read music but I am only an intermediate sight reader. I wonder if there is not a library out there somewhere that has a lot of free Sibelius or Finale or MXML piano music organized by grade level?

If I had a lot of that kind of music I think I could increase my sight-reading skills considerably; I mean music I can play along with, slow down and repeat as needed.

Anyone?

Finale 2014 user - Sacramento

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 8/6/2014 6:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think anything can beat listening to music while following the score.

(On the other hand, I learned sight reading by being beaten more than 50 years ago. The teacher would point at a note and if you didn't sing it on pitch, she'd hit you with the pointer.) :)

Finale 2014c with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM
onboard Beats Audio sound card

violin and flamenco guitar, composer

Administrator, The Compose Forums
Specializing in contemporary art music

Bob Stiffler
Registered Member

Click to send Bob Stiffler email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bob StifflerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 269

Posted 8/6/2014 8:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wsplawn

I do not know your instrument. If it is keyboards, or perhaps any other instrument there a hundreds of midi files you can find on the net. open these files with Finale and you can repeat slow down or transpose as much as you want. Note that some of the midi files on the net do not yield a playable score in Finale. You may need to experiment with quantizing or the format
used when the file was sequenced into the midi file. Some of the midi files on the net open perfectly. For instance, Google "piano midi files" and you will find lots of midi files you can open with Finale.

Bob Stiffler

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 8/7/2014 12:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My piano teacher started by tape recording the piano parts to violin sonatas (back in the technological dark ages) and having me play back the violin part (on the piano) at sight. At the start I read from the score, so I could find my place if I got lost. Then he had me sight read from the violin part, so I had to keep counting even if I lost the notes. Subsequently he had me tape the accomp myself and then play back the violin part against it. (Boy was that accompanist sloppy with the rhythms at first!)

Hope that gives you some ideas which you can apply to using Finale to learn to sight read.

Finale 2014c - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar X3 Producer)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

saxop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 261

Posted 8/7/2014 12:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'll echo the SmartMusic comments. If you are playing a woodwind, brass or string instrument, that's the best option anywhere.