Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Working with individual students.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Janneman
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JannemanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2013
Total Posts : 2

Posted 10/18/2013 6:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Searching for some strategic advise arround setting up classes.
We are a private music school having arround 300 students and 20 teachers. We are going to use Smartmusic as a part of our lessons and help students at home when practising.

When having a windwood orchestra the setup is clear, will make a class and have all musicians in that class.
But what is the best way to have those 300 individual students that have there own growingpath attaching to a class? Should I make for every student a individual class or can I best make a generic class e.g.
Trumpet level 1, trumpet level 2, alto-sax level 1 and so on, and assign the students to their level?

Did you have the same kind of issue with individuals and how did you solve this in the classes setup? Your advice is appriciated.

With kind regards, Jan

S. Boal
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to S. BoalAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2011
Total Posts : 13

Posted 10/20/2013 12:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Jan -

I work with age-graded bands not ability-grouped students and can't address your question directly.  But I have discovered that many students DO fall within some general-ability categories that may make it possible for you to create SmartMusic assignments that make sense for them and for you. 

For example, if you decide to use a "method book" series such as Standard of Excellence/Sound Innovations/Rubank, it would be easy to group the students into assignment "classes" based on their present level of skill.  Your idea of Trumpet Level 1 is a great way to create classes.  But this would be easiest for you if you restrict yourself to a method book series.  Otherwise, you'd spend lots of time building sequential assignments when that's already been done by the publisher. 

Maybe "Trumpet, Book 1", "Trumpet, Book 2", "Trumpet, Book 3" would be the class names.  Or maybe simply "Level 1", "Level 2", "Level 3" as class names. Your students would select their instrument and then the appropriate method book's assignments would appear on their homepage.

One of the great features of SmartMusic is our ability as teachers to modify/create assignments for individual students.  But this can become overwhelming unless we look at the individuals as having musical characteristics that can fit them into groupings for the assignments.   I can't imagine how to manage 20 individual teachers unless they all agree to some sort of general plan and structure. 

Maybe some private teachers can post replies that will help more. But you're on the right path by implementing SmartMusic - it's a great tool for students to succeed! 

Scott Boal