Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Photoscore Ultimate 7 vs Smartscore X2  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

John Iafrate
Registered Member

Click to send John Iafrate email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John IafrateAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2001
Total Posts : 504

Posted 3/25/2014 11:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does anyone have an opinion? I've had Smartscore for a long time and I don't think it's all that great except for scanning printed music.

John
Finale 2011c, 2012c
Mac Pro 3.2 - 16GB(Ram) OSX 10.8.5, 10.9

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 3/25/2014 11:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
John Iafrate said...
Does anyone have an opinion? I've had Smartscore for a long time and I don't think it's all that great except for scanning printed music.

I posted the very same question in this thread only the other day.
forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=424982

Neuratron would seem to have some impressive products, though the actual results may vary from the hype. The "Lite" products seems very limited, but actually for my purposes, just getting the notes in and taking it from there would be more useful than full scan.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014a, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.9.2)
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 3/25/2014 2:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do an internet search for both PhotoScore and SharpEye references in the forum.

site:forum.makemusic.com photoscore

SharpEye is the predecessor to PhotoScore Ultimate.  Neuratron purchased the SharpEye recognition software engine and incorporated it into their flagship product, but I don't think they made any improvement in its capabilities except for maybe in some textual object recognition.  SharpEye still outperforms any other music recognition software I have used.  Photoscore Ultimate can read PDF files, and makes the claim to read hand written scores.  I can verify it does a tolerable job on PDF's, but I have not had any hand written scores to try.  I would not expect too much.  Their companion product, AudioScore Ultimate, which claims to be able to score from an audio file, has a steep learning curve, at least for me when I tried it, not being an audio engineer.  I never got anything useful out of it, but maybe it's just me giving up too soon, I don't know.  I still think this technology is a pipe dream, but will someday become viable, but not yet.

I started out with music recognition software back when what is now SmartScore was called MIDIScan.  I had the usual limited success, where you had to spend more time correcting "recognition" errors than it was worth.  The evolution into SmartScore has made some improvements, but again, nothing to rave about.  I abandoned it when I found out about SharpEye.  I have tried out the SmartScore Pro X demo, but as usual, it had the same problems where you are usually better off starting from scratch rather than using music recognition software.  I cannot comment on the latest Smartscore Pro X2.

They all do a fair job with recognizing music from a clean, crisp, not too complicated original.  Sometimes this is all you need.  They all have editors where you can follow the original along with the results of the recognition process.  They all point out errors like the number of beats in a measure.  I find it easier to import into Finale and do any editing there.  Most of the time, the editors have GUI interfaces that are foreign and awkward to use for a seasoned Finale user.  Don't waste time trying to learn a new GUI and edit before importing into Finale.  All but the newer SmartScore require you to export the results of the recognition process into MusicXML and then import that into Finale.  MusicXML is now into version 3.0, but none of the recognition products I know of go beyond 2.0.  SharpEye goes to 1.1, but then again it does not attempt to recognize many of the objects supported by the newer MusicXML.  Photoscore Ultimate supports 2.0.

All this is my opinion, and, as they say, your mileage may vary.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Dell XPS 600, GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz [Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4] (2 processors)
8GB Ram
HT Omega Striker 7.1
MSI N430GT 2GB GPU
1TB x 4 internal HD's

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition, (06.01.7600.00)
Finale versions: 2011b.r2, 2012c.r13, 2014a.v3535

GPO4

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Zoots
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZootsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 385

Posted 3/25/2014 3:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would say the current version of SmartScore X2 has improved recognition compared to its initial release and its predecessor SmartScore (without the X2).

Smartscore for the past while no longer writes a Finale format file and uses XML to exchange notation data.

Finale 2012c</div>
JABB3/Aria

Smartscore Pro X2

Windows 8.1