Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Using Finale with Propellerhead Reason  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

RamonC
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit RamonC's website.Send a Private Message to RamonCAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 33

Posted 12/3/2007 1:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Everyone,

I'm a very experienced Windows Finale User, but I'm working on Mac a lot recently and there is one thing I haven't figured out how to do yet.

I often will use Finale to drive synths and samplers in Reason, but on Windows, it's easy with some third party software that rewires (LoopBE1 if you are interested) your MIDI signal to any other application.
Is there anything that will do this with Macintosh?

Sorry if this has been addressed here, but It is not an easy thing to search for given the name of the Reason software.

thanks in advance,
Ramon

RamonC
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit RamonC's website.Send a Private Message to RamonCAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 33

Posted 12/3/2007 2:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just figured it out.

If anyone else wants to accomplish the same, it can be done using some freeware called MIDI Patchbay, available here
www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/MIDI_Patchbay/

CWillCalho
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CWillCalhoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 256

Posted 12/3/2007 9:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ramon,

I have used Finale extensively on a Mac and happen to have Reason, but have not had much time to work with it and also wished it had a notation type interface along with it. Any information you could give me on how to work with both together would be greatly appreciated. I downloaded PatchBay from your link.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Bill

rand
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to randAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2004
Total Posts : 56

Posted 12/4/2007 1:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ramon,

You don't need another program such as MIDI patchbay to connect Reason to Finale. In your MIDI setup in Finale just open up Finale Output 1 (and/or 2, 3, 4) as a possible MIDI output.

Start up Reason (it is better to load this after Finale) and go into the Advanced MIDI preference. Choose Finale Output 1 (and/or 2, 3, 4) as an input and for good measure use the same input for MIDI sync.

In Reason, now assign each instrument to a MIDI channel. Reason will go from 1 to 16, but depending on how you set up the Finale MIDI, those same channels might correspond to 1 to 16, 17 to 32, 33 to 48 and so on.

Good luck!

-rand-

Jon Burr
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Jon Burr's website.Send a Private Message to Jon BurrAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2010
Total Posts : 16

Posted 5/8/2014 9:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
RamonC, following your instructions, I'm seeing Finale running Reason's transport, but I'm not able to get the midi output to play the sampler.

I'm seeing the advanced midi controller, with each bus showing a dropdown of available targets (The NN-XT among them, showing an asterisk after its assigned) -
and, Finale Output 1, 2, etc are showing in the display...

But they're not firing the Module. Where else should I be looking?
My little keyboard plays it ok..

Jon
Finale 2012 Mac