Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > FinaleScript - FORUM HAS MOVED! > What Can FinaleScript Do To Make My Life Easier?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 4/6/2004 4:31 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's a serious question. I am so busy concentrating on writing the music and figuring out how to get Finale to do what I want it to, that I've never given a thought to FinaleScript.

So, it might be nice if people could talk about how they use it. Maybe it will solve a problem or two for me.

As someone who has made a career out of programming, sometimes in some very weird and obscure languages, I might be able to contribute something to this world, though I've long since lost the inclination to write code for the sake of writing code.

Ron
Finale 2004b, XP Pro // P4, 2.6 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, SB Audigy
Car: Prius
First commission: March, 2004; First Concert: June 6, 2004

Michael Johnson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michael JohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 1317

Posted 4/6/2004 11:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Ron,

I think some of the objectives for FinaleScript (and computers in general) is to streamline process, automate repeated tasks and apply rules in given situations. That being said, here are some things that FinaleScript can do for you.

Use your knowledge of Finale to "program" tasks -- no knowledge of programming needed and no compiler/tools needed to use the Plug-in.
Run a process (i.e. print) on a folder of files.
Apply one set of Document Options to another file, all files open or all files in a folder.
Do the same set of steps for a given task. For example, there is a script that ships with Finale 2004 called "Plug-ins for Part Preparation" -- the script calls the following plug-ins on a every file open or all files in a folder: Number Repeated Measures, Align/Move Dynamics, Cautionary Accidentals, Check Ranges, Check Region For Durations, Global Staff Attributes, Smart Cue Note.

In the end, FinaleScript is simply a building block. There are over 30 scripts included with Finale that can help you get started and see some of the possibilities. But, everyone has a unique workflow and FinaleScript offers the flexibilty to be tailored to your needs.

To me, the power comes in time savings (2 minutes on every file adds up over time) and consistency (applying the same scripts to all my parts builds my confidence that I didn't make a mistake).

Hope this helps a little,
Michael Johnson
QA Supervisor
MakeMusic

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 4/6/2004 2:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the response Michael. I'll follow the posts here and maybe something will click for me.

Ron
Finale 2004b, XP Pro // P4, 2.6 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, SB Audigy
Car: Prius
First commission: March, 2004; First Concert: June 6, 2004

chipzoller
Registered Member

Click to send chipzoller email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to chipzollerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 413

Posted 4/6/2004 11:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am interested in this FinaleScript very much, but I am sure that you and your team at MakeMusic understand the magnitude of this project that you are undertaking. With all due respect, you have really opened up a can of worms as far as developmental work. I'll be sure to stay tuned...

Regards,

Chip