Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > mus files in 2014  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Amsel
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to AmselAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 308

Posted 12/24/2016 5:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Used to be when I opened a legacy *. mus file in 2014, I was presented with the option yes/no whether to allow 2014 to handle the legacy files. That has disappeared. How do I get it back? I am at present locked into the automatic MUS system, which yields an untitled file in the original folder, which makes a lot of extra work. And sometimes I would like a quick conversion of a mus file to musx format.

I still work mostly in 2011 -- because it does almost everything I need and I like the visual interface and some other features better -- like the tool bars. The little bit of added screen space is a poor swap. But on rare occasions I need to do something 2014 provides. Then the option would be useful. The Help manual is an unhelpful confusing mess. Can't find any useful information on this topic, perhaps buried in there somewhere, the captions on the front page are misleading. Perhaps the company thinks no one wrote any music before 2014 was released or needs any help in learning how to use it.

Among other things, 2014 is dreadfully slow in loading and many other operations, and any legacy file I try to migrate to 2014 changes the playback tempi. Viva Legacy 2011!

Fifty-one per cent of smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Die Weisheit der Weiber ist weiser als die Weisheit der Weisen.

It is good to observe error without disdain. [Senancour: Rêveries sur la nature primitive de l'homme]

Finale 3.5; 2008; 2011b 2014d
XP Pro
San Diego, CA

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/24/2016 9:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If I open a 2011 file in 2014.5 and type Command/S (Save), I get the option to "Save As" a 2014.5 musx file. You can specify a location to save this new file, then hit Save. The file in front of you is the 2014.5 version, ready for editing. The 2011 file remains untouched, as a backup. Does this workflow work for you?

Your signature says you use 2014d. I'd suggest updating to 2014.5 with the free updater. Your install of 2014d will remain untouched, so you'll still have it "just in case".

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

Post Edited (N. Grossingink) : 12/24/2016 8:42:44 AM (GMT-6)

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeHalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 217

Posted 12/24/2016 9:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are you on Windows or Mac?

When I close a file, it offers to save as musx. Using Save As on opening the file as previously suggested is the workaround.

I know that 25 allows you to export as .mus. I'm not in front of my Mac to see if 2014.5 lets you do the same.

Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2011c, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.07, GPO 5
2010 iMac i7, 32G RAM, 2T SSD, Late 2013 MacBook Air, OS 10.12.1
MOTU Digital Performer 9.12, 9.02, Logic Pro X 10.2.4

Post Edited (MikeHalloran) : 12/24/2016 8:34:53 PM (GMT-6)

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 12/24/2016 10:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MikeHalloran said...
… I know that 25 allows you to export as .mus. I'm not in front of my Mac to see if 2014.5 lets you do the same.

Both 2014 and 2014.5 can export to the 2012 .mus “legacy” format (the 2012 format was the first Finale format with Unicode support).

Peter

Mac Finale, 2014d, 2014.5 & v25.2, Mac OS X 10.12.2, iMac Intel Core i7, 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/25/2016 3:18 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think the question was about opening files, not saving files. The last time the behavior mentioned happened to me, when I installed the next update, it fixed the issue. It might be that a reinstall is the only way to reset this. In Windows, I think there is a Registry item for the setting. I don't know about Mac.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Amsel
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to AmselAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 308

Posted 12/25/2016 1:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks all.

Yes, the problem was about opening legacy files migrated from 11b to 14d for Windows. I have 14.5 but haven't installed it yet. Still trying to get on top of 14d, which was getting very flaky, for example, notes sticking forever on playback of a migrated legacy file until I closed the file. Didn't happen on newly written stuff. Last night I did a new clean install of 14d, following the ReadMe instructions to close all unnecessary processes, etc., after a cold boot with no other applications open. That cured many of the problems. Created a new one -- can't have 11b and 14d open at the same time. I'll keep playing with it. I figured out how to get the option back. Still can't figure out why 14d slows the tempo on some migrated files and not on others.

Fifty-one per cent of smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Die Weisheit der Weiber ist weiser als die Weisheit der Weisen.

It is good to observe error without disdain. [Senancour: Rêveries sur la nature primitive de l'homme]

Finale 3.5; 2008; 2011b 2014d
XP Pro
San Diego, CA