Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Too late, but I sent it anyway..  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bvstudios
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bvstudiosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2010
Total Posts : 156

Posted 1/1/2017 12:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just posted the below memo on the soon-to-be only "official" forum. While I really doubt it will be effective, I hope that at least some of the people responsible will begin to understand what has happened here.

Adam, and anyone else at MM who may be reading this, call this my eulogy for an excellent way of doing business.

It's likely far too late now, but you surely must be aware that you have angered and annoyed a large piece of your customer base with this action, particularly with the very heavy-handed effort to "force" nearly 35,000 users of your product to come to this, substantively weak and very flawed shadow of a forum.

I have no idea how large your actual customer base is, but those who spent time helping (at no cost to the company, I must add) as well as those who spent their time asking for help should be considered among your more dedicated users, with a great many experts who have lengthy histories with your products, myself included (since 2001). Further, the old "I told two friends, and they each told two friends, who each told two friends..." canard works extremely well when it comes to making the choice of which widget to buy and where. So the 35,000 mentioned earlier may wind up being exponentially much higher as word continues to circulate. I have personally made sure that I told everyone I encountered who was considering a notation product that the MM Forum made Finale and PM a better "bang for the buck" because the level of service through the forum was unsurpassed. Now, I can no longer say that, MM has seen to it that I can't say it.

There were a number of excellent reasons that the closing boards worked, and worked very well. The ability to interact reasonably quickly with others, to ask and to answer follow-ups, have an online "conversation" and to have other users chime in with good suggestions are among them. Also, very high on the list was the ability to post attachments to your notes. All of these have been greatly weakened or eliminated outright in the "new" forum. As one example, it was very common for a user to post a snippet of their actual file to the forum, have it downloaded and "fixed" by one of the others and re-posted, all within hours. Can I post a problematic snippet of my new oratorio here and expect the same?

Somehow, I doubt it. If the problem is one of composition and not software, can I still ask the question here? At the Finale Forum, I would likely get an answer, as some pretty good composers visited regularly, but would you even open a ticket for a theory issue regarding slurs in alternate notation? Highly unlikely. Not only that, thanks to its literally global nature, the MakeMusic forum is -or rather, was- open 24/7. Are your people available whenever we users need help while working to a deadline?

Moreover, the Finale forum has already registered more than 300 entries asking, pleading, and demanding that you change your stance and leave it well enough alone. Given that statistically, only 10-15% of upset consumers actually take the time to voice their concerns to any supplier, those 300 entries point to between 3,000 and 4,500 Finale users who are truly upset by this move. Again I ask, can MM afford to alienate many of their experienced, high-end power users?

I have been loyal to MM for over 15 years, but I find it very distressing that despite the outpouring of objections by a great many of your most loyal, educated and indeed dedicated users, you would not so much as consider our points in your decision making and insist on a "damn the iceberg, full speed ahead" attitude that completely ignores us all.
It’s an attitude that bespeaks a significant alteration of MM’s corporate philosophy, something we were promised would not happen when Peakware took over. Sadly, we hear these promises too often these days. Takeovers of smaller companies by large corporation that place far too much emphasis on the bottom line instead of on quality intone it just about every time they buy up another entity. Perhaps it was simply too much to hope that this time, it was made in earnest that would be adhered to. Is MM still a principled, responsive organization? Perhaps, but as of today, that’s in serious doubt.

The Notation business is very much a niche-market thing as opposed to say, making and selling widgets to JC Penny, and while actual sales may show a higher number of units annually due to a certain percentage of "one-time" buyers, to risk the goodwill of tens of thousands of dedicated, product-familiar users to me seems to be one of the most dangerous chances a company this size can take. Who can withstand losing thousands or even tens of thousands of largely satisfied customers in this environment, many of whom have used the products since before many members of your current management team were out of Business School?

In closing, I will note here that within a day of the announcement I sent a personal letter to Adam expressing many of these concerns. A full month later, he has yet to respond, and at this juncture, I don’t think he will, which is very sad. I asked him if perhaps there was something I was missing, if there were perhaps features in the new Forum which were for want of a better word "hidden" away which would bring it operationally up to the level of the MM version.

I believe I was respectful, a worried and upset client asking for an explanation from a company that I have been very loyal to for over a decade. But it seems that my loyalty has not been returned, nor does it appear to be respected. And I am but one of tens of thousands who are feeling abandoned by this change to something largely unworkable which appeared from the outset to be of a format designed to discourage discourse, forestall creative and original problem-solving amongst members, yet replaces an excellent product which by its very existence saved the company a great deal of time and money over the years, and which has now been consigned to the scrap heap. That Adam apparently has chosen to completely ignore my concerns which were expressed to him personally and not in a public forum is deeply troubling.

And hear me now, if you read nothing else I've written, you need to read this- if an equal or perhaps better product comes along that includes the kind of assistance we have become used to, I will be leaving. Service -good service- is a big part of why I choose certain products over others, and a responsive, dynamic operation will get my vote over one that seems hell-bent on customer alienation any day.

Happy New Year!

KM Frye
Victoria

And again- Happy New Year to all my friends and fellow posters on this board, wherever you may be!

K M Frye

Finale 2014.5, PM 2011, 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2000

GPO4, WORLD, JABB3

M-Audio, Boss JS8, Roland VSC-55 Sound Canvas, Rhodes 660 workstation, Roland MC-50 composer (yeh- it's old, but it works if you can find the floppies), Reaper 4.32
Windows 7

poparad
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to poparadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2014
Total Posts : 28

Posted 1/1/2017 1:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well said!

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 1/1/2017 1:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bvstudios,

I don't see your post anywhere else. On which forum?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Credo
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CredoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2016
Total Posts : 142

Posted 1/1/2017 8:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've seen it on the Garritan forum, and I totally agree the majority of the OP's letter.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 1/1/2017 9:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hear, hear!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Zoots
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZootsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 385

Posted 1/1/2017 10:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very well said, KM Frye!

Finale 2012c
JABB3/Aria

Smartscore Pro X2

Windows 10

Intel i7 with more than I need

bvstudios
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bvstudiosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2010

Posted 1/1/2017 1:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
bvstudios,

I don't see your post anywhere else. On which forum?

Zuill

Wups-

Here..

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/200656208-Finale-Problems-Questions

And for whatever it may be worth, I also sent it as an email directly to the highest-ranking address I could locate at Peaksware, CMO (Chief media officer) Jeremey Duerksen: jeremy@peaksware.com

K M Frye

GPO4, WORLD, JABB3

M-Audio, Boss JS8, Roland VSC-55 Sound Canvas, Rhodes 660 workstation, Roland MC-50 composer (yeh- it's old, but it works if you can find the floppies), Reaper 4.32
Windows 7

Post Edited (bvstudios) : 1/1/2017 12:32:25 PM (GMT-6)

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted 1/1/2017 4:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
[quote]I have been loyal to MM for over 15 years,
The problem is that the people working now at MM didn't work there 15 y.a.

Finale 2014.5 • OS X: Yosemite, MPB 15', 16GB RAM

bvstudios
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2010

Posted 1/1/2017 4:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hear ya, Octo, I hear ya.

K M Frye

GPO4, WORLD, JABB3

Windows 7