Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Unable to open file  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Hornblower
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HornblowerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 2

Posted 9/11/2005 12:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have Finale 2006.r3 and I'm a subsciber to SmartMusic with version 8.5.1 on my Mac. I've created with Finale a piece that I'd like to use with Smartmusic, but after going thru the steps and creating a smartmusic file, when I try to open it I get the message "It's been saved by a later version o Smartmusic Studio" and it's unable to open the file. Am I doing something wrong. Do I have to upgrade something? Help!

Thanks

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 9/11/2005 2:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm guessing the problem is because SM 8.5.1 was released before Finale 2006, and it's related to the notation engine in Finale 2006 being more current than the one in 8.5 (which was from Finale 2005). To start with, if you send me a Finale file (.mus) to di_oohay@yahoo.com, I can convert the file backwards to Finale 2005 and save the SMP file for you. You'll have to let me know the particulars for how you want it saved.

I know they are working on the next free update for SmartMusic. I suggest contacting customer support directly at macsupport@makemusic.com. State your original question and see if they have a better solution or can at least give you a time frame on the next update.

If you do already have Finale 2005, there are a couple of ways to save it from Finale 2006 back to 2005. The most accurate is via the Music XML Export option from the file menu. If playback is the only concern, you could also do it via MIDI.

Windows XP, all updates

Hornblower
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HornblowerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 2

Posted 9/11/2005 11:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks a lot for your information. I'm not so concerned with this particular file but with future ones that I'll use with my students, so I won't bother you with a conversion. I will contact customer support though and look for the next update.

Thanks again.