Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Strange Zoom Bug  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John RuggeroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 820

Posted 11/30/2016 11:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is for anyone who has gotten results like the attached PDF when zooming and wondered about the cause. (Note the strange positioning of the articulation handles along with everything else.) There have been previous reports on this forum of something like this and recommendations to restart or trash preferences.

But I think that I have finally discovered a trigger for this strange behavior. If one has ANOTHER Finale file open and placed in the Dock, an open file on the desktop immediate becomes unworkable because of the behavior shown. This only occurs in Page View, not in Scroll View. The situation is immediately corrected by closing the Docked file or moving it from the Dock. This is in Finale 2014.5, but I have seen it in 2014 as well. I should mention that I am using dual motors in case that is a contributing factor.

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014d (Finale 2011 as a backup) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4 SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

The better the composer, the better the notation.

Post Edited (John Ruggero) : 11/30/2016 2:36:15 PM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
Strange Zoom Result.pdf   160KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 147 time(s).

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 11/30/2016 12:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Keeping one Finale file in the dock and another open on the desktop can result in another notorious bug - the infamous "File Overwrite Bug". At least in my opinion. The file open on the desktop is overwritten with the contents of the docked file.

This was speculated by someone else, several years ago. At that time, I resolved to never dock a Finale file, rather pull it so the top window bar is down at the bottom of the screen. I think it's telling that the very few times I've had a file overwritten, I've accidentally had a file in the dock. As recently as a month or so ago.

This has nothing to do with your problem, John, except possibly pointing out that docking Finale files can result in sporadic, unusual behavior.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John RuggeroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 820

Posted 11/30/2016 3:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the tip, N. That bug is obviously much worse than mine. Needless to say, I will never dock a Finale File again!

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014d (Finale 2011 as a backup) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4 SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

The better the composer, the better the notation.