Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Double Stop plugin  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

lateralus
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to lateralusAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2016
Total Posts : 5

Posted 8/5/2016 12:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there a plugin that can check the playability of double stops on Violin, Viola, Cello and Double Bass ?

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 8/5/2016 12:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not as far as I know. This link might be of some interest and use:

forum.makemusic.com/attach.aspx/11038/Strings.pdf

Not to get preachy, but I'd suggest that you learn the basics and store them in your head or, better yet, come up with a printed reference library. You might also consider "taking a violinist to lunch". There is probably a lot on the internet if you search it out.

N.

OSX Mavericks 10.9.5
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2014.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 8/5/2016 12:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Seems to me that string double-stops are a piece of cake compared to guitar-chord voicings.
(And I second the recommendation of taking a violinist to lunch. :-)

Finale 2014d - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

lateralus
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to lateralusAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2016

Posted 8/5/2016 1:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Im a guitarist myself so guitar voicings are a piece of cake for me haha.

I learned them at college and still have them somewhere in the back of my head. The idea was rather to work faster and select them automaticly in a orchestral score.

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 8/5/2016 1:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
lateralus said...
I learned them at college and still have them somewhere in the back of my head. The idea was rather to work faster and select them automaticly in a orchestral score.

generally speaking, avoid doublestops in orchestral string writing other than with open strings.
anything else is asking for trouble (unless you're being performed by a top-notch orchestra).

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 and now 2014 under Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 8/5/2016 2:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
lateralus said...
Actually im asking for double stop-harmonics-sul ponticello, so i guess im asking for trouble either way, haha.

remember that harmonics - other than natural harmonics - always require 2 fingers EACH. one for the stopped tone, one to touch the node.
also be aware that the shorter the string the fewer natural harmonics you have available.
while doublebass players (and to a lesser extent cellists) are used to seeing natural harmonics on minor 3rds, major 3rds, then 4ths and 5ths, violists and violinists are not.
on the shorter string it can take a fraction of a second to actually FIND the harmonic.

by the way, I highly doubt you're going to get anything usable out of asking for both ponticello AND a harmonic. the truth is what makes ponticello sound the way it does IS the harmonics it elicits from the string. if you specify a harmonic to be played then you will either have the ponticello effect, or the harmonic.. but not both.

maybe at this point it would be best for you to sit with a string player and go over your expectations. as far as I'm concerned, they sound unrealistic.

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 and now 2014 under Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

Post Edited (Michel R. E.) : 8/5/2016 2:32:05 PM (GMT-5)

lateralus
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2016

Posted 8/6/2016 3:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you for that detailed reply.

Actually i know a piece in which this effect is in, so im familiar with the sound it will produce. Youre right, its rather a very raspy harmonic sound.

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 8/6/2016 7:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I played both flamenco guitar and violin in my youth. Writing for guitar can be a nightmare unless you can try the fingerings yourself. Violin double-stops are the piece of cake we've been discussing. Octave to minor 6th in one position; unison to diminished 5th in the other (don't switch back and forth between the two positions too frequently. I avoid the perfect 5th like the plague, unless it is open strings for effect.

But, as Michel said, don't do this for orchestral writing, except a chord or two for emphasis--and keep it simple (eg. 6ths).

Finale 2014.5

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com