Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > brass mute playback in Fin 2014  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

MEB
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MEBAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 38

Posted 9/6/2016 3:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make a muted section in brass actually play back sounding as though muted?

Attached is a copy of playback settings (and btw, this inflexible screen is all I can see -- I have no success at maximizing the dialogue box or at seeing out to the right in electronic space).

I have used the built-in con sord. expression.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Marilyn

Fin 2014.5, Win 8.1, NTFS, 655GB free, 8G RAM, x64 processor, 3.6GHz
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
BrassMute.jpg
  115KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 303 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 9/6/2016 3:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Which sound are you using?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 9/6/2016 3:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The default HP preferences show D2 as a keyswitch for muted brass. Your screen shot shows just 2.As Zuill said, it all depends on what sounds you're using for playback. Not every brass sound has a muted sample.

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, El Capitan on separate drive

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 9/6/2016 4:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why not just use -KS instruments a put the expression "mute" in the score? Does this not work?

Finale 25

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

gogreen
Registered Member

Click to send gogreen email.Click to visit gogreen's website.Send a Private Message to gogreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 1618

Posted 9/6/2016 4:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use the KS sounds in COMB2, GPO4, and GPO5 with the expressions mute and open. Muted sounds and the open expression work fine for me.

Arthur J. Michaels

/www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011b.r2, 2014d, 2014.5 (currently using 2014.5)
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home x64
Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Aria Player 1.872, Audacity 2.1.2
Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
Casio WK-3000
M-Audio AV40 monitors
AKG K-240 Studio headphones
Brother MFC-L2740DW printer

MEB
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MEBAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 9/6/2016 4:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The instrument I am using is B-flat trumpet.

I tried making a new set of preferences, then entered "D2" in the action box as you suggested. Result = No change.

Next Finale decided to set keyswitch=38 -- which also yielded no change in sound.

I reset keyswitch = 2 (what I originally found in default), and I still have no change whether muted or not.

I keep wondering whether there's some set of instructions in the manual that explains how to get the correct sound. I see nothing in the playback settings of the expression designer that is helpful unless it's "dump," but I don't know how to get the specific numbers to input for the correct dump (assuming that would change the sound).

Thanks for the replies.

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000

Posted 9/6/2016 4:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You shouldn't change any of these settings if you're not sure what you're doing. I mentioned the D2, that is one of the settings in the default HP preferences. You'd be better off just using that default set, rather than the one you've changed.

We still need to know, what sounds are you using. Softsynth? GIFF? GPO? And what specific patch are you loading. Instruments which use keyswitches are generally labelled with a KS suffix.

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, El Capitan on separate drive

MEB
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 9/6/2016 4:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Arthur: I just use whatever comes with Finale 2014.5, i.e. Garritan Instruments for Finale.
I assume that's the same as Garritan Personal Orchestra. There's also something called Aria, which strikes me as redundant, since I never see that it's different from or better than GIF. I must be missing something, but what?

What is meant by COMB2? GPO4, and GPO5 -- are they from previous versions of Finale?

Ron: Not sure I understand. What is "-KS" instruments, and how do I get that, and how would just marking "mute" help me hear a muted sound?

Many thanks.

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 1723

Posted 9/6/2016 4:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Meb

Finale comes supplied with the Garitan Instruments for Finale.
While good, GIfF does not have a muted brass sound for any of the orchestral instruments.
There are two muted brass instruments from the Jazz library. The trombone and the trumpet.

If your score is using the orchestral sound (ie a brass section or solo of some description) you might have to be creative and do a mid score instrument change to one of the jazz instruments to approximate the sound.

If you are using any of the full Garritan libraries, then any of the regular mute expressions should work.

You might want to give a little more detail as to the score requirements (ie what your instrument list/requirement is) for some useful suggestions to manifest.

Cheers...

Daz. :o)

------------------------
Finale 2006-2011, Finale 25 - Win7 64 bit
Core2 Duo i7-4790, 16Gb Ram, Soundblaster Z

MEB
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 9/6/2016 4:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To Jetcopy:
I changed the D2 back to 2 -- it didn't make any difference, anyway.
I use Gar. Inst. for Finale. It's B-flat Tpt.

MEB
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 9/6/2016 4:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Daz! Thanks. I noticed that there was no Garritan filter on brass mutes, but I didn't add up 2+2.

I had to fight with the score manager, because it wouldn't allow me to change from orchestral tpt. to jazz tpt. for three measures (I do this with percussion staves without any difficulty, but with tpts., it seemed to think I wanted one or the other, not alternating).

My solution was to change layers. I put the muted measures into Layer 2, changed Layer 2 instrument to Jazz Trumpet in B-flat for layer 2 in the score manager, and voila! Muted sound.

Thanks so much for the help.

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2000

Posted 9/6/2016 6:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MEB said...

What is meant by COMB2? GPO4, and GPO5 -- are they from previous versions of Finale?

COMB = Garritan Concert and Marching Band samples
GPO4 - Garritan Personal Orchestral 4
GPO5 - Garritan Personal Orchestral 5 (current version)

COMB contains many of the instruments specific to concert and marching bands
GPO5 contains additional instruments found in orchestral situations (muted brass for example)

Aria is the sample player. You load the various samples into Aria for your score to play from.

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 9/6/2016 6:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here are the -KS brass in GIFF. If you use them, then you do not need to touch any settings. Just pick the "mute" and "open" expressions in the expression tool and let HP do the work for you.

Finale 25

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
ks_instruments.png
  28KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 171 time(s).