Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Default chord symbol on "Fretboard Selection" dialog  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

josemariobranco
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to josemariobrancoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 12/6/2016 2:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In Finale 25 there’s something not normal that occurred already in the old versions of Finale:
When you are inputting chord symbols (with enabled Show Fretboards) above a melody, and you open the Chord Definition dialog introducing any Chord Symbol into the first case (see “D” on image1), if you want to select a fretboard at Fretboard/Select button, each time Finale gives you a Fretboard Selection dialog for the main tonality chord (see “C” on image2). Then I have to press Escape, press the button Select again and only then I have the choice for the wanted chord. Two useless movements.
Is there a reason for that?

File Attachment :
Fretboard Selection.pdf   114KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 337 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/6/2016 3:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since I am not getting that behavior on Windows, I suspect it is unique to Mac. My v25 behaves as it should.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.1

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Michael Johnson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michael JohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 1317

Posted 12/12/2016 6:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Jose:

I'm not quite following you. Are these your steps?
1. Chord Tool
2. Double-click in a measure to get Chord Definition dialog box
3. Enter "D" for the Chord Symbol
4. Click Select... next to Fretboard
5. See the Fretboard Selection: C dialog box
6. Press ESC
7. Click Select... next to Fretboard a second time.
8. The dialog box has not changed for me and the "Default Major Fretboards" are still present.
This behavior is the same for me in 2014d, 2014.5, and v25

If, rather:
1. Chord Tool
2. Click once to get Cursor.
3. Enter "D"
4. Context menu click on the chord system and choose "Edit Chord Definition...
5. In Chord Definition see "D"
6. Click Select... next to Fretboard
7. See the Fretboard Selection: D dialog box
This behavior is the same for me in 2014d, 2014.5, and v25

What am I missing because I don't see how escaping out and re-entering the Fretboard selection changes the fretboards

Michael Johnson

MacBook Pro
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM

Surface 4
Win 10

josemariobranco
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to josemariobrancoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2011

Posted 12/12/2016 9:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Michael,
Thanks for your help.
I just tested the two sequences you indicated, and Finale reacts exactly as you say - but I assure you that until now I had already mechanized that sequence: Chord Tool / double click / Chord definition (new) / Fretboard selection (default) / Escape / Fretboard selection (new). Well... I used that so many years long in thousands of scores and parts that I have now the curious impression of a bad dream!

BUT two issues are not understandable for me:

(1) Why does not Finale recognize the tiped chord symbol as to give you imediately the good fretboard choice? I mean, why this need of going to the context menu "Edit chord definition"?

(2) When I double-click and enter a chord symbol (your first example), and type down an entire chord (chord letter+suffix, ex. Dmaj7), the Fretboard selection button persists showing the default choices of fretboards. But if I type only the chord letter and choose the suffix in the Chord Suffix Selection dialog, then the Fretboard Selection button gives me the new chord fretboard choice.

This question is important for me as I make a lot of orchestrations and arrangements for guitar players, and the use of fretboards is needed every day...

Michael Johnson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michael JohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 1317

Posted 12/13/2016 1:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Jose:

To answer your questions:
1. The Fretboard Selection dialog is not being updated before you click on the select button. I will document this as a defect.
2. This is related to your first question. The Fretboard Selection is not being updated as soon as you type in a chord symbol.

If you find yourself picking a different fretboard for each chord, why not assign a metatool (Shift + letter) to define the chord, suffix, and fretboard? Then you can avoid the Chord Definition dialog box all together. I find metatool assignment of chords in a document blazingly fast, but then I only have 3-8 chords to a piece. Sounds like you may be doing more complex arrangements.
Documentation on the matter: https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/FinaleMac/Content/Finale/Metatools.htm

Cheers,

Michael Johnson

MacBook Pro
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM

Surface 4
Win 10

josemariobranco
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2011

Posted 12/13/2016 1:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Michael.
I'll try using Metatools (quite new for me).
Question: these chord Metatools are assigned only to the document in work? or program assigned?

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 12/13/2016 2:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
josemariobranco said...
… Question: these chord Metatools are assigned only to the document in work? or program assigned?

Chord metatools are document specific.
To have your custom chord metatools “by default” in all new documents, program the metatools in your template.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2012c, 2014d & 2014.5, Dolet 6.6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.11.6, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM