Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Switch to Sibelius? Really?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Lew Buckley
Registered Member

Click to send Lew Buckley email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Lew BuckleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 59

Posted 6/6/2002 4:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Two thoughts occur to me:

1) It is difficult, even when trying to be
reasonable about it, to understand why in
fact it's going to take Coda another year to
bring out a Carbon version of FinMac. I
won't go so far as to say the company
seems unconcerned, but I can't help
remembering one of the most appalling
(and quickly reversed!) statements ever
put out by the Finale marketers: "At this
time, we have no plans to program a
version of Finale that will run on the
Power Macintosh platform." That lasted, I
believe, less than a week when the users
went nuts.

2) Having said all that, in reading the
previous posts, I have to agree with those
who urge a little restraint. After all, we
don't NEED an OS X version of FinMac,
we just WANT one. And there is a
difference. Nothing wrong with the
wanting, for sure, and I'd like to see Coda
respond sooner than next summer. But
as both a firm OS X convert and as a
professional composer/arranger/
engraver who uses Finale virtually every
day, I just reboot in OS 9.2.

A little inconvenient, yes, but the bottom
line is that it still works great, just as it
always has. Besides, for me OneClick is
an indispensable tool (it's a QuickKeys
equivalent, but programmable), and that
doesn't run in the Classic environment
anyway, so I don't mess with it.

A little perspective - all it takes is the
minute or two to reboot, and you're back
in the best engraving program on the
market.

Switch to Sibelius because of that? Pull-
eeze!

Lew Buckley

peteklat@mweb.co.za
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to peteklat@mweb.co.zaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/19/2002 10:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear Lew,
It's a simple as this: Finale WON'T fix all
the bugs and bits we have asked for,
because they have to keep upgrading and
selling us new versions. There are LOTS
of irritating things that Coda could have
fixed easily, but have they?
Commerce, buddy. Not service!

cliffdzihner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to cliffdzihnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 486

Posted 6/19/2002 10:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You think this isn't the case with Sibelius as well? Are they a non-profit organization?

RMK
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RMKAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 187

Posted 6/19/2002 1:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you think Sibelius is bug-free, go read their forum sometime. (oh, I forgot, you can't do that unless you are a registered owner).

I can't count the times someone has asked a question as to the software's functionality (for example, using straight flags instead of curved ones) and the answer from Ben Finn is "not yet" or "can't do that".

It's been 4 years since Sibelius first offered the PC version of their software. Since then there has been *one* major update, compared to Finale's four.

Just in case you were curious, I do own Sibelius and have used it for several projects. There is nothing in Sibelius that is intrinsically better than Finale, especially now that we have Robert Patterson's wonderful plug-in for beaming across barlines, which works much better than Sibelius in that it takes into account system breaks. As far as speed, the main reason I stopped using Sibelius is that it took me 4 or 5 times longer to notate anything that wasn't standard notation.

I know I've mentioned this before, but if Sibelius is so wonderful, why is the score of the Elgar/Payne Symphony No.3 engraved using Sibelius but the extracted parts hand-copied?

Sibelius is great for amateurs and musicians wishing to dabble in engraving. For anything serious, you need Finale, Score, or maybe Graphire Music Press.

Ronald M. Krentzman
R&M Music Preparation

whrcomposer
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to whrcomposerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2002
Total Posts : 45

Posted 6/20/2002 9:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>If you think Sibelius is
>bug-free, go read their forum
>sometime. (oh, I forgot, you
>can't do that unless you are a
>registered owner).

This is a fallacy -- you can in fact read their chat page without being a registered owner, you just can't post there.

>It's been 4 years since
>Sibelius first offered the PC
>version of their software.
>Since then there has been
>*one* major update, compared
>to Finale's four.

Seems to me that they put out quite a few minor upgrades in the meantime, which added quite a lot of features for free. Coda charge us a hundred bucks every single year, and in some upgrades it's pretty slim pickings.

cliffdzihner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to cliffdzihnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 6/20/2002 10:11 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"This is a fallacy -- you can in fact read their chat page without being a registered owner, you just can't post there."

Could you tell me how? I just tried and it directed me to a web page where I had no other choice but to enter info including a Serial number. I would really like to check out their forum.

Thanks

RMK
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RMKAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 187

Posted 6/20/2002 11:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 6/20/2002 2:40:00 PM, Will Roberts wrote:

>Seems to me that they put out
>quite a few minor upgrades in
>the meantime, which added
>quite a lot of features for
>free.

No, this is not correct. There was one minor (free) update in version 1 and so far 2 in version 2, including one that fixed a very nasty bug having to do with part extraction.
None of these updates added any new features.

Ronald M. Krentzman
R&M Music Preparation

Tim Rowland
...Rowland...Rowland, though the streams are...

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Tim Rowland's website.Send a Private Message to Tim RowlandAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 1250

Posted 6/20/2002 2:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cliff (if that IS your real name!),

Go to the "Help Center" button, then on the left, under Chat Page, choose the Guest Access button.

Anon69

cliffdzihner
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 6/21/2002 6:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Anon69 (if that's YOUR real name)! I can tell you that Cliff IS indeed a real name, though I can't say who's in particular.