Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Staff-Spacing plug-in (request)  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 10/13/2003 8:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Has anyone ever considered making a plug-in that would space staves by groups?
When I work on an orchestral score, I like to separate the choirs of the orchestra with a wide space.
I haven't found any "instant" work-around other than simply moving staves manually, which gets kind of tedious.
When I add an invisible staff the spacing gets wonky.
So it just seems to me that staff spacing should be like optimizing - something you do once a score is all finished.
It would be nice to finish entering all the notes, slurs, dynamics, etc... then just optimize and respace staves so that nothing collides (oh how often have I had to follow a whole score and respace staves to correct collisions between clarinet 2 and bassoon 1!!!!!!!!).

A plug-in would have to search out the staff-groups, then insert additional space ONLY between those pairs of staves that are the extremeties of staff-groups.
For example, it would need to find the last staff of the woodwinds (ie: the contrabassoon) then the first staff of the next group (ie: french horns 1/3), then add space between those two staves WITHOUT affecting any other distances one might have fixed between any staves (for example, one might have added extra space between the clarinet and the bassoon. One wouldn't want to eliminate that space while adding space between the staff-groups.)

I'm not sure how one would go about the creation of this plug-in. I DO know that it would have to take into account that sometimes the last staff of a group might be optimized, yet the space between that group and the next would have to remain consistant.

If someone could let me know whether or not this is a realistic expectation from a plug-in, or if this would rather be the domain of a "version" change for Finale itself.

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 10/13/2003 11:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Have you looked at the staff spacing utility in TGTools? I find it indispensable for large scores.

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 10/13/2003 2:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't have a TGtools staff spacing utility.. maybe this only comes with the payed version?
does it do everything I mention in my original post?
if not, well then the request for a plug-in remains the same.