Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > How do I edit and save a chord suffix library so that it never has (omit 5) in it?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Bach7
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bach7AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2016
Total Posts : 21

Posted 1/25/2016 9:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I like the chord analysis tool, but want to have a chord suffix library that doesn't have unnecessary information cluttering up the page (such as (omit 5) and (#5)
I know these are important in jazz, but I don't play jazz.

I have tried with most of the libraries under File -> Load Library -> Chord suffixes
For example
Chord Suffix (Times).LIB

And all the libraries seem to give the same results.

How do I edit a chord suffix library so that it never has (omit 5) in it?

Please give a step by step answer, as the instructions in the manual don't seem to lead to permanent changes in the library.

Is there some way to look at all the chords are in the library you are using and to edit and save them?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 1/26/2016 12:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Delete the ones you don't need, and then save your own library. Save Library is in the File menu. Choose Chord Suffixes in the options and give it a name that you will remember.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Bach7
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bach7AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2016

Posted 1/26/2016 6:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Zuill,

Thanks for your help.

My problem is that I don't know how to view all the chords in a library in order to delete the ones I don't want.

Are the chords in a library listed somewhere?

As soon as I load a library, it just returns to the main screen and everything looks as it did before.

teacue
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to teacueAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 85

Posted 1/26/2016 6:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Step by step instructions in order to view a list of all suffixes contained in the chord library of a document

1. Insert a chord (if there is already a chord in your document, skip this step)
2. Right-klick on the chord handle, a menu appears
3. Choose "Edit Chord Definition", the Chord Definition window appears
4. In the "Numeric Definition" part at the bottom of the window click on Select near Suffix
The Chord Suffix Selection window appears with all Suffixes contained in the Chord Library loaded in your document.
In this window you can select a suffix and you can Edit, Duplicate, Delete, Move Up, Move Down or Create a suffix.

Best regards

Finale 2014.5, Windows 8.1 - 64 bit

Bach7
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2016

Posted 1/26/2016 8:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Teacue,

That was exactly what I needed.
I have worked out how to delete those (omit 5) chords!

Now my struggle is with saving the new library.
Zuill said, "Choose Chord Suffixes in the options..."

But this is not one of the options.

I go to File -> Save Library
and a box pops up called Save Library with 18 boxes you can check.

The most relevant boxes to check are Chords and Fretboards and Default Fonts, so I checked both of them (see my screenshot attached)
I saved it under a unique name.
But after I close the program and reload the uniquely named library, it contains none of the changes that I made.
Whenever I use chord analysis, the (omit 5) chords come back again.

Is there another way to save the chords suffix library, or should I have checked one of the other boxes?
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
SaveLibrary.png
  351KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 235 time(s).

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 1/26/2016 9:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bach7 said...
…Zuill said, "Choose Chord Suffixes in the options..."

But this is not one of the options.

The most relevant boxes to check are Chords and Fretboards and Default Fonts, so I checked both of them…

You only need to check “Chords & Fretboards”.
What you save (when selecting Chords & Fretboards), is chord suffixes.

Bach7 said...
…I saved it under a unique name.
But after I close the program and reload the uniquely named library, it contains none of the changes that I made.
Whenever I use chord analysis, the (omit 5) chords come back again…

Libraries are document specific, not program specific.

To examine a library, go to
File menu > New > Document Without Libraries
Then load the library into this empty document.

If you load your chord suffixes into a document that already contains chord suffixes, then Finale will not delete the suffixes that already are in the document.
Instead the suffixes you load, will be added to the suffixes in the document, at the bottom of the Suffix Selection (= you may have to scroll down to see the loaded suffixes).

Peter

Mac Finale, 2012c, 2014d & 2014.5, Dolet 6.6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.5, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Bach7
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2016

Posted 1/26/2016 11:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your helpful response.
That explains many of the mysteries!

I'm still not able to get the desired result though.

When I go: File menu > New > Document Without Libraries
It creates an empty document, and when I load my custom Chord Suffix library and then open my Midi file after that,
it still has the (omit 5) chords in the chord analysis.

So it seems to be loading the annoying default chord suffix library when I open the midi file.

Is there any way around this?
I can't see any relevant options to prevent loading the annoying default chord suffix library when the midi file is being opened.

teacue
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to teacueAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 85

Posted 1/26/2016 12:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A suggestion:
It could be that the apperance of the unwanted chord suffix may come from the way you use the Chord Analysis function.

As I never used the Chord Analysis function, I tried out of curiosity to see how it works.
As far as I understand when you use this function Finale offers you two ways to create a chord suffix:
"I'll do it" or "Let Finale do it"
If you choose "I'll do it" the Chord Definition window appears and you can then select a suffix from the loaded chord library.
If you choose "Let Finale do it" Finale will create a suffix that may contain this "Omit 5" you mention, and it will add this to the existing suffixes in the chord library.

If you do not want Finale to create suffixes for you, then choose the option "I'll do it" in order to select by yourself the suffix you need.

BTW I don't think that Finale can create chords just from loading a Midi File.

Finale 2014.5, Windows 8.1 - 64 bit

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 1/26/2016 1:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bach7 said...
…I'm still not able to get the desired result though.

When I go: File menu > New > Document Without Libraries
It creates an empty document, and when I load my custom Chord Suffix library and then open my Midi file after that,
it still has the (omit 5) chords in the chord analysis.

So it seems to be loading the annoying default chord suffix library when I open the midi file…

When you open a MIDI file, Finale does not import the MIDI into the currently open document (containing your custom chord suffixes), but rather into the Default Document.

To get your custom chord suffixes when opening a MIDI file, create an empty document with the chord suffixes you need, save the document, and use this document as Default Document.

Tu use a specific document as Default Document, first put the document in the folder with Default Files.
Next, go to
Preferences - New
and enter the name of your document in the field Default Document:

Peter

Mac Finale, 2012c, 2014d & 2014.5, Dolet 6.6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.5, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Bach7
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2016

Posted 1/26/2016 9:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter,

Thank you so much.
That is exactly what I needed!

I hope this thread is useful for others in the future also :-)