Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Test/Lyric anomoly  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Patrick Rice
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Patrick Rice's website.Send a Private Message to Patrick RiceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 119

Posted 2/25/2014 8:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does this happen to anyone else?

Setup:
open a default document
Add three notes
In the lyric window enter Fi-li-o
Make the font Garamond
Bold the 'Fi'
Assign the lyrics to the three notes
Click on the 'Type into Score' icon
Click on the note with 'Fi'

What shows up on your system? Then try it with 'Fi-' bolded.

Pat

Patrick Rice
Transcriber - Engraver
www.pdreditions.com
So-so plugin developer
Windows XP Pro
Windows 7 Pro
Finale 2012, 2011, 2010 ... back to 3.1

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 2/25/2014 8:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've been reporting this for at least 2 years, maybe more. Up to now, you're the only other person who has confirmed this. I am using 2014, and the same weirdness.

Zuill

P.S.: I believe this began when they introduced Unicode support (or lack thereof).

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014 now.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 2/25/2014 7:43:01 PM (GMT-6)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 2/25/2014 9:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Okay. "Lyrics Surprise Screen Shot" shows what one sees on screen. However, my "Lyrics Surprise" Graphics Tool image shows a different story, which leads me to believe the gibberish won't print.

Zuill

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014 now.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Lyrics Surprise Screen Shot.PNG
  31KB (image/x-png)
This image has been viewed 216 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Lyrics Surprise.png
  5KB (image/x-png)
This image has been viewed 202 time(s).

Patrick Rice
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Patrick Rice's website.Send a Private Message to Patrick RiceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 119

Posted 2/25/2014 10:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I get Chinese characters when I do it. I can't tell what your results are. They look blurry. Thanks for verifying that I'm not mad.
Pat

Patrick Rice
Transcriber - Engraver
www.pdreditions.com
So-so plugin developer
Windows XP Pro
Windows 7 Pro
Finale 2012, 2011, 2010 ... back to 3.1

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 2/25/2014 10:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Every time I did it, I got different characters. They look Chinese to me. Mine are overlapping in that screen shot, so they look blurred.

Anyway, it's a pain.

Zuill

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 2/26/2014 3:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is most interesting. I can reproduce these results on the Mac, too. I also get Chinese characters. This only seems to happen when one of the syllables has been made bold. However, I've discovered that if, when highlighting the syllable, you include the hyphen, this no longer happens. If you let Finale highlight a syllable (for example by selecting it in Type Into Score in the document itself), it always includes the following hyphen in the Lyrics window. Apparently, if you neglect to include the hyphen, change the font attribute, and then select it with Type Into Score, you'll get the inclusion of wild characters.
FWIW, they still haven't fixed the other mixed fonts bug. If you have a syllable with mixed fonts, like when you need a syllable to include an elision, copying this lyric will erase the font change. Selecting this syllable in the document using Type Into Score will entirely remove the character(s) in the other font. I'm reporting both issues to MM.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.9
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB
Kontakt 4.2

Amsterdam

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 2/26/2014 10:31 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I now use the Finale Lyrics font for lyrics, and the elision is a character there, so I no longer have to mix fonts. I reported the Chinese character font issue over 2 years ago, but to no avail.

Zuill