Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 2003  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

KennethKen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit KennethKen's website.Send a Private Message to KennethKenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 2570

Posted 5/31/2002 11:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So I just got an email advertising Finale 2003 (5:22pm EST). I go to the link to find that, as usual, CODA has not posted anything listing the fixes in this version. For instance, Will staff styles now hide slurs in layer 4? Grace note spacing? etc.

Since CODA has apparently spent money giving us a slew of different color/style icons in Final 2003 I would hope that they've fix all the problems from pervious versions?

Jari - Tobias, can you guys shed any light.

Ken

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 5/31/2002 12:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'll post an in-depth review of Finale 2003 on the tips site very soon.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

avremig
Registered Member

Click to send avremig email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to avremigClick to Add avremig to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 338

Posted 5/31/2002 12:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Upon initial inspection, new version seems to be much hype. Why do I need a choice of how my interface should look? Wasted resources, in my opinion.

Avremi G

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 5/31/2002 1:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wasted resources? Absolutely! I agree with Avremi. But I guess it might impress your average 15 yr old, or someone operating at that level.

Finale is a working tool, not a video game. Or at least it was until someone in their infinite wisdom decided to turn it into Band-In-A-Box, Jr.

Dick

Snorlax
Registered Member

Click to send Snorlax email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SnorlaxAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 500

Posted 5/31/2002 1:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Friends:
Near the end of the "Please Don't Release Buggy Software" thread I brought up the common marketing tactic of "glitzing up mature products."
After seeing the 2003 ad, I rest my case.

Unless this release fixes gracenote spacing and accidentals in multiple layers, I ain't buying!!
Jim
Jim Williams
TubaShop Quartet
N9EJR

Matthew Hindson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Matthew HindsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 406

Posted 5/31/2002 2:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do you think that Coda would have spent a year or whatever just redesigning the interface? Of course there must be some other things of value in this update.

(caveat: I haven't seen the brochure).

ronny
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ronnyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 581

Posted 5/31/2002 2:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
wow, tough crowd tonight!!!! i already bought my new version, and i'm gettin a FREE t-shirt. i'm VERY satisfied with 2002, so 2003 should be even better. can't wait for the 2004d upgrade, where i understand all completed scores will automatically enter the "registered" user into a drawing for a free golf vacation! fore.........

Snorlax
Registered Member

Click to send Snorlax email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SnorlaxAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 500

Posted 5/31/2002 3:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 5/31/2002 7:12:00 PM, Matthew Hindson wrote:
>Do you think that Coda would
>have spent a year or whatever
>just redesigning the
>interface?

Yes. Or adding scanning. Or adding the MicNotator.

Of course there
>must be some other things of
>value in this update.

Value to whom? That's the issue! ;-) The thing I'm waiting to see is what bug fixes have been made. I'll have to tolerate the goofy glitz to get the bug fixes IF THEY HAVE BEEN MADE.

Dick nailed it--it's becoming BIAB, Jr., as well as a few other things.

A RHYMING DICTIONARY????????????

Please see post #31 (I think) in the Buggy Software thread.
>
>(caveat: I haven't seen the
>brochure).

It only describes the glitz. As stated, my buying decision will be based on two factors: Accidental spacing across layers and grace note spacing, in that order.

Jim Williams
TubaShop Quartet
N9EJR

DocMc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DocMcAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 78

Posted 5/31/2002 4:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there really a 2003 or are you gentlemen just Coda bashing. DocMc

DocMc
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DocMcAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 78

Posted 5/31/2002 4:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I should have said "As a Finale dealer, I am usually the last to know." DocMc

BobM
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit BobM's website.Send a Private Message to BobMAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 82

Posted 5/31/2002 5:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
...just finished reviewing the early bird hype-ad for Finale 2003. Wow! Then I had the pleasure of reading the "Please Don't release buggy software" thread. Double-Wow!
I'm still using 2001 because, last year, after ranting and raving about known bugs going from upgrade to upgrade, I realized that Finale 2001 would probably be the last stable "pro" version that we would see. I still hold to that notion. Unless Jari's review shows substantial improvements (fixes!) in these old bugs, I don't need to upgrade any longer. I don't need a glitzy, appeal to the lowest common denominator, do-it-all (...next upgrade will allow Finale to vacuum your floors and do window, eh?) notation program to prepare my scores. I'll continue using work-arounds to deal with those pesky little bugs and try to keep my grumbling to myself.
Bob

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 5/31/2002 7:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, it appears that they've finally addressed the Tablature issue—to some extent. But I still don't get the impression that you can specify the string and range of frets (rather than just low fret and capo fret), so I ain't impressed.

And I do have to agree with the comments about the umpteen new user-selectable interfaces: Big freakin' deal.

Don't get me wrong; I like Finale, I use it every day, I can get it to do nearly anything I need, and I have no intention of ever moving to S*******.

But I want an upgrade that fixes known problems and offers useful new features, not one that looks pretty.

Cheers.

Gary

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 5/31/2002 9:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello!

If you have ever upgraded before, you know that you should NOT read the marketing material...!
It doesn't tell you what's really are in the product, and it doesn't tell you how it really works.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

Ward Baxter
Mercenary of Music

Click to send Ward Baxter email.Click to visit Ward Baxter's website.Send a Private Message to Ward BaxterAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 1999
Total Posts : 280

Posted 5/31/2002 11:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why is there no "what's new" readme file available on Coda's website? The brochure seems trivial for professional engravers. I usually scrutinize the entire what's new document in order to see if the actual important issues have been addressed, as opposed to glitz. I don't care about getting my engraving program to write music FOR me...that's what my brain is for. What I do care about is being able to use the program without needing several third-party programs to make it work. If I didn't have TGTools, Fontographer, QuicKeys, etc...this program would be garbage. OK, maybe that was too harsh...Gods of Coda, don't smite me, but please let there be at least one important fix or useful addition (multiple line expressions, nudge "inner" tuplet handles, accidentals across layers, etc.)!!!

Benjamin Tubb
Registered Member

Click to send Benjamin Tubb email.Click to visit Benjamin Tubb's website.Send a Private Message to Benjamin TubbAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000
Total Posts : 903

Posted 6/1/2002 1:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree that there is certainly a great degree of "glitz" in regards to the interface view choices, but the new document and program options, greatly improved tablature support, and decidedly "competitive" better scanning support are desirable to me. I've already ordered my upgrade and t-shirt .

And as for as the "Rhythm Section Generator" being available, I look forward to more such "BBjr" conveniences, which for many people can certainly be VERY productive. I use BB an Jammer regularly, but ideally, "seamless" integration in my favorite notation program can certainly be appreciated by anybody.

---
Benjamin Tubb
brtubb@writeme.com
http://www.pdmusic.org

Peter Morris
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter MorrisAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2001
Total Posts : 157

Posted 6/1/2002 2:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Could somebody please post the F2003 link here. I couldn't find any reference on the CodaMusic.Com site.

Perhaps planet UK is behind the times...

Thanks!

Pete

musicofnote
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit musicofnote's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 490

Posted 6/1/2002 3:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter,

Nope. Either that or Switzerland is too. I
could not either find any propaganda
about 2003, although if you do a site
search you see the different prices for
upgrading to 2003.

And I didn't get an email either.

Leonard Cecil, Systems Engineer
mailto:l.cecil@fh-aargau.ch
================================
=============
Fachhochschule Aargau
Departement Gestaltung und Kunst

JSagala
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit JSagala's website.Send a Private Message to JSagalaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 1999
Total Posts : 190

Posted 6/1/2002 3:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm sorry--I really like Finale alot, but....

New! Rhyming Dictionary!

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

What an embarrassment.

duser
Registered Member

Click to send duser email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to duserAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 929

Posted 6/1/2002 5:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Coda, could you please post the 'Bug Fixes Since F2002' list on this forum? Or could someone who has purchased F2003 do so?

I want to give Coda the benefit of the doubt before I decide to skip this upgrade, which so far looks like a total dud. I'm surprised they haven't included a 'Notation Invaders' video game as one of the new 'features'. Written by someone else, of course.

somusque
Developer

Click to send somusque email.Click to visit somusque's website.Send a Private Message to somusqueAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 1999
Total Posts : 1169

Posted 6/1/2002 6:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello,

as always, detailed information takes a day or two until it is posted. I'm sure the new tab functionality satisfies mostly everyone's needs.

There have been many fixes and small feature enhancements based on user feedback in the standard plug-ins, such as Add Cue Notes, Move Rests, Cautionary Accidentals, Word Extensions, and many others.

--------------------------------------------
Tobias Giesen, Composer
http://www.tobiasgiesen.de
* now all major works as free MP3's *

Check out TGTools, my plug-in collection for Finale:
http://www.tgtools.de

Slandrom Musik
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Slandrom MusikAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 380

Posted 6/1/2002 7:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can´t find a word about 2003 on Coda´s
website. Is this a dumb sort of joke, or..?

Björn

Michael Cook
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michael CookAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 2526

Posted 6/1/2002 7:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
here's the link:

http://www.codamusic.com/finale/index.asp

Tim Rowland
...Rowland...Rowland, though the streams are...

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Tim Rowland's website.Send a Private Message to Tim RowlandAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 1250

Posted 6/1/2002 5:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey! They actually listened to our request to get the "Document Options" all on one page! This is a good sign...let's hope that those bugs are fixed then! (Gotta go and read more about it now)

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Rowland
...Rowland...Rowland, though the streams are...

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Tim Rowland's website.Send a Private Message to Tim RowlandAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 1250

Posted 6/1/2002 5:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm...rhyming dictionary.

Let's see...in Australian, "ass" rhymes with "farce" - but not in US speak. hehe

Tim

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Reed email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill ReedAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1203

Posted 6/3/2002 9:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>Do you think that Coda would have spent a year or
> whatever just redesigning the interface

A year? I think it's been more like 6 months. Coda must need some quick cash to look good on the next quarterly report.

Didn't the upgrades used to be $89? I guess they paid a lot for that Rhyming
dictionary.