Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Getting started and Flexibility Questions...  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

bwest87
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bwest87AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2013
Total Posts : 1

Posted 4/18/2013 11:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,
I'm curious where the documentation is on Plugin development. Is there an SDK? The only references I'm seeing to that are from like 2008 and prior.
Is Finalescript the langauge for plugin-development or is there something else?

And in general, this is about me potentially creating plugins to render a notation system that my partner and I have developed, called Hummingbird (www.hummingbirdnotation.com). We've received quite a bit of interest in the system recently, and would like to create a plug-in for Finale if possible. Obviously we can create a new music font for it, but we'd have to go deeper. Specifically, are finale plugins capable of some of the following...?

-Drawing rhythm markers programatically based on measure width? (Or alternatively, showing different glyphs based on measure width?)

-Not just rendering new sharp and flat symbols, but attaching them to the note, rather than putting them slightly to the left?

-Changing how ties and dots work, such that a dotted quarter becomes a quarter connected to a special kind of eighth note.

Thanks. Any insight you could provide would be great. Thanks! - Blake

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 4/22/2013 9:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Blake,

Finalescript is not used for plug-in development.  It is actually a plug-in itself which provides a scripting language that allows for the automation for many Finale commands, functions, and utilities.  It is not very well documented, buggy, and leaves much to be desired.

Plug-ins are currently being developed mostly by Jari Williamsson.  Find his site here: http://www.finaletips.nu/

Another source is Tobias Giesen, but I don't think he is currently active in developing anything new.  Find his site here: http://www.tgtools.de/index-en.htm

Another is the Patterson collection, some of which are bundled in Finale.  Find his site here: http://www.robertgpatterson.com/

This is not meant to be an exhaustive list.  If I omitted somebody, my apologies.

I think most anything that you want to do could be accomplished programmatically with a plug-in.  I have no experience myself with developing any plug-in.  Check out the sites quoted for tips, hints, and ideas.

[EDIT] Sorry, I had originally misspelled Mr. Giesen's name.  My apologies to him.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Dell XPS 600, GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz [Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4] (2 processors)
8GB Ram
HT Omega Striker 7.1
MSI N430GT 2GB GPU
1TB x 4 internal HD's

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition, (06.01.7600.00)
Finale 2012c.r13

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 4/23/2013 9:05:23 AM (GMT-5)