Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > All sorts of troubles with Finale 25: view, palettes, menu clicking and default pdf names  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Hanne-Sofie
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Hanne-SofieAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2016
Total Posts : 13

Posted 11/20/2016 7:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I upgraded to Finale 25 and am regretting I did it. I am having many issues with the new version:

View and tool palettes: like before, on the Mac you are not able to attach the toolboxes to the open window. This has been hard getting used to. My Mac is small and my screen does not have oceans of open space to hang these. I used to prefer having the tool palettes attached to the top (simple entry, simple entry rests, playback controls) and down along the left side (main tool palette). But when I switched to mac from windows I sort of got used to placing the palettes alongside eachother on top of the sheet. Had to move the middle palette down to write the name of the file when I was saving something as something, this was also a bit inconvenient but I got used to it. The new thing now is that the palette boxes are stuck in one shape. The main tool palette has to stretch vertically with three rows of tools. The simple entry has to be horizontal in two rows. If I try to alter the shape of the box (I want to put the main tool palette on top, horizontally) the tools will disappear. This is VERY strange!! This must be a bug, right?? (See attached image)

Unable to click my way up and down menus: If I want to edit the key signature, and open the tool, I can no longer click on the side where the many goes up or down (see attached photo, difficult to explain this in English), now I have to drag the menu up or down with my finger on the mousepad. ALL menus are like this now. Selecting time signatures, like how many beats per bar...drives me crazy! Going from 3 to 4 beats like this is very, very difficult since the meny will run so fast. This takes a lot of presicion and I cannot believe that it is meant to be like this - it makes working with finale on my great mac book without and external mouse almost impossible! Are there any settings where I can change this? Laptop settings??

Default file name when saving/printing as pdf: somehow now Finale ALWAYS adds the name "score" or "Part" to my pdf files! This drives me up the wall!! I don't want all my sheet music to be filed as "(songname) - score.pdf"! I prefer (songname).pdf! There has to be a way to change this setting!! Please help me!

These things may seem like trifle issues, but it is becoming so annoying now that I am for the first time in 18 years considering if I should throw Finale away for good and just learn to use another notation program.

Thankful for any helpful comments!

Finale 25 on a MacBookPro retina 2,6 GHz Intel Core i5, OS Sierra 10.12.1

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Main tool palette.png
  443KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 222 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Key signature tool.png
  46KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 269 time(s).

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 11/20/2016 7:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do you have version 25.1?

Bill Stevens

Finale 2014.5 (all versions since 1.0)
Finally made the move from my trusty 2011c
Staff Paper and #1 Blackwing Pencil with eraser
OS 10.9.4 on one, 10.10.5 on another

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 11/20/2016 7:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There is an update to Finale 25 - 25.1. It sounds like the update fixed the time and key signature problems. Here is a review of the update:

www.sibeliusblog.com/news/finale-v-25-1-maintenance-update-is-released/

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

Hanne-Sofie
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Hanne-SofieAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2016

Posted 11/22/2016 9:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello and thanks! It seems I have version 25.0.0.

I am now searching for this update you are mentioning. That review points out all those things I've been struggling with :)

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 11/22/2016 9:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Doesn't Finale give you an automatic notice that there's an update? Barring this, what happens if you select Check for Update in the Finale menu?

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

Hanne-Sofie
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2016

Posted 11/22/2016 10:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello again, first I was unable to click on "check for update", this field was grey. But all of a sudden, it turned black and now I have the update installed. Looking MUCH better so far!!

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 11/22/2016 12:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One of the problems still in 25.1 but scoped for 25.2 is a dysfunctional Rebeam to Time Signature window.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

Hanne-Sofie
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2016

Posted 11/23/2016 12:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And it still insists on naming all my pdf files (....) "- score.pdf" This is very impractical. If I change something in a file, then print the file again with the same file name, my mac asks me - replace the old file? And I click "yes" to this. But still, finale renames my file so that in the end there are two files there, and I have to go in and delete the first one. Drives me up the wall.

HS