Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Buddy's NOTEPAD doesn't show fonts  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

CreoleJazz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit CreoleJazz's website.Send a Private Message to CreoleJazzAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000
Total Posts : 181

Posted 4/12/2002 10:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey, gang. I've talked a buddy of mine into downloading FINALE NOTEPAD because he does NOT have Finale and wants to view some of my FINALE 2002b files (created with all the JAZZ FONT fonts). He says he can view the notes but the chords and "text" are just characters.

After a search for clues in this forum, I'm guessing that the free NOTEPAD doesn't include the JAZZ fonts and so isn't displaying the music properly. What do you think? If so, what can I do? I can't legally send him the JAZZ fonts (can I?) . Or should NOTEPAD be able to display the JAZZ font? Or, when I emailed the .mus file, should the JAZZ FONTS used in it been included in it? Or is there some other fix? Bring it on.

We're emailing the files long distance. Thanks.

Dave Gravatt
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
http://www.CreoleJazz.com

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 4/12/2002 11:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dave:

1) No, you can't legally give him the font.

2) Yes, Notepad should include the Jazz font, but it's a free program, so you really can't expect too much...

3) Make a PDF of your music, embedding the fonts (there are many threads on this topic) and your buddy will be able to read them, though he won't be able to edit them.

Cheers.

Gary

CreoleJazz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit CreoleJazz's website.Send a Private Message to CreoleJazzAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000
Total Posts : 181

Posted 4/12/2002 3:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm. Well, I don't have Acrobat (only Acrobat Reader). I'd really like to just send files created with Fin/Win 2002b (using the Jazz Font) and have my friend be able to view it and print it (as it was intended to look...complete with all Jazz fonts in place) using Finale Notepad. Any other ideas?

Dave Gravatt
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
http://www.CreoleJazz.com

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 4/13/2002 5:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dave,

Have your buddy go to http://www.jazzfont.com/ and purchase the Jazz font. It's only about $50.00 or so. Of course, for a bit more, he could buy PrintMusic and get the Jazz font and a pretty good program that has many more features than Notepad.

If he has a postscript printer and doesn't want to invest any more money, you could compile postscript listings of the pages and send those to him. Be sure that you check "Include All Fonts" when making the files. This method works pretty well on the Mac, but with the EPS problems I've seen on this side, I don't know how successful this approach would be. It's probably worth a shot, though.

Good luck.

Jim Coull

HOMR
Handsome gent

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HOMRAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2001
Total Posts : 227

Posted 4/15/2002 3:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can try downloading Coda's FontPack, which I believe includes all their music fonts, including Jazz.

Paul