Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Adding new instrument in 2012 Time signature issues  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

chemist mom
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to chemist momAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2012
Total Posts : 11

Posted 11/13/2013 11:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HI,

First of all, I apologize if this is discussed in another thread. I tried several times to search for this topic, but came up with nothing.

I have a number of files written out for simplified versions of common hymns for a few beginning violin and/or flute players in our church orchestra. Now, we are getting a new cellist, and I would like to just add a cello line to my already existing violin files, for various reasons, instead of creating new files for just cello part.

I have encountered two problems so far with the two files I have tried, and they both involve a different time signature for the added cello part, relative to the original violin part. I added the cello part by going into the Score Manager, Add New Instrument.

In the first file I tried (Great Is Thy Faithfulness), the time signature was 3/4, and there were 3 full beats in measure one in the violin part. However, when I added the cello part, it would only allow me to put one beat into the first measure. I tried changing the time signature for the cello line, but it would not give me any more beats in the measure than just one. It also made the first measure in the violin part flagged saying there were too many beats in the measure, but I could keep the correct number of notes in there by selecting "leave measure alone". However, there was no remedy for me being able to add more notes to the cello's first measure.

In the second file I tried (Sweet, Sweet Spirit), I thought I'd be ok, because the time signature was 4/4, but it has a pick-up measure of only two beats. Not so! This time, the added cello part had the full 4 beats in the measure, and would not change to only 2 beats in the measure when I tried to reset the time signature for just the first measure.

Help!!! I really don't want to junk up my hard drive with essentially duplicate files, and it really would be nice to compare what I have written for the violin when I am writing out these cello parts. However, it is impossible for me to figure out how to get this to work.

I think in 2006 or 2008 versions, I just went to staff, add new staff, and it all worked out very nicely. But, I can't do that anymore in 2012. Does anyone know if 2014 is like 2012, or like 2008 in this manner? It might be worth the upgrade if it works easier in 2014.

I have attached the files, and showing what needs to be in the first measure for the cello parts.

Thanks.
Shelley Helzerman Houser, aka chemistmom.

File Attachment :
Sweet Sweet Spirit.mus   52KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 303 time(s).

File Attachment :
Great Is Thy Faithfulness 2.mus   51KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 312 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/14/2013 12:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In Great Is Thy Faithfulness, I don't think you want a pickup measure. However, you have it set to a quarter note pickup. Clear the pickup.

In Sweet, Sweet Spirit, you don't have a pickup set, when you want one. Set it to half note.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014 now.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 11/13/2013 11:08:27 PM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
Great Is Thy Faithfulness 2 Revised.mus   51KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 291 time(s).

File Attachment :
Sweet Sweet Spirit Revised.mus   52KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 281 time(s).

chemist mom
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to chemist momAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 11/14/2013 12:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Zuill
How do I clear the pick-up, or add one, without going to the 4/4 button (Time Signature "button" for a lack of a better term), and trying to set a different time signature for the first measure?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/14/2013 12:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In the Document menu, near the bottom.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014 now.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

chemist mom
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 11/14/2013 12:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's Zuill to the rescue!

Thanks so much! I got it to work in my file. You're simply amazing.

La Leyenda
Female. Composer. Legend.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to La LeyendaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2013
Total Posts : 774

Posted 11/14/2013 5:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That he is!