Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Is anyone having MIDI Interface problems with 2004?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
30 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Glenn Pickett
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Glenn PickettAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 12

Posted 1/26/2004 1:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I've been working at this a while now... trying to get MIDI in 2004 running.

No luck though, so I thought I would see if anyone here knows what i'm not doing.

I have a Edirol UM-2 MIDI Interface which I had working well in Classic mode. But now with 2004 and Core MIDI, I can't get a USB presence light on it... thus no interface, thus no MIDI, thus my query. (I'm using a G-4 Powerbook, 17' screen)

I've done the scan routine from the Apple Audio-MIDI software. It doesn't seem to be able to "see" my interface.

Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks,

GP

typhon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to typhonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/26/2004 2:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i had the same problem with the edirol um-1. i went to the edirol site and downloaded the most recent driver and installed it. then i opened finale, went to midi setup, then to audio midi setup button at the bottom of the midi setup box. i confirmed that my interface was present. tested it. then, went back to finale midi setup and chose it in the pulldown menus for input and output devices. clicked ok and then played the current piece that i was working on.

hope this helps.

Tempest
...in a Teapot

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TempestAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 1999
Total Posts : 172

Posted 1/26/2004 10:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you had the UM2 working in Classic mode, you have the OS9 drivers for it installed. Uninstall the old drivers, then install the OSX drivers. Then OSX's CoreAudio should be able to find it and show up in Finale.

Tempest

Glenn Pickett
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Glenn PickettAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004

Posted 1/26/2004 11:11 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you both for your help.

I installed the UM550USBDriver for OSX from Edirol. It was automatically installed in the "reciepts" folder of my Library Folder.

I uninstalled the driver for os9 from the extensions folder. I've booted and rebooted numerous times.

Still, no USB light... the interface doesn't show up when I "rescan MIDI" in the Apple Audio-MIDI software.

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

dtoub
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit dtoub's website.Send a Private Message to dtoubClick to Add dtoub@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 781

Posted 1/26/2004 1:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm having the EXACT same issues with a USB FastLane MIDI interface from MOTU, even with the latest drivers. No lights, not seen in Audio MIDI setup, not seen by Finale, not even showing up in System Profiler. Any thoughts? It would not seem to be a driver issue. I'm running OS 10.3.2.

Gordon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GordonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 1999
Total Posts : 236

Posted 1/26/2004 1:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use an Edirol UA-20 and by using the latest OSX downloaded driver instead of the drivers that came with the UA-20, I was able to setup my midi to work quite well. Only problem is stuttering when playing back complex pieces in 2004.

Gordon

Glenn Pickett
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2004

Posted 1/26/2004 2:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gordon- I have downloaded and installed the latest driver. I've written Tech Support to see if they can come up with anything. Thanks though.

dtoub- Is the MOTU interface supposed to work for OSX? I know that a lot of their stuff is still OS9 oriented.

GP

Glenn Pickett
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2004

Posted 1/26/2004 2:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dtoub- Thanks for the insight on the System Profiler... mine is not showing up either.

Gordon- Does your driver show up on the system profiler? May ask you where the driver is installed on your computer?

Thank you again for the help and insight.

GP

TechSupport
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit TechSupport's website.Send a Private Message to TechSupportAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 432

Posted 1/26/2004 3:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To test if your MIDI interface is detected, go to the Hard drive>>Applications>>Utilities>>Audio MIDI setup. Does your MIDI interface show up as an icon in the MIDI devices window? Is it greyed out (If it is greyed out, it usually means that the MIDI interface is not plugged in, or something is interfering with how it is being detected (mostly commonly because classic mode is running).

Brian

Coda Tech

These on-line forums are intended for the exchange of ideas among the users of MakeMusic products. If you'd like individual help from our technical support staff, please contact them directly via email at winsupport@makemusic.com or macsupport@makemusic.com or call 952-937-9703.

dtoub
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit dtoub's website.Send a Private Message to dtoubClick to Add dtoub@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 781

Posted 1/27/2004 5:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Unfortunately, my FastLane interface is not at all detected-only an IAC Driver is depicted, which I believe is installed as part of the OS. The driver has been uninstalled and reinstalled as per MOTU's instructions, but still nothing shows up. In addition, if I look at the driver in the Extensions portion of System Profiler, it is clearly present, but not loading with the interface plugged in to the USB port. FastLane is OS X-compatible, so I'm baffled and now waiting for MOTU tech support's insight again.

Glenn Pickett
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2004

Posted 1/27/2004 2:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Brian- I get no greyed out icon, no icon at all. I know that the cables work because I can get it working in classic.

When I test with iit the Apple AudioMIDI software to see if i can find it, I do it after a reboot just to make absolutely sure that classic is not running.

Do you or anyone else know where the driver is supposed to be installed? Once again, the Edirol software automatically puts it in the receipts folder of my library folder.

I'm going to write Edirol to see if they can help at all...

GP

beckster6100
Registered Member

Click to send beckster6100 email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to beckster6100Click to Add beckster6100 to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 2

Posted 1/27/2004 8:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks. This info helped me get my controller working.

I'm on my second day of doing a clean-install of OS 10.3.2. this whole thing is beginning to feel a lot like PC land...not just the Finale part but all of it.

At least this is working now.

G4 Cube
OS 10.3.2
Radium 61 controller

Post Edited (beckster6100) : 1/28/2004 1:44:15 AM GMT

Glenn Pickett
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2004

Posted 1/28/2004 12:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
beckster-

You did a complete reinstall of the OS?

Were your symptoms similar to mine? I am still waiting to hear back from Edirol.

GP

klgriff
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to klgriffAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 5

Posted 1/28/2004 10:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am operating Panther on a G4 using a Kawai digital piano and the MOTU Fastlane midi. The test plays a wild sound when I click on the icon, but I can't get Finale to hear the piano in Hyperscribe or Speedy Entry. MOTU does not show an OS X driver. Any suggestions?

klgriff
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to klgriffAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 5

Posted 1/28/2004 10:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I decided to trash all of my connections as listed in the MIDI Setup and SELECT NEW DEVICE in all menus -- and voila! IT WORKED! Finally, using my MIDI for input in OS X.

peerlessnerd
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to peerlessnerdAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2000
Total Posts : 333

Posted 1/29/2004 12:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think my Midisport 2X2 was one of the very first USB interfaces. Bought it years ago, and silly me, I bought it before they'd even finished the drivers and had to wait weeks to be up and running.

Anyway, Coremidi couldn't see my interface either. I downloaded the newest driver (not even 5 weeks old) and got things working fine, but it took a couple reboots for everything to start talking to each other.

Slandrom
Registered Member

Click to send Slandrom email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SlandromAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 1792

Posted 1/29/2004 2:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
peerlessnerd said...
I think my Midisport 2X2 was one of the very first USB interfaces. Bought it years ago, and silly me, I bought it before they'd even finished the drivers and had to wait weeks to be up and running.

Anyway, Coremidi couldn't see my interface either. I downloaded the newest driver (not even 5 weeks old) and got things working fine, but it took a couple reboots for everything to start talking to each other.

I also bought a Midisport 2X2, a year ago to use with 2002 in classic mode. Worked perfect. After installing 2004 I did not have to do anything exept choose 2x2 as device in Finales MIDI Setup. All MIDI worked immidiately.

Björn

2002b, MacOSX 10.3 sometimes Win98, TgTools 2.25, QuicKeys X2, 2.0.2

primas
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to primasAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2002
Total Posts : 3

Posted 1/29/2004 1:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I haved an oxygen 8 usb ed to a G4 and don't see even a remote chance of getting it through to 2004. Where does one even begin?

primas

Glenn Pickett
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2004

Posted 1/29/2004 2:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think that this is a Finale problem. It's a MAC-MIDI-Driver problem.

It has something to do with the MIDI drivers being installed correctly so that the Apple MIDI Core can see them.

I'm still waiting to hear from Edirol regarding the installation of my drivers. In the meantime, I'm writing away in Classic. Who would have thought classic would be easier to configure than OSX?

GP

MakeMusic! Techsupport
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MakeMusic! TechsupportAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 48

Posted 1/30/2004 12:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Glenn,

Not sure what Edirol will tell you (they should have a pretty good knowledge of the problems related to their devices), but I would be curious to learn what they think is going on on your computer. We have Edirol UM-1 and UM-2 interfaces in house and they all work fine. You wrote earlier that you uninstalled the OS 9 drivers for your MIDI interface. (Reading the fact that you now have MIDI working in Classic, I assume you reinstalled the OS 9 drivers since.) Was Classic running when you tried to set up MIDI in OS X?

Thierry

MakeMusic! Inc.
Coda Music Technologies

These on-line forums are intended for the exchange of ideas among the users of MakeMusic products. If you'd like individual help from our technical support staff, please contact them directly via email at winsupport@makemusic.com or macsupport@makemusic.com or call 952-937-9703.

Glenn Pickett
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2004

Posted 1/30/2004 10:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear Thierry,

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, I reinstalled the OS-9 stuff so that i could write.

I've tried installing the OS-X driver in a number of ways. But no, I wasn't running classic when I installed them. I've been pretty careful also about not having the UM-2 connected physically to the computer during the install of the OS-X drivers.

I wrote Edirol on Tuesday, but still haven't heard back. Perhaps you can help me with this...

Where does the driver go in OSX when installed properly on your in-house computer? My understanding is that it should be in the Library folder >>> Audio Folder>>>> MIDI Drivers folder. Is that right?

Thanks,

GP

Clark
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ClarkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 14

Posted 1/30/2004 2:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Haven't read all the replies to this one, so maybe someone has already mentioned this. I was having a similar problem and the MM tech people said TURN OFF the Classic environment when running Finale. Evidently, when it's running in the background it confounds Core MIDI.
Good luck,
Clark

Glenn Pickett
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2004

Posted 2/5/2004 9:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good news!

It was an OSX - Edirol Driver problem, not Finale.

As written above, these drivers cannot be installed while the device they support is plugged into a USB port. It causes problems. This must have been what I did originally.

Therefore, I had to remove the driver from System/Library/Extensions. That was not an easy task. The file was controlled or owned by "root" part of the UNIX core underneath everything. I had to use "Terminal," a seldom used program that is to OSX what DOS is to Windows to remove the bad drivers. Fortunately, we have someone on our staff who knew the UNIX commands (or knew where to find them on the Web) to remove the drivers.

Once they were removed, I rebooted, redownloaded the software from Edirol, reinstalled and then rebooted and voila! MIDI with OSX.

Thank you all for your help. It took some doing, but I finally got it.

Anyone else had to use "Terminal" out there?

GP

Tom Holtz
not THAT Tom Holtz...

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Tom HoltzAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 27

Posted 2/6/2004 8:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good to know. I'm thinking about getting an Edirol keyboard. Good info for installing.

My MidiSport 2x2 was detected and usable in F2004 on the first try. If anything, the MIDI component of F2004 is much more stable and happy than any I've had the displeasure of fighting. I can actually scrub music for the first time. How cool is that...

-Tom
iBook Dual USB 500, 384 MB RAM

Jeffrey Quick
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jeffrey QuickAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 20

Posted 2/6/2004 10:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
G. Pickett said...

As written above, these drivers cannot be installed while the device they support is plugged into a USB port. It causes problems. This must have been what I did originally.

I'll have to try this on my FastLane. The 'puter sees the FastLane, but not the keyboard...so no input. Works fine in OS 9. Yes, I did update the driver