Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Rests and note spacing  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

John Birch
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John BirchAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 44

Posted 2/16/2004 9:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can someone tell me how to turn off the function that fills a bar with rests while one is still working on the bar?  This is particularly a problem when one is working with layers.  One is busy working on one layer and the other fills with rests.  These have to then be deleted before one can add notes, etc.  Very annoying and time-consuming.

I recently bought Finale 2003a after using a very early version for many years.
This version seems to have the habit of leaving notes in the wrong horizontal position.  If it has moved to avoid a unison clash and then one of the notes is moved to for, say, a third, then the horizontal position stays where it is and does not align.   Using note spacion does not correct the problem.   If I decide to change the setting from avoiding collisions between unisons to allow it to happen, during working, I can't seem to get those already done to change.   It did not happen with the previous version.

I must say I'm disappointed with my latest version as many of the tedious actions have been retained where I'm sure one action could achieve the result instead having to carry out three or four.   For example: to move a note: 1) click on Speedy entry tool, 2) click on bar, 3) click on layer number, 4) click on and drag note.  Four actions!!   On one of the competition products, it's click on note and move it - end of story!!!   Any comments?  Or am I missing something?

somusque
Developer

Click to send somusque email.Click to visit somusque's website.Send a Private Message to somusqueAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 1999
Total Posts : 1169

Posted 2/16/2004 10:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In the Speedy menu, click Speedy Options and uncheck
"Fill Rests when Leaving Measure".

If using Simple, in the Simple menu, uncheck
"Fill With Rests".

In which direction are you in the need of moving the notes? This should be a really rare need, so if you find you have to move notes often, you should try to find out why and fix the problem before it happens.

Cheers,
Tobias

My TGTools plug-in collection for Finale:
no fiddling, just music.

John Birch
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John BirchAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 2/16/2004 10:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks. That simple solution aluded me when I tried all the options i could think of in the Help Index.

The reason that I am having to move notes is that I am editing full orchestral scores of previous arrangement of mine - some done on Finale, but the majority hand written and now scanned in and recognised. The recognisation is not perfect and requires a lot of editing.

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 2/16/2004 10:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"...how to turn off the function that fills a bar with rests..."

In Simple Entry: go to the Simple menu and uncheck "Fill With Rests." In Speedy Entry, go to Speedy menu > Speedy Options... > uncheck fill with rests.

"...leaving notes in the wrong horizontal position..."

I avoid this problem by turning the automatic music spacing off and just use the mass edit spacing when all the notes, lyrics, articulations, etc. are in.

"...to move a note: 1) click on Speedy entry tool, 2) click on bar, 3) click on layer number, 4) click on and drag note."

Using the selection will help some. Since a note can have a number of items (lyrics, expressions, articulations, chord symbol, etc.) attached to it, Finale needs to know which of these items you want to deal with. I'm not familiar with the newest version of the competition, but earlier versions weren't very adept at mind reading either.

BTW, posting your questions in either the Mac or Windows areas may get you more responses.

Jim Coull

John Birch
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 2/16/2004 11:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the help.

All I want to do is to change the pitch of a note as there are often misreadings of the pitch when scanning and recognising the music. In the competition mentioned all one does is click the cursor on the note and drag it or better still click the up or down arrow. Very quick and easy. (No "mind reading" involved!?!?)

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 2/17/2004 2:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To change pitch in Finale you can use the Simple Entry tool-
option (alt.) click on note then use up/down arrow keys.

N.

John Birch
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 2/21/2004 5:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks

I've had no luck with the up/down arrow keys in Simple Entry (with or without the alt key)

John Birch
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 2/21/2004 5:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I still feel that Finale has got itself bogged down with unnnecessary complexities for quick, general, music writing. It's great for elaborate, complex scores with special effects.

muzenstede
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to muzenstedeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2004
Total Posts : 4

Posted 2/21/2004 7:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try ctrl-click on the note to select instead of alt-, and then the arrow keys. I think mentioning the alt-key was a mistake in translating from Mac to Win...