Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Extracted parts with missing measures  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Fast Eddie
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fast  EddieAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 20

Posted 2/16/2009 10:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
After extracting parts from a score, I found some of the extracted parts were missing measures; actually missing in page view but visible in scroll. This was only some of the extractions, and seemingly random measures were "hiding" on those print view parts.

I had an elaborate way of solving the problem working between Page and scroll view, but it was a pain in the rear.

Any idea what would cause such behavior?

Fast Eddie

OSX 10.4.11
Mac PPC G4
Finale 2007c.r2

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 2/16/2009 11:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like an optimization issue. Try removing and reapplying the optimization on the parts.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen
www.seachordsmen.org

NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finale_tips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

kvehmane
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to kvehmaneAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 117

Posted 2/16/2009 11:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
...or it could be a multi-measure rest issue. Be sure to have "update automatically" checked in Document option / Multimeasure Rests (this in 2007).
Or even a Update layout issue.

Fast Eddie
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Fast  EddieAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 20

Posted 2/16/2009 1:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Guys...

To fix this issue, are these solutions implemented before/during extraction, or would the individual flawed parts receive the treatment?

Fast Eddie

OSX 10.4.11
Mac PPC G4
Finale 2007c.r2

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 2/16/2009 1:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Eddie,
I THINK (but I'm not sure) that they should be applied to parts.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen
www.seachordsmen.org

NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finale_tips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Matthew Hindson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Matthew HindsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 406

Posted 2/16/2009 5:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I too have experienced this and so I always regenerate all parts after the score is finished. Means that there is less possibility for error.

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 2/17/2009 4:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is what I think is happening.
When you set up a file in the wizard you have the option (checkbox) of creating the parts at the same time as the score. If you have this selected linked parts are created at the outset. As you enter data in the score the linked parts should update. The linked parts will also contain multimeasure rests. If update multimeasure rests automatically is switched off then sometimes new material entered in the score during what the part already thinks is a multimeasure rest might not update the rests and hence in page view in the part the material appears to be missing. The fact it's there in scroll view means it is in there, just not showing.

Turning update multimeasure rests automatically will often solve this problem, but it does limit your ability to edit MMR definitions later.

For the future, it is better not to generate MMRs at the outset but to use Document>manage parts later when all the data is entered.

What you can do now with this file is:
1. if your parts are linked parts in the same file as the score and have done very little editing to the parts, use Document>manage parts to generate new parts. It will delete the old ones and make new ones, re-calculating the MMRs

2. If you have done a lot of editing to the parts or have extracted parts to separate files, then in each part in turn select the arrow (selection) tool, select all, in the contextual menu (control click or right click) select Multimeasure rests>create. This will recreate all multimeasure rests and show music that was previously inadvertantly hidden.

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Mac 2.66GHz Intel Quad, 4GB RAM /OSX.5.6 /30 inch cinema display+20 inch Cinema Display
Finale 2008a 2009a/Logic Pro Studio/Komplete/GPO/Kore 2/Max.msp/Pluggo