Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > unwanted mid-staff instrument change  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

mozartny
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mozartnyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 12

Posted 10/23/2012 7:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am running Finale 2012 on OS 10.7.4 and am having trouble figuring out how to remove an unwanted mid-staff instrument change. I've tried utilities=>change instrument and no luck. The beginning measures are trumpet and then at measure 25 it changes. The piece started as an arrangement for a different instrument set, but all of the other staves and the beginning of this one have changed instruments correctly. Can anyone point me in the right direction to figure out what I might be doing incorrectly.......... I've attached a screen print of the settings shown in score manager.

Thanks so much!
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 2012-10-23 at 20.14.20.png
  102KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 230 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/23/2012 7:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't see the change in your screen shot. However, there is a column that has an x and a measure number next to it. Click the x next to the measure number (25 in your example) and the change will disappear.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 10/23/2012 7:45:22 PM (GMT-5)

mozartny
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mozartnyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 10/23/2012 8:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the fast reply - I really appreciate it!

The only 'X' I see is the last column (after the column with the heading Ch with a value of '6' ) and when i click on that X, the whole staff disappears.....

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/23/2012 8:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since the screen shot doesn't show a mid staff change, maybe there isn't one. Can we see the actual Finale file?

Zuill

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes

mozartny
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 10/23/2012 8:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's a portion of the file. I played it and it made this same change, in measure 3 of the example, first trumpet part.....

Thanks!

File Attachment :
help.mus   48KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 366 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/23/2012 8:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Is this a file you created yourself, or a MIDI file brought into Finale? You have a MIDI instrument change in bar 3. I deleted that and all is well.

Zuill

File Attachment :
help revised.mus   45KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 370 time(s).

mozartny
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 10/23/2012 9:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
awesome! Thanks for finding that! How do I remove it?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/23/2012 9:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are different ways. It depends on whether any of the MIDI data is needed in the file. Did you put that data there? Is this an imported MIDI file? This is part of the info needed. Are you new to Finale?

Zuill

mozartny
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 10/23/2012 9:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh Zuill, I'm so sorry. Yes, I am new to Finale. The Midi data isn't needed and yes, it is imported. I'm reading the manuals as quickly as I can, but not fast enough.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/23/2012 9:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For the attached file, I went to the MIDI tool, selected Continuous Data and chose Patch Change. I then highlighted the staff and chose the Clear item in the MIDI menu.

Zuill

mozartny
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 10/23/2012 9:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Perfect. Worked like a charm. Thank you again for the help and your patience!