Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Returning to arco before using pizz  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

HJ
Registered Member

Click to send HJ email.Click to visit HJ's website.Send a Private Message to HJAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2002
Total Posts : 80

Posted 1/25/2014 8:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hello friends:

I was working in a score with violin and cello.

No problems with changes to arco and pizz and vice- versa during two weeks of working

I finished the work to day and, suddenly, only sounds pizz for both instruments. If I erase the first pizz indication of the score, arco return but I lose the pizz.

I have no idea why this extrange situación.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks in advance.

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 1/25/2014 8:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd have to see the file. Otherwise, I could be guessing until doomsday.

Finale 2014 with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM
onboard Beats Audio sound card

Administrator, The Compose Forums
Specializing in contemporary art music

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 1/25/2014 8:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Have you restarted the computer?

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer notation editor (The Gang of Eight) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014a on Mac 10.9.1
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Jim Williams
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Jim Williams's website.Send a Private Message to Jim WilliamsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 728

Posted 1/25/2014 8:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It is frequently necessary to insert a non-printing arco instruction at the beginning of a score. (Or a non-printing pizz instruction if the piece starts pizz)

WinFin 2012, 2014, Core-i7 laptop, 16 gB RAM, Win 8 pro w/Media Center
Core 2 duo laptop, Windows 7 Enterprise
iPad 3 w/Zagg Folio
Miraphone 5050 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums
Yamaha 621 Baritone Horn, Holton 58 Bass Trumpet,
blue pBone.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 1/25/2014 9:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sometimes the Garritan sounds get stuck one way or the other. Reassigning the sound might unstick it.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014 now.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/25/2014 9:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I frequently write for strings so pizz and arco are common in my scores. I've found that "chase from first measure" has worked reliably for the past couple of versions of Finale. But we don't know what version HJ is using and what playback settings he is using, nor do we know what sound libraries or player (Kontakt or Aria--or even if we are talking midi) is involved.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 1/25/2014 11:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I guess I should have asked in which version of Finale HJ is working. That may give some insight.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014 now.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Wlgold
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WlgoldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 1733

Posted 1/26/2014 8:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale 2010 introduced a bug where sometimes key switches did not chase properly. This was fixed in F2012. Maybe the OP needs to upgrade.

Finale 2012c, GPO 4, JABB 3, Garritan Steinway Basic, Garritan World Instruments
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Quad, 8GB RAM

HJ
Registered Member

Click to send HJ email.Click to visit HJ's website.Send a Private Message to HJAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2002
Total Posts : 80

Posted 1/26/2014 2:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear friends:
I am working with finale 2014 but  it is not the first  time I find the same problem ( and never solved)
I did all the recommendations you have mention except to put  a  non printng instruccion at the begining  of the  score  as  Jimm said. That works sometimes. I will try
Another  thing:
 I found a bug in finale 2014 whith "Click assignment": It does not  work and I had to work  lyrics with 2012 version.
Thanks

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/26/2014 8:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There is a known problem with lyrics in Finale 2014. It might work better in page view.