Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Stem Direction question  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Jolora
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JoloraAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 684

Posted 12/23/2016 6:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Which of these would you prefer? "A" is Finale's setting. and "B" is a custom setting.

Joe

Finale v1 through 2014.5
JW Plugins; TG Tools (Full)
Garritan GPO 4; GPO 5; Garritan COMB 2; Garritan JABB 3
Anvil Studio 2015 midi editor
PhotoScore Ultimate 8
Band-in-a-Box

Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i7-4771, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD (C Drive)

File Attachment :
Stem Direction Question.pdf   26KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 278 time(s).

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 12/23/2016 6:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd prefer another Christmas carol... but for the engraving, my preference is for A.

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 (2014 has been shelved for its lack of support for older Garritan libraries), putting Finale 25 through its paces.
Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 12/23/2016 6:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A, without a doubt. Why flip the stems to the wrong direction, as in B?

Finale 25.2

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/23/2016 7:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Agreed. Not sure why you'd want to do B.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/23/2016 8:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Another A vote.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

DCrocker
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit DCrocker's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 511

Posted 12/23/2016 11:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A.

Finally using FinWin 2014 on Windows 7 for everything, despite the irritations…
(Previously used everything back to version 2.0.1)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/24/2016 1:15 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think there might have been concern about the look of tying the stems up notes to the stems down notes. That's all I can think of.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Jolora
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JoloraAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2009

Posted 12/24/2016 1:31 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel R. E. said...
I'd prefer another Christmas carol... but for the engraving, my preference is for A.

Would you actually tell that to a client who'd asked for an arrangement/??

Motet said...
Agreed. Not sure why you'd want to do B.

B preserves the delineation of the two lines/voices. It is more obvious in the entire arrangement.

Zuill said...
I think there might have been concern about the look of tying the stems up notes to the stems down notes. That's all I can think of.

Zuill

This was a secondary consideration. How do you feel about this? It looks odd to me, and is, in fact, what made me post the question in the first place.

FYIL this is an arrangement for handbells (though the part is labeled "Piano" in the example.

Joe

Finale v1 through 2014.5
PhotoScore Ultimate 8
Band-in-a-Box

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/24/2016 1:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If there was a rest in Layer 1 in those measures (the downstem notes being Layer 2), then it would have made more sense.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/24/2016 2:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Pianists are used to sorting out lines regardless of stems or even staves.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Jolora
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2009

Posted 12/24/2016 2:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
If there was a rest in Layer 1 in those measures (the downstem notes being Layer 2), then it would have made more sense.

Zuill

I agree with you here, Zuill. But I think I will use option B, though, given the audience. This is for a community handbell choir comprised of mostly non-musicians. Less "stuff" on the page seems easier for them to digest.

But I am getting that the consensus is A for formal publication.

Joe

Finale v1 through 2014.5
PhotoScore Ultimate 8
Band-in-a-Box

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 12/24/2016 5:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Definitely A, or B but with a whole rest in the top voice and stems AND slurs flipped downwards, IOW, the Finale default. As it is, B simply looks wrong.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25.1, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 12/24/2016 12:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since Handbell arrangements are played by the bell rather than by the voice line (and since the notes from the start are part of the melody, I'd go with A. Why have players wonder why the stems look odd when they can just play the notes?

(I've arranged for Handbells in the past.)

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25.1 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum, Dorico)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/24/2016 12:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ah, I missed that it was for handbells. Yes, handbells are the ultimate opposite of counterpoint!

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 12/24/2016 5:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vaughan said...
Definitely A, or B but with a whole rest in the top voice and stems AND slurs flipped downwards, IOW, the Finale default. As it is, B simply looks wrong.

I see no slurs in the example.
Do you perhaps mean ties?

Peter

Mac Finale, 2014d, 2014.5 & v25.2, Mac OS X 10.12.2, iMac Intel Core i7, 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 12/25/2016 4:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I did indeed mean ties. Sorry, although this would go for slurs, as well (if there were any)!

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25.1, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam