Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Simple Entry Feature  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/13/2016 12:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Per a discussion on the Mac forum, I am at a loss. I was directed to the tutorial on Entry methods, page 14. It states there that if, in Simple Entry, one overfills a measure, it automatically splits the note so that the extra beats are tied into the next measure. I've been using Finale for 20 years and have never had this behavior. What am I missing? If there is a setting I am missing, please educate me.

Zuill

P.S.: With the mouse I enter a half note then a whole note in a 4/4 bar. According to the tutorial, the whole note should split into 2 tied halves spanning the barline. But that doesn't happen.

P.P.S.: Incomplete documentation strikes again. Since I rarely use QWERTY entry in Simple, and the tutorial failed to specify computer keyboard entry with caret, I would never have thought that the behavior would not be available with the mouse. I generally use MIDI input, but I use mouse for quick fixes. Upon reading of the fix for overfilled measure accidentals not tying across a barline, I thought to test it. Too bad the instructions were incomplete.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/12/2016 11:54:42 PM (GMT-6)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/13/2016 1:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've never heard of that feature, either, but I am still a a Simple Entry novice. It seems useful if you had a long string of syncopation across the barline--it was very fast to enter this:

but otherwise not something I would use. When I see a quarter note tied across the barline I don't think "half note," but rather a quarter tied to a quarter. I guess I could get used to using it, though, so it would speed things up a little.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/13/2016 12:29:38 AM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
0024.png
  36KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 188 time(s).

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 12/13/2016 3:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I do all my music entry with Simple Entry, using the computer keyboard, with the caret out. Clicking on the staff with the mouse is just too slow and fiddly.

I use this feature a lot, but one annoying bug was that the "second half" would not carry over any accidentals from the previous measure. So you would have a tied note on two different pitches!

This has been fixed in 25.2. It's something that would have saved me loads of time in the past, and hopefully will in the future. It was the fix that I pointed out which caught Zuill's interest.

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

HaraldS
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HaraldSAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 310

Posted 12/13/2016 3:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very interesting, thanks. Could be a timesaver. Too bad, I always use speedy entry and only rarely use simple. Maybe, I ought to review that ;).

Harald

Finale 3.0-2014.5, german edition, Windows 7
mostly hardware synths/keys, Cubase 7 / trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/13/2016 11:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since I use QWERTY almost exclusively for entry, I'm aware of it. But since it only happens when I make a mistake, it's a "feature" that doesn't matter to me, one way or another.

I know I could turn on "Check for extra notes."

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/13/2016 11:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This behavior works the same whether check for extra notes is on or off.

Zuill

Zoots
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZootsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 385

Posted 12/13/2016 11:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I wish you could turn on an alert (maybe you can) so when a measure gets over-filled and flows into the next one it would beep. I find it cumbersome to correct the timing when I make an error a few measures back and don't realize it. I usually am copying music in from paper, not composing out of my head, when I use Finale so my eyes are on the original.

Any suggestions welcome.

Finale 2012c
JABB3/Aria

Smartscore Pro X2

Windows 10

Intel i7 with more than I need

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/13/2016 12:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Use Speedy Entry and you're good to go.

Zuill

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/13/2016 12:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zoots, the same thing happens to me, but not that often. If I can select and drag the section back into place, I do; otherwise, I grumble and delete.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."