Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Articulations from Finale 2005 in SmartMusic  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

SaxJamesB
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaxJamesBAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 3

Posted 5/10/2005 1:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can't figure out how to get SmartMusic to recgonize the articulations I use in Finale. All my staccato and Accents go unobserved. (like many of my students!) Am I missing something?? If sounds like the pianist has lazy hands.

Thanks,

JB in CA freaked

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 5/11/2005 1:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are you saving the files as Intelligent Accompaniment SM files or Assessment? Is this on the solo line or the accompaniment staff/staves?

Windows XP, all updates

SaxJamesB
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaxJamesBAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2005

Posted 5/11/2005 12:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am saving them as SmartMusic Accompaniment files and the accompaniment part is not the same as finale.The playback is just much more swimmy than in finale. I turned off all reverb in both finale and smartmusic and there is still reverb. The Staccatos are just not short enough. I guess that SmartMusic playback is just not as good as Finale.

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001

Posted 5/11/2005 12:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
SmartMusic playback with SMP's should be identical to what you get in Finale, provided we're not talking about assessment files. Could you post your Finale file? I'd like to see if I can help you make an SMP that plays the same in Finale as SmartMusic. Also, what version of Finale are you using?

Windows XP, all updates

SaxJamesB
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2005

Posted 5/12/2005 12:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am using finale 2005, Maybe my sound card is no good or it has to do with Windows XP SP2. I've just been using the integrated card on my Motherboard, but I'll probably get a Soundblaster Audigy soon. I have found out that I cannot adjust the amount of reverb on my custom file. I can change the reverb with the included smartmusic files, not mine. I have attached the file, I'm not done with it but you'll get the idea. Thanks,

JB

Post Edited (SaxJamesB) : 5/12/2005 5:38:04 PM GMT

File Attachment :
Carmen Fantasy.MUS   99KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 469 time(s).

Tyler
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2001

Posted 5/12/2005 2:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It won't let me post a .smp file on this forum, but if you'd like, I can e-mail it to you. I got a dry .smp using the following steps.

Finale 2005b, SmartMusic 8.5.
Open file in Finale 2005.
Click Speaker icon on playback controls. Choose Custom for the HP style and drag the reverb slider to nothing.
For good measure, I also went to HP Preferences and selected Override Reverb and set that slider to 0%.
Play it in Finale to make sure it's dry (there's a very tiny bit built into the piano itself, but it's not really noticeable).
File menu >> Extract Parts. Extract the saxophone and save it with a different name (ie. Carmen Sax solo)
Back to the score, go to File >> Save Special >> Save as SmartMusic accompaniment. Select the sax as the solo staff, alto sax as the matching instrument, and the piano for the accompaniment. Click the button at the bottom to include a file for display in SmartMusic and choose the extracted solo part. Save the smp file.

Open the file in SmartMusic. Go to the Options menu >> More Options and click the Reverb tab. Set it to none and drag the slider to dry. Play the file.

Windows XP, all updates