Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Tuplets Tool troubles  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

apollon
Registered Member

Click to send apollon email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to apollonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2001
Total Posts : 56

Posted 10/31/2003 12:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am having troubles on tuplets with Finale 2003. I used to write tuplets in former versions of Finale because all was easier and all always worked. Is there a real tuplet problem with Finale 2003 or... ? ok, my problem now is : how could I do write tuplets of 8 eights in the space of 3 quarters (Time Signature 3/4) ? many, many thanks in advance.

Andrew sad

pgburrucker
Registered Member

Click to send pgburrucker email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to pgburruckerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 300

Posted 10/31/2003 2:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am assuming Finale 2002 and 2003 are similar enough for the purpose of this post; I am currently using Finale 2002. I work primarily with speedy entry for input. For a situation like yours, just to be sure it would work (and with the Speedy Note Entry cursor in place), I would type Option-1 and specify exactly the number of eighths taking the place of exactly the number of quarters.

Paul B.

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 10/31/2003 2:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1) In the speedy entry window, deselect "use MIDI Device for Input." Click into a measure, hold option and hit the 8 key. This tells Finale that there will be a tuplet with 8 notes in it. Hit the 4 key 8 times to enter 8 eighth notes. If the number, bracket or positioning are not to your liking, click on the first note of the tuplet with the tuplet tool, or double click on the handle of the tuplet number.

2) If you want to use simple entry, you may want to deselect "check for extra notes," since entering tuplets usually means having more notes than a measure normally has. Enter your 8 eighth notes. Select the tuplet tool, click the first note, and tell it you want 8 eighths in the space of 3 quarters.

You can set the defaults for tuplet positioning in Options>Document Options>Tuplets.

apollon
Registered Member

Click to send apollon email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to apollonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2001
Total Posts : 56

Posted 11/1/2003 8:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Paul and migman,

I have tried the suggestions you sent me and they all have worked, both. However, I will prefer to use Simple Entry because it seems (to me) still more direct. Thank you a lot.

Regards,
Andrew