Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > can anyone tell me why there are strange tempo changes in this file  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Ronwass
bassist/composer/arranger/conductor/bandleader

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonwassAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 1492

Posted 3/24/2014 10:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi. Can anyone tell me why this file slows down for a few bars around measure 7 and then speeds up around measure 47? I have noticed that these strangenesses occur a few bars before a rit, or rollantando.

I have tried clearing all midi data. Didn't work. I tried tempo tapping them away. (worked a bit, but then made the whole section sound a bit seasick.)

Also couldn't figure out how to edit tempo tap data without tapping in more.

Also, tried putting a tempo expression in each bar. (worked a bit.)

Tried playing back without human playback, and that fixed the second section.

I don't need a perfect rendition as this is just for a demo. I'm not a midi expert and have been trying to avoid becoming one.

Those choreographers need to hear the thing you know.

My usual full disclosure:

This copyrighted Piazzolla music being orchestrated under an agreement with a ballet company for upcoming performances.

Many thanks in advance for your expert help.

Ron Wasserman
F2014a user since F2000
Desktop: 2012 i5 Macmini 4g ram OS X 10.9
Laptop: Intel Dual Core, 2g ram, Windows 7
Casio Keyboard midi out to edirol to usb
TG Tools full version

". . . I love music, and anything that interrupts music, I hate."
Astor Piazzolla, Central Park Concert

Post Edited (Ronwass) : 4/11/2014 5:31:35 PM (GMT-5)

Ronwass

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonwassAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003

Posted 3/25/2014 9:18 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi all. At least tell me if you were able to reproduce my problem.

Ron Wasserman
F2014a user since F2000
TG Tools full version

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 3/25/2014 9:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I get the strange changes. I have found solutions to these in the past, but I haven't gotten there yet with your file.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014a now.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 3/25/2014 10:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I used Clear Selected Items, and only chose the item for Dynamics, etc., it fixed the tempo issue (at least the first one). I've got more sleuthing to do.

Zuill

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014a now.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 3/25/2014 1:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can tell you one thing: you have an expression in Miscellaneous called "Slower than the beginning". I deleted it. It gave me a warning that it was being used in the score. i couldn't find where, even in scroll view when I could see the hidden staves. After that, the slowdown in the beginning section disappeared.

Check that out and do some more exploring. You've got quite a mess with all the duplicate expressions in Miscellaneous.

Anyway, I gave you a place to start.

Zuill

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 3/25/2014 2:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I went through the parts one at a time and found that in Cello I, that expression was set to only show in the Part. That's why I couldn't see it in the score. It was affecting the tempo for everyone, but you couldn't see it. The Rollantando was there as well.

You've got a mess on your hands. Time to go through with a fine toothed comb and clean it up.

By the way: when you play one part at a time (in Part view), that expression does not affect the other parts. That was one method used in my troubleshooting.

Zuill

P.S.: That Cello I part also has an accel. at bar 46. I think you need to look at that part as the source of your tempo problems. How did that all get there?

Post Edited (Zuill) : 3/25/2014 2:27:37 PM (GMT-5)

Ronwass

Date Joined Feb 2003

Posted 3/25/2014 5:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you so much "Boss" Zuill. I am several years behind in my need to clean up my expression libraries.

How did that all get there? Laziness on my part I presume. I'm way more interested in the visual output than in getting the best playback, although, like in this project, I seem to need it.

Ron Wasserman
F2014a user since F2000
TG Tools full version

Ronwass

Date Joined Feb 2003

Posted 3/25/2014 7:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow. I have no idea how those expressions got into the parts. I did some copying from another document that was a different arrangement of this same piece, although those expressions wouldn't have belonged there either. the rollantando expression is on a bunch of the parts.

The "slower than at the beginning," was from another piece, although I used that piece as a template for this one. But as I recall, I kept the template at about 1 measure, so I can't imagine how the ghost expressions appeared.

Thanks so much master zuill.

Ron Wasserman
F2014a user since F2000
TG Tools full version

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 3/25/2014 8:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think the tip is worth a brick oven baked pizza. Do you deliver?

Zuill

Ronwass

Date Joined Feb 2003

Posted 3/25/2014 11:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, it's still tarped up for the winter, but you are welcome anytime you are in NY. That reminds me I have to go back to my pizza oven forum and start getting advice for my dough before my big July 4th Bass players party.

Ron Wasserman
F2014a user since F2000
TG Tools full version

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 3/26/2014 1:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Winter? What's Winter? Southern California doesn't have Winter.

Zuill

Ronwass

Date Joined Feb 2003

Posted 3/26/2014 9:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Love southern CA, but I will NEVER cook a pizza with Pineapple, Gouda, and barbeque sauce.

Ron Wasserman
F2014a user since F2000
TG Tools full version