Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > New Beta plug-in: JW Change v0.27  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
168 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

KennethKen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit KennethKen's website.Send a Private Message to KennethKenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 2570

Posted 4/7/2012 10:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari,

When you have "Even Numbered" as a filter option for Note Entries do you mean even numbered beats. I'm having trouble geting it to do only even numbered beats in 6/4 when 8th notes are involved.

Ken

Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Finale 2012, Core i7 920@2.67Ghz, 6GB Ram
Brass music, Woodwind Music, Concert Band Music, CDs, etc.

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 4/11/2012 4:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
I've gotten accustom to the TGTools plugins' "Collapse When Inactive" & "After Go: Close / Inactive" options. Given the modeless nature of your plugins and their usefulness when editing it makes more sense to keep the plugins open while working. However, one can quickly find that they obscure the score, especially JW Change which benefits from having a slightly larger window but may need to alternate focus with the main Finale window. Is there any way you could add an option to make the plugins smaller when they don't have focus or is that stealing Tobias's thunder (minimizing has been around since the early days on windows but I didn't know if there was some sort of plugin developers code of honor).

Actually, the "window shade" code was created by me for PDK Tools once upon a time, to emulate the Mac OS8/9 Window Shade feature. So we've put the actual code for this in the public domain. I can't promise I'll add it to the "new" JW plug-ins though. I might use some other approach later on.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 4/11/2012 4:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
When you have "Even Numbered" as a filter option for Note Entries do you mean even numbered beats. I'm having trouble geting it to do only even numbered beats in 6/4 when 8th notes are involved.

Even numbers is the entries in a measures numbered (from the beginning of each measure) 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. Using the opposite check box will use the odd numbers. It's not related to beats. I personally use it, for example, for 2-layer "barroilage" passages.

Perhaps I should add a similar setting that applies to beats. However, that setting would need to be "inclusive" to all notes that belong to that beat, otherwise the Opposite filter would work in strange ways.
For example: a filter on even-numbered beats in 6/4 on a measure with only 16th notes would trigger all 16th notes appearing on beat 2, 4, 6. Would that be what you're looking for?

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 4/11/2012 4:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
michelp said...
The plug-in allows the horizontal position of note entries to be modified.
But the frequent request for an occasional centered whole note is hard to achieve there. Would you consider to add an option "center in measure" if the thing is doable ?
Unless you have a better idea on how to achieve this purpose.
A word of explanation of the effect of the Relative checkbox would also be welcome.

The "Relative" check box works the same way throughout the plug-in, so adding text to each instance would not be an option IMO. I gradually see that I need to set up an external page with more detailed instructions, specially regarding some of the filters. ("Relative" movement is movement relative to the current position, rather than to the original/cleared position.)

Don't know yet if centering of single notes can be made part of JW Change.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

KennethKen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit KennethKen's website.Send a Private Message to KennethKenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 4/11/2012 7:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...
KennethKen said...

Perhaps I should add a similar setting that applies to beats. However, that setting would need to be "inclusive" to all notes that belong to that beat, otherwise the Opposite filter would work in strange ways.
For example: a filter on even-numbered beats in 6/4 on a measure with only 16th notes would trigger all 16th notes appearing on beat 2, 4, 6. Would that be what you're looking for?
I'd be very happy with that!

Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Finale 2012, Core i7 920@2.67Ghz, 6GB Ram

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 4/28/2012 9:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari,

Will the JW Change plugin do a Beam Stub Flip (in Finale you have to use the Broken Beam Tool)? Finale wants to put the secondary beam on the right in a triplet.
Ken

Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Finale 2012a, Core i7 2700K@3.50Ghz, 8GB Ram

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 4/29/2012 2:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
Will the JW Change plugin do a Beam Stub Flip (in Finale you have to use the Broken Beam Tool)?

Yes, that's the plan. Currently, I haven't yet decided if I should put beam stubs in their own container, or if beam stubs should be a beam filter.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 4/29/2012 8:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...
KennethKen said...
Will the JW Change plugin do a Beam Stub Flip (in Finale you have to use the Broken Beam Tool)?

Yes, that's the plan. Currently, I haven't yet decided if I should put beam stubs in their own container, or if beam stubs should be a beam filter.
That's great news!

Unless you can "flip" other types of beams I'd expect to see Beam Stubs under "Beams" as their own sub-container. Using them as a filter would imply that you could accidentally "flip" other types of beams.

Ken

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 4/29/2012 3:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
JW Change beta 0.17 is now available with the following additions:
* "Note Entries/Duration" added
* "Rests/Duration" added
* Hairpin container is now added with 6 initial tasks (Vertical Position, Visibility, Align Left, Align Right, Make Horizontal, Placement Style). No filters available yet for hairpins.
* Brevis is now available as duration filter for rests and entries

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 4/30/2012 8:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari

The Rests > Duration only changes a rest to a quarter note, regardless of what you specify in the drop-down list!

EDIT: Actually, it uses whatever you last used in Notes > Duration!

I think the US term is "Double Whole Note" for what the English call "Breve". (Not "Brevis"!)

"This is me helping."

Finale 2012, 2Ghz iMac; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.7.3
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 5/1/2012 1:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Beta version 0.18 of JW Change is now available with the following additions/fixes:
* Fixed so "Rests/Duration" actually use the setting it's supposed to use (and not the setting found in "Note Entries/Duration")
* Changed text "Brevis" to "Double Whole Note"
* "Hairpin/Resize" added
* "Hairpin/Reset to Defaults" added
* "Hairpin/Shape" added
* Hairpins Filter added: 9 filters - All Hairpins, Crescendo, Diminuendo, Over Staff, Below Staff, Default opening, Wide opening, Small opening, Slanted
* Position and size of the main window is now stored when Finale exists, so it will stay in that position on the next launch.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 5/5/2012 12:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
JW Change beta 0.19 is now available for download, with the following additions:
* Added "On Staff" Hairpin filter (triggers when below/above filter don't)
* Added "Slurs" container with the following initial tasks: Visibility, Reset to Defaults, Direction, Shape, Engraver Slur, Avoid Accidentals
* Hairpin filter is now split into 2 filters (first one filters cresc or dim, 2nd filter filters the rest)
* "Reset" filter button added (which will reset the currently displayed filter)
* "Beam Stubs" container added with 2 initial tasks available: Reset to Defaults, Direction
* Slurs has 2 available filters: 1st filter filters slur type, 2nd filter can filter Auto-direction, over direction, under direction, engraver slur, reshaped, measure-attached

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 5/9/2012 10:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
JW Change, beta 0.20 is now available for download with the following new features:
* Added a specific stem filter (currently: unbeamed, stem up)
* "Stems/Flip" now works
* "Stems/Length" sets the length of the stem numerically (absolute or relative to default length).
* "Stems/Freeze Direction" added
* "Stems/Resize" now works (but currently only relatively, regardless of the Relative setting)

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 5/17/2012 10:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari,

In the JW Change plugin I'm trying to understand how the "Dotted" and "Beats" filters under Note Entries works. If I want to resize notes and use one of these filters it looks like it resizes everything attached (via a beam) to notes that the filter catches. So notes that aren't dotted or on downbeats are also resized. This is indeed how Finale works but is in contradiction to the descriptive text (last sentence) you put in the DBX. Maybe the wording could be a bit more specific since the idea of a filter is to select things specifically. At the very least "Beats" could be renamed "Downbeats".

Also, is it possible to have duration filters for dotted notes? This would be very helpful when working in compound time. e.g., being able to select dotted quarters only

Ken

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 5/17/2012 12:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can you make a filter for Note Entires that isolates notes with articulations attached to them?
Ken

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 5/23/2012 5:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...

In the JW Change plugin I'm trying to understand how the "Dotted" and "Beats" filters under Note Entries works. If I want to resize notes and use one of these filters it looks like it resizes everything attached (via a beam) to notes that the filter catches. So notes that aren't dotted or on downbeats are also resized. This is indeed how Finale works but is in contradiction to the descriptive text (last sentence) you put in the DBX. Maybe the wording could be a bit more specific since the idea of a filter is to select things specifically. At the very least "Beats" could be renamed "Downbeats".

Also, is it possible to have duration filters for dotted notes? This would be very helpful when working in compound time. e.g., being able to select dotted quarters only
Ken

The entry resizing description text need some serious change. As you know, when resizing entries, it's the resizing of the very first entry in a beamed group that controls the resize for the whole group (and all it's attached data). But when I now read the description for entry resize, it was very unclear (even to me) what I really mean in the text. ;-)

The "Dotted" filter in popup 1 doesn't work in combination with the duration filter in popup 2 - but it should!!! I'll try to make this work in the next beta.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 5/23/2012 5:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
Can you make a filter for Note Entires that isolates notes with articulations attached to them?
Ken

Yes, excellent idea.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 5/23/2012 6:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...
KennethKen said...
Ken

Yes, excellent idea.
Furthermore, would the filter be able to isolate notes with a user selected articulation? e.g., "All notes with a tr attached to it" or, even better, "All quarter notes with a tr attached to them".

Ken

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 5/27/2012 5:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There's no way for Finale to transpose trill articulations and smart shapes to accomodate a key change is there? e.g. In C major a D has a "tr flat" above (trill to E flat) and the passage gets transposed to D major - Finale isn't intelligent enough to know to change that "tr flat" to a "tr natural" (E to F natural trill).

Wonder if a plugin in can be this smart... Jari, you think your Change Plugin could at least let us manually filter for a certain articulation/smart shape on a specific pitch and swap it for another articulation/smart shape?

Ken

SF
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SFAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 1555

Posted 6/1/2012 9:14 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello Jari,

I'm finally able to take some time and test the JW Change plug-in.

Under Hairpins:

Hairpins Align Left and Right: Can it be possible to add Dynamics to the the Horizontal Alignment Point pulldown menu?

I'm still a little unsure on how the UI is built but is it possible to also put a number box like seen in Vertical Position, in the Align Left and Right areas. The reason for this is that when using Measure Border or Note Entries as Horizontal Alignment Point, I will never have the end of a hairpin touch the barline and with note entries, one of my client's style is to start the hairpin to the right of the notehead not directly on the notehead. It would be nice to be able to put in a number to adjust the end points from the alignment point. If this is not possible could you add to the Hairpins list "Right Endpoint Position" and "Left Endpoint Position?"

Thanks for a great plug-in.
SF

MPB 17" 3Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB, 10.6.8 and 10.7.4
Power Mac 2.8 Ghz Qual-Core Intel Xeon, 16GB, 10.6.7 and 10.7.4, (2) 27" Apple Displays, 23" Cinema, 20" Formac "Gallery," Acer 21"...real estate.
Finale 2.6.3-->2012a, Sib. 3.0-->7.0.3, Logic 9.1.3, QuicKeys 4.0.7, DoubleCommand DoubleCommand, Mouse Locator Mouse Locator

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/10/2012 6:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is it possible to add an articulation - or, more specifically, an ornamentioned notes filter to Note Entries/Resize? I have to go through a piece and shrink a bunch of notes that have trill markings over them.

Ken
This type of thing may be beneficial to others who have to include editorial notation for ornaments or other playing techniques (e.g., ways to interpret accents, etc.)

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/17/2012 3:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
Is it possible to add an articulation - or, more specifically, an ornamentioned notes filter to Note Entries/Resize? I have to go through a piece and shrink a bunch of notes that have trill markings over them.

I'm trying to find a way to add more specific articulation classes to the note entry filters, without adding complexity.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/17/2012 3:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
There's no way for Finale to transpose trill articulations and smart shapes to accomodate a key change is there? e.g. In C major a D has a "tr flat" above (trill to E flat) and the passage gets transposed to D major - Finale isn't intelligent enough to know to change that "tr flat" to a "tr natural" (E to F natural trill).

Wonder if a plugin in can be this smart... Jari, you think your Change Plugin could at least let us manually filter for a certain articulation/smart shape on a specific pitch and swap it for another articulation/smart shape?

I think this belongs in another plug-in that I'm planning for the future.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/17/2012 3:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
SF said...
Under Hairpins:

Hairpins Align Left and Right: Can it be possible to add Dynamics to the the Horizontal Alignment Point pulldown menu?

I'm still a little unsure on how the UI is built but is it possible to also put a number box like seen in Vertical Position, in the Align Left and Right areas. The reason for this is that when using Measure Border or Note Entries as Horizontal Alignment Point, I will never have the end of a hairpin touch the barline and with note entries, one of my client's style is to start the hairpin to the right of the notehead not directly on the notehead. It would be nice to be able to put in a number to adjust the end points from the alignment point. If this is not possible could you add to the Hairpins list "Right Endpoint Position" and "Left Endpoint Position?

At this point I don't think it's possible to add a Dynamics to the horizontal hairpin alignment list. (Well, everything is possible, it's more a matter of the amount of user limitations, complexity of the UI and development time.) There are some internal things in Finale that has to be added first.

However, numerical adjustments of the right and left horizontal end point are absolutely planned for hairpins! Please note that the measurement for the hairpin positions will be in EDU.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

SF
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SFAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 1555

Posted 6/17/2012 5:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great. Thanks Jari.

SF

MPB 17" 3Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB, 10.6.8 and 10.7.4
Power Mac 2.8 Ghz Qual-Core Intel Xeon, 16GB, 10.6.7 and 10.7.4, (2) 27" Apple Displays, 23" Cinema, 20" Formac "Gallery," Acer 21"...real estate.
Finale 2.6.3-->2012a, Sib. 3.0-->7.0.3, Logic 9.1.3, QuicKeys 4.0.7, DoubleCommand DoubleCommand, Mouse Locator Mouse Locator