Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > REQUIREMENT TO LOG IN  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Newmusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to NewmusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2011
Total Posts : 30

Posted 10/6/2013 11:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I travel to students that do not have internet connections (farms, homesteads).

It has been most embarrassing not being able to access any pieces. The previous version allowed me to still use my downloaded items when I took my laptop (with my 2nd subscription). So now, my students are using Essential Elements 2000 but now we can't do class properly as we have no backing tracks.

Added to this, I have asked these students to purchase the subscription, telling them that they can get the downloads from school that will still work at home - so now, I am sitting with some fairly difficult conversations, annoyed parents and students and the inability to practice and train my students using a program that I have paid to subscribe to.

We live in an area where internet access is expensive especially in outlying areas.

This is not helpful! and needs urgent rectification!!!

Ronuts
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonutsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2012
Total Posts : 14

Posted 10/10/2013 9:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Exactly! I've complained about this, but I think my complaint is falling of deaf ears. I do not always have an internet connection when I want to practice, so I have a serious problem with having to log in every time I want to practice. The good folks with SmartMusic have tried to placate me by saying that once I logged in, I would not have to log in for another two days, (or something like that), but that doesn't always work either. Sometimes I'm away from the internet for an extended period of time, and I would like to practice during that time. Now I can't, (at least not with SmartMusic). This was not the case in the prior version of SmartMusic. I'm furious, but I'm just a hobbyist and I guess I don't bring in enough money for my complaints to be taken seriously. Your situation though really burns me. SmartMusic is really a great teaching tool, but to deny the benefit of using it to those without an internet connection is unconscionable in my mind, and for what reason? I can see no good reason that's for sure. Of course SmartMusic has a right to do what they want with their product. I think it's a shame though if the likes of your students are going to be left out.

Newmusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to NewmusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2011

Posted 10/11/2013 1:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I received a reply from Peter and he said he will pass this on. This is great - but no date is given, so I'm pretty much stuck.

saxop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 261

Posted 10/11/2013 2:16 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ronuts said...
SmartMusic is really a great teaching tool, but to deny the benefit of using it to those without an internet connection is unconscionable in my mind, and for what reason? I can see no good reason that's for sure.

I think it's easier to understand if you look at the people who would have been most seriously hurt by the former model. With the subscription tied to the machine, as was done before, you would first of all run into many issues with firewalls and security software getting in the way and preventing activation. I'm guessing most schools had more than a few kids who couldn't activate without contacting customer support to work through problems.

But even more troubling would be students who need to use the software on more than one machine. How many students these days have to travel from one parent's house to another's? How many can't always practice on the same computer even in the same house? These scenarios are so common that the old system had to inconvenience large numbers of students at most schools. To be honest, this new system, which solves these issues, feels like the lesser of two evils to me. There are trade-offs to any approach.

Newmusic
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2011

Posted 10/11/2013 2:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
why not have both? win-win

saxop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2007

Posted 10/11/2013 2:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Newmusic said...
why not have both? win-win

There are always trade-offs. Having both would leave the tech support activation problems. It could easily result in a confusing interface (activation by itself was mind boggling at times). It would also certainly result in a large amount of additional testing and debugging time spent for each release, meaning that time would be lost from other functionality that could be helpful.

I guess I'm used to it. Every internet dependent application I use works this way.

Newmusic
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2011

Posted 10/11/2013 3:14 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So, if I read this correctly, you are saying that it WILL NOT happen and those that don't have internet connection - tough!

Not impressed!

saxop
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2007

Posted 10/11/2013 11:31 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Newmusic said...
So, if I read this correctly, you are saying that it WILL NOT happen and those that don't have internet connection - tough!

Not impressed!

I have no idea if it will happen. You're doing the right thing by letting them know it's important to you. The company needs feedback to let them prioritize development.