Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > plug-in idea: mass key change  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Dan Powers
Registered Member

Click to send Dan Powers email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan PowersAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1343

Posted 5/19/2011 9:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Several times I've had the experience of completing a lengthy vocal arrangement with several key changes, then being requested to transpose the entire arrangement by a certain interval.

Currently, while Finale makes it easy to transpose any passage, there's no way to apply mass transpositions to key centers. What I'd love to be able to do is select an entire arrangement (or a portion thereof) and change all key areas by a selected interval.

Is this possible?

Dan Powers

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 5/21/2011 5:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dan Powers said...
Several times I've had the experience of completing a lengthy vocal arrangement with several key changes, then being requested to transpose the entire arrangement by a certain interval.

Currently, while Finale makes it easy to transpose any passage, there's no way to apply mass transpositions to key centers. What I'd love to be able to do is select an entire arrangement (or a portion thereof) and change all key areas by a selected interval.

Is this possible?

That's very much possible.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 5/25/2011 12:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I thought Finale could already do this. Why would there be a need for a plugin?

The manual explains this feature found in the Key Signature Dialogue Box:

Transpose All Keys Proportionally. Select this option if you want Finale to preserve the relationships between any existing key-signature changes. Each key signature (in the range of measures you’ve specified) will be transposed up or down by the same interval as the measure you originally clicked. (If you don’t select this option, Finale will wipe out any key changes, and will notate all the specified measures in the key signature you’ve specified at the top of the dialog box.)

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 5/25/2011 12:05:49 AM (GMT-5)

Dan Powers
Registered Member

Click to send Dan Powers email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan PowersAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1343

Posted 5/25/2011 2:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Oh. blush

Please don't tell me that feature has been there for years and I just haven't been noticing it...

Dan Powers

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 5/25/2011 2:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I've been using it as long as I can remember. It's in 2002 and on, for sure. When I forget to select that, I've paid the price when handing music over to someone, with some interesting results in performance.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"