Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > What's the fastest method to enter notes in Finale 2008?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
32 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

tubaman
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to tubamanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 12

Posted 9/15/2008 6:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've got some old handwritten marching band arragements that I would like to transfer to finale 2008.......
What's the fastest way to do this?
yes,I've got a Edirol PCR-1 midi keyboard hooked up to my laptop computer.
Thanks for all your help icon_biggrin.gif

using Windows xp with Finale 2008..........

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 9/15/2008 7:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Boy, talk about the fastest way to start a fight... <grin>
Since you've got the keyboard (and we assume you're competent with it) you can go with either Simple or Speedy. The big difference between them (other than a few shortcut/keystrokes) is that with Simple you select the duration and enter the note; in speedy, you select the note, and assign it a duration. I think rests are easier with Simple, but that's because I really don't know much about Speedy.
Best advice: try both ways, and see which feels better to you. Then, commit to one or the other, and work on getting up to speed.

Mike Rosen

WebLackey for the Seattle SeaChordsmen

PrintMusic 2008 on the PC: Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.
Nightingale on the Ol' Macintosh

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

gogreen
Registered Member

Click to send gogreen email.Click to visit gogreen's website.Send a Private Message to gogreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 1618

Posted 9/15/2008 7:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tubaman: Mike Rosen's advice is right on the money. I'm a Speedy Entry guy, though. And it took a while to gain speed at it, but it does come. For this reason--I suppose we're quick to adopt habits--I work very little in Simple Entry.

Arthur J. Michaels
Finale 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007c.r2 (using 2007c.r2)
P4, 3.00 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, SB Audigy 2, Windows XP SP3
www.myspace.com/arthur_jonathan

Ronwass
bassist/composer/arranger/conductor/bandleader

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonwassAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 1492

Posted 9/15/2008 9:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
yeah, I'll bite on this fight challenge.

I take issue with saying simple is faster for rests. In speedy, all you do is press a number key 5 for quarter, 6 for half, 4 for. . . you know. Just hold the key down for repeated rests. What could be faster than that. I could inert 80 quarter note rests in about 5 seconds. Wait, I just checked. 90 something quarter rests in 5 seconds.

In all seriousness, both methods are powerful. As they say in the music business, practice makes perfect.

Ron Wasserman
F2007, user since 2000
Desktop: Athlon 64X2, 1918 mb ram, XP Media Center
Laptop: Celeron, 480 mb ram, XP home

". . . I love music, and anything that interrupts music, I hate."
Astor Piazzolla, Central Park Concert

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 9/16/2008 9:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I must be stupid. I have never been able to get rests to appear in Speedy without entering a note, and changing it to a rest. Would somebody please tell me how Ron's instructions are supposed to work from a QWERTY keyboard?

Note: I have NO intentions of changing my entry method. I just want to know how Speedy works!

Mike Rosen

PrintMusic 2008 on the PC: Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Ronwass

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonwassAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003

Posted 9/16/2008 10:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Check use midi device for entry. And don't you dare hook up a midi device, or else you may find yourself switching to speedy.

Funny, this is the opposite advice I gave someone about a week ago here: forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=234492&g=234493#m234493

Check out the graphic there.

Ron Wasserman
F2007, user since 2000

Post Edited (Ron Wasserman) : 9/16/2008 10:09:55 AM (GMT-5)

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 9/16/2008 11:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So if Use MIDI Device for Input is checked, hitting a number key enters a rest. If it's unchecked, it enters a note once you move the carat to the appropriate line or space. How is this Speedy, if I have to keep going to the menu to check or uncheck that selection? Most music I notate has both.
Again, I must be missing something.

Mike Rosen

Ronwass

Date Joined Feb 2003

Posted 9/16/2008 11:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you hold a note on the midi keyboard and then a number on the computer keyboard, you get that note with the specified rhythm. If you just press a number on the computer keyboard, you get that specific rest.

Cheers,

Ron Wasserman
F2007, user since 2000

Flint
silly bear

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to FlintAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 3151

Posted 9/16/2008 12:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
So if Use MIDI Device for Input is checked, hitting a number key enters a rest. If it's unchecked, it enters a note once you move the carat to the appropriate line or space. How is this Speedy, if I have to keep going to the menu to check or uncheck that selection? Most music I notate has both.
Again, I must be missing something.
If you have a MIDI keyboard, it's speedy... very speedy, in fact. If you don't have a MIDI keyboard, it's probably not worth the time and frustration of checking/unchecking the menu item.

Finale 2007c, Garritan Personal Orchestra 2nd ed. Full version
Windows Vista 32-bit, 4GB RAM (3.5GB), Soundblaster Audigy II zs

Piccolo • Flute • Alto Flute • Bass Flute • Oboe • English Horn • Eb, Bb, A, Alto, Bass, Contra-alto, Contrabass Clarinet • Basset Horn • Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone Saxophone • Bassoon

"It is not the job of copyist/arranger/composer to not only make the music clear and readable, but to also make it impossible to play incorrectly." - paraphrased from Bill Duncan

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 9/16/2008 12:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Flint and Ron,
Thanks you both. So I'm not doing anything wrong; Speedy seems to be designed for MIDI input. Since I don't have the room (or the keyboard chops; yes, I know where the notes are, but I'm not a player) I'll stick with what works for me.

Mike Rosen

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4504

Posted 9/16/2008 12:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
Boy, talk about the fastest way to start a fight... <grin>
Since you've got the keyboard (and we assume you're competent with it) you can go with either Simple or Speedy. The big difference between them (other than a few shortcut/keystrokes) is that with Simple you select the duration and enter the note; in speedy, you select the note, and assign it a duration. I think rests are easier with Simple, but that's because I really don't know much about Speedy.
Best advice: try both ways, and see which feels better to you. Then, commit to one or the other, and work on getting up to speed.

Not to mention Speedy's special "CAPS LOCK" mode, in which it also works with "select the duration, then play the notes" rather like Simple.

I am a 99% Speedy + CAPS LOCK user, only ever lapsing into Simple or HyperScribe once in a blue moon for experimental reasons: I soon revert.

Brian

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4504

Posted 9/16/2008 12:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In Speedy + CAPS LOCK mode, rests are entered by playing a triad of any three neighbouring semitones. Sounds strange, but actually is very quick and easy to use.

Brian

Davidmorehead
Registered Member

Click to send Davidmorehead email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DavidmoreheadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 2203

Posted 9/16/2008 1:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
tubaman said...
I've got some old handwritten marching band arragements that I would like to transfer to finale 2008.......
yes,I've got a Edirol PCR-1 midi keyboard hooked up to my laptop computer.
Thanks for all your help icon_biggrin.gif

Since you have a midi keyboard I highly suggest Speedy entry. But, I must say, I love the repitch tool in simple entry. That comes in handy on many occasions. For instance, if all of your section of instruments have the same rhythms and articulations all you have to do is copy the lead part to the other section parts and then change the notes with the repitch tool. This saves tons of time. 

Once you get good with speedy entry you can write music very quickly. And, you don't have to have good keyboard skills. All you have to do is press a note or chord and then press a duration on the computer keyboard. You can go as slow or fast as you need to. The more you do it, the faster you will get. I still have some friends that enter music without a midi keyboard. That blows my mind! I could never do that unless I was on the road or a plane and didn't have my midi keyboard. Speedy has spoiled me! Makemusic did a great job when they designed this. There isn't anything I would want to change. (Hey, I actually said something nice about Makemusic! I even surprised myself.) lol

David Morehead
Finale 2006 on a Sony Laptop

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 9/16/2008 1:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To enter a rest in Speedy without MIDI input mode, use the Shift key--Shift+5 to enter a quarter rest, for example.

Speedy seems to be more flexible in general, thanks to the CapsLock mode. And it's faster to enter a string of different rhythmic values all on the same pitch in Speedy. Especially useful with a drum part, for example. In Simple you need to keep reaffirming the pitch.

If you don't have MIDI, Simple seems better for entering chords. It also has better tuplets than Speedy, and a few other useful things like a key to move a note up or down an octave.

(Finale 2005b on Windows XP)

Doug Blackmore
www.aviatorsmusic.com

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Doug Blackmore's website.Send a Private Message to Doug BlackmoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 2724

Posted 9/16/2008 2:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
tubaman said...
I use speedy entry with my PC keyboard. My piano chops aren't very good.  Speedy and PC keyboard are the fastest for me.  I learned my technique back in the Finale 3.0 days, when simple entry was quite awkward.

Doug Blackmore
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Finale 2006r3, Win 2K Pro

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/16/2008 4:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If MM ever goes under and we're forced to move to Sibelius, Simple users will have a Simpler time of it, I think.

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 9/16/2008 4:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Doug Blackmore said...
tubaman said...

<SPAN class=postbody>I've got some old handwritten marching band arragements that I would like to transfer to finale 2008.......
I use speedy entry with my PC keyboard. My piano chops aren't very good. Speedy and PC keyboard are the fastest for me. I learned my technique back in the Finale 3.0 days, when simple entry was quite awkward.

Doug,
How do you select the pitch? Do you use the arrow keys, or mouse click on the desired space?

Mike Rosen

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/16/2008 6:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The entire left half of the keyboard is mapped to pitches. Rather than Simple's A-G, there are 24 keys devoted to this. The difference is that with Speedy, you don't have to make octave switches as much. But it means memorizing those keys before that entry method is very useful.

Post Edited (Motet) : 9/16/2008 6:12:12 PM (GMT-5)

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 9/16/2008 6:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
The entire left half of the keyboard is mapped to pitches. Rather than Simple's A-G, there are 24 keys devoted to this. The difference is that with Speedy, you don't have to make octave switches as much. But it means memorizing those keys before that entry method is very useful.

Motet,
I could find nothing in the manual about this. (At least, not in the Speedy Entry tutorial.)

Mike Rosen

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/16/2008 6:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In my 2005 manual, it's in the Speedy chapter, under "To enter music in step time without MIDI." Could be they're deprecating Speedy.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
speedy.gif
  25KB (image/gif)
This image has been viewed 801 time(s).

Doug Blackmore
www.aviatorsmusic.com

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Doug Blackmore's website.Send a Private Message to Doug BlackmoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 2724

Posted 9/16/2008 9:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
How do you select the pitch? Do you use the arrow keys, or mouse click on the desired space?

I use a combination of both.  Sometimes I click near the desired pitch and then arrow, and sometimes I just arrow my way up and down until I find the right pitch.  The only thing I find to be a real PITA is the tiny "window" it creates.  I realize in the early days of Finale this was probably done to limit the redraw burden, but I always wished I could resize it taller.  This affects me mostly when entering the 1st Trombone part with all its ledger lines - I really hate the way the staff lines scroll down rather than the window moving up.  Dragging noteheads from ledger lines vertically also results in a bizzare behaviour.

I should perhaps have learned the technique presented above by Motet.  I can't remember why I didn't, because I had originally intended to learn it.  It may have had something to do with the Shift or Caps Lock keys, or maybe I was just too lazy to bother.

I also don't like when they changed the horizontal portion of the "cross-hair" from a thin line to a thick line.

Doug Blackmore
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Finale 2006r3, Win 2K Pro

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 9/17/2008 9:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, guys.
I'll stick to Simple!

(Edit)
Motet,
I went back and looked again. No mention of that in PrintMusic help files. So I wonder if that input method is Finale/Allegro only? Or, if for older versions? The knowledge base does say "Caps Lock with Use MIDI Keyboard unchecked will also allow the use of the alphabet pitch entry keys." But I sure can't make it happen.

Mike Rosen

Post Edited (Mike Rosen) : 9/17/2008 9:24:08 AM (GMT-5)

DCrocker
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit DCrocker's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 511

Posted 9/17/2008 11:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The keyboard layout mentioned by Motet was an excellent system. It seems to have vanished in 2006, when Simple Entry gained enough keyboard shortcuts to make an old WordStar user nervous! I miss it.

Dean

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/17/2008 12:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
With MIDI input unselected,, CapsLock on, typing those keys should move the cursor up or down. I'd be kind of surprised if they broke it. Can someone with Finale confirm?

Post Edited (Motet) : 9/17/2008 3:17:39 PM (GMT-5)

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 9/17/2008 12:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just went back and checked PM2004. It doesn't work there, nor is it mentioned in the Help files.

Mike Rosen