Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > New Beta plug-in: JW Change v0.27  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
168 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

KennethKen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit KennethKen's website.Send a Private Message to KennethKenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 2570

Posted 6/18/2012 1:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have two beam stubs in a measure and want to the move the first one from the right to the left.

If I select the measure and then in JW Change slick on Beam Stubs - Direction - Left - First in Measure/Sel(the rest of the word doesn't show) - Apply, I get an error sound from my computer and nothing happens.

Does "First in Measure/Sel" mean that the plugin is supposed to work on the first Beam Stub in the selected region or the first beam stub in every measure of the selected region?.

Ken

Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Finale 2012a, Core i7 2700K@3.50Ghz, 8GB Ram
Brass music, Woodwind Music, Concert Band Music, CDs, etc.

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 6/18/2012 2:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
I have two beam stubs in a measure and want to the move the first one from the right to the left.

If I select the measure and then in JW Change slick on Beam Stubs - Direction - Left - First in Measure/Sel(the rest of the word doesn't show) - Apply, I get an error sound from my computer and nothing happens.

Does "First in Measure/Sel" mean that the plugin is supposed to work on the first Beam Stub in the selected region or the first beam stub in every measure of the selected region?

In this case, it's the first entry in the measure and/or selection (everything in that popup are related to entries). If no beam stub appear at that first entry, nothing will happen.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

KennethKen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit KennethKen's website.Send a Private Message to KennethKenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/18/2012 4:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...
KennethKen said...

Does "First in Measure/Sel" mean that the plugin is supposed to work on the first Beam Stub in the selected region or the first beam stub in every measure of the selected region?

In this case, it's the first entry in the measure and/or selection (everything in that popup are related to entries). If no beam stub appear at that first entry, nothing will happen.

So if my beam stub is on beat 2 and there are notes in beat 1 (and beat 1 is included in the selection) then nothing happens, right?
If this is the case then "First Entry in Selection" may be a bit clearer.

Ken

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/18/2012 4:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there a way to resize note entries that are not at the default (or 100% size)? I have to resize a bunch of notes that are all over a score at 85% up to 90%. I'm hoping I can do this with a single command but there doesn't appear to be a way JW Change can filter out the 100% notes from the 85% notes.

Ken

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/19/2012 7:14 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Jari,

I'm trying to resize a bunch of dotted quarter notes in compound time but there is no filter option for dotted quarter notes (or any dotted notes). If I choose "Dotted" in the first filter and "Quarter" in the second filter I get an error beep from my computer and noting happens. If I choose "Dotted" in the first filter all "All Durations" in the second all my dotted notes get resized (dotted eights, etc.) which is not what I want.

Ken

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/21/2012 5:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
Is there a way to resize note entries that are not at the default (or 100% size)? I have to resize a bunch of notes that are all over a score at 85% up to 90%. I'm hoping I can do this with a single command but there doesn't appear to be a way JW Change can filter out the 100% notes from the 85% notes.

I'm trying to add this to the next build.

KennethKen said...
I'm trying to resize a bunch of dotted quarter notes in compound time but there is no filter option for dotted quarter notes (or any dotted notes). If I choose "Dotted" in the first filter and "Quarter" in the second filter I get an error beep from my computer and noting happens. If I choose "Dotted" in the first filter all "All Durations" in the second all my dotted notes get resized (dotted eights, etc.) which is not what I want.

I think you reported this earlier as well. This is a bug.

KennethKen said...
So if my beam stub is on beat 2 and there are notes in beat 1 (and beat 1 is included in the selection) then nothing happens, right?

The first item in each filter indicates what the filter affects. "All Entries" means that the filter popup controls entries, "All Accidentals" means that the filter popup controls accidentals, etc.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Post Edited (Jari Williamsson) : 6/21/2012 5:09:25 AM (GMT-5)

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/21/2012 7:15 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...
KennethKen said...
So if my beam stub is on beat 2 and there are notes in beat 1 (and beat 1 is included in the selection) then nothing happens, right?

The first item in each filter indicates what the filter affects. "All Entries" means that the filter popup controls entries, "All Accidentals" means that the filter popup controls accidentals, etc.
Oh, right. Sorry about the double post. It appears that the filter titled "First in Measure/Sel" refers to the first entry in the measure, not the first beam stub. This is a tad confusing for me because I was in the "Beam Stub" section so I assumed "First in Measure/Sel" referred to beam stubs in the measure; so it didn't make sense that the beams stubs at the beginning of the measures below weren't being flipped.  

Like "Beat" (vs Upbeat or Downbeat), it may help us if you can be specific on each filter option's name (though I see you don't have a lot of space to work with in the dropdown). I think it's more intuitive to associate the main section "Beam Stub" with an abbreviated filter option's title than to associate the top selection of a long dropdown with later items in the dropdown (The heiarchy that draws the association isn't as strong if "All Entries" is just another item in the dropdown.). When I'm in the "Beam Stub" section, beam stubs are foremost on my mind. Perhaps a heading (e.g., "Entries") right above each filter's dropdown would help to clue in the user more clearer as to what all the items in the list refer to and avoid the mis-association. 

Post Edited (KennethKen) : 6/21/2012 7:39:06 AM (GMT-5)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
dotted1.jpg
  24KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 696 time(s).

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/21/2012 7:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kenneth: If you want to switch the triplet beam stubs to the left in your example picture, I would suggest the "In Tuplet" entry filter.

Headings are good, but they also bloat the UI, which I try to avoid. However, there is still much work to be done on the filters, specially for beam stubs, beams and stems.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/21/2012 12:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...
Kenneth: If you want to switch the triplet beam stubs to the left in your example picture, I would suggest the "In Tuplet" entry filter.
Good suggestion. I could also get it to work with "Even Numbered", since I know, from exchanges with you that filter option refers to even numbered entires and not even number beats. My main point was that the name of the filter option that I was actually selecting didn't describe what I was actually filtering and left me to draw the association rolleyes, which leaves room for misunderstanding (especially with me). Maybe it's perfectly clear to other users.

I don't think users will mind some "bloat" as long as it serves a good purpose. In this case it could save users the frustration and trouble of coming to the forum to to bother you about what "Even numbered" refers to under section/sub-section, "Articulations/Horizontal Position" - even numbered articulations in the articulation selection DBX? articulations with an existing even numbered horizontal position? even numbered articulations within each measure?;-)

Ken

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/23/2012 1:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
I don't think users will mind some "bloat" as long as it serves a good purpose. In this case it could save users the frustration and trouble of coming to the forum to to bother you about what "Even numbered" refers to under section/sub-section, "Articulations/Horizontal Position" - even numbered articulations in the articulation selection DBX? articulations with an existing even numbered horizontal position? even numbered articulations within each measure? ;-)

Good point. I'll try to implement that in the next version, available shortly.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/23/2012 3:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Happy Midsummer to everyone! That's one of the most important holidays here in Sweden, so here's a new JW Change beta update to celebrate. :-) Beta version 0.21 of JW Change (now available) includes the following additions and fixes:
* "Noteheads/Single Pitch" now accepts lower case note names as well
* "Noteheads/Single Pitch" now deletes unisons by default. This feature can be turned OFF with "JW Plug-in Tool - Options".
* Entries can now be filtered by duration OR by attached articulations
* Filters now have descriptive titles that describes what the different filters do in each container.
* Shape articulations are now supported by the articulation filters. For example the "tr #" articulation as an ornament.
* "Hairpin/Left Position" and "Hairpin/Right Position" that numerically controls the positions of the hairpin end points. IN EDUs - bad UI at the moment...
* 2 new filters for noteheads: "Resized" and "Custom"
* "Tuplets/Delete" added (deletes the tuplet but keeps the notes)
* "Articulation/Delete" added
* "Beams/Group" no longer crashes (but it still isn't hooked up).
* "Notehead/Tie" added
* "Dotted" now works in combination with the duration filters

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/23/2012 3:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

The plug-in is looking really great, Jari. Bravo!

Is it possible for the "Ornament" filter option to work with a font other than Maestro? I have a files with the default music font set to Maestro but utilize custom tr signs (as articulations) using EngraverFontExtras. JW Change doesn't process those notes (e.g., Note Entries/Resize) when I use the "Ornament" filter option.

Ken

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/23/2012 4:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...

* Shape articulations are now supported by the articulation filters. For example the "tr #" articulation as an ornament.
Any possibility of having smart shape ornaments (i.e., custom smart shape) supported?

Ken

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/24/2012 3:11 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
Is it possible for the "Ornament" filter option to work with a font other than Maestro? I have a files with the default music font set to Maestro but utilize custom tr signs (as articulations) using EngraverFontExtras. JW Change doesn't process those notes (e.g., Note Entries/Resize) when I use the "Ornament" filter option.

That should work. Are you sure the entry is on a resizable entry (such as first entry in a beamed group)?

Custom lines will be supported later, but I'm not sure if custom lines will be supported as entry filters.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/24/2012 8:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Here's a test file. Selecting Note Entries/Resize - All - Ornament Articulation - Visible does not affect notes with tr symbols that use EngraverFontExtras as the type face.

Ken

File Attachment :
engraver-tr-filter1.mus   43KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 571 time(s).

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/24/2012 12:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
Here's a test file. Selecting Note Entries/Resize - All - Ornament Articulation - Visible does not affect notes with tr symbols that use EngraverFontExtras as the type face.

Ok, now I see what mean. I'll support those specific slots in EngraverFontExtras in the next beta.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/24/2012 2:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...
KennethKen said...

Ok, now I see what mean. I'll support those specific slots in EngraverFontExtras in the next beta.
Don't forget the double mordent (aka long trillo) in all the fonts (slot 181).
There are also shakes(?) in Broadway Copyist (e.g., slots 68, 143) which don't respond to the Ornament or Idiomatic Articulation filters. And the Jazz Font ornaments don't appear to be hooked up (tr; shakes -e.g., 136, 124; mordent 77, etc.).

Ken

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/24/2012 3:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
Don't forget the double mordent (aka long trillo) in all the fonts (slot 181).

There are also shakes(?) in Broadway Copyist (e.g., slots 68, 143) which don't respond to the Ornament or Idiomatic Articulation filters. And the Jazz Font ornaments don't appear to be hooked up (tr; shakes -e.g., 136, 124; mordent 77, etc.).

Thanks for the additional info! I've documented the bug now.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 6/25/2012 8:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great work, thank you, Jari !

A "cleanup" suggestion :
Chord Symbols -> Transpose (upwards and downwards), says "transpose the note..." instead of "transpose the chord..."

And a suggestion : chromatic transposition of chord symbols would be a welcome addition.

Thank you.

Michel
Finale 2012a, 2011c, 2010b, 2009b, MacOsX 10.7.3 (Lion), Mac Mini Intel Core i7 2,7 Ghz, 8 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. Midi interface : MOTU Midi Express XT. Roland Sound Canvas SC88-vl.

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/25/2012 9:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
michelp said...
And a suggestion : chromatic transposition of chord symbols would be a welcome addition.

Thanks! I added chromatic transposition for chords to the todo list as well. (Chromatic transposition for noteheads already is on the list.)

The wrong words in the help text will be corrected in the next beta.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 7/6/2012 4:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Beta version 0.22 of JW Change is now available for download from the Finale tips site (in the "Beta Versions" section). Additions:
* Accidental filters added: "On Ledger Line". "Sharp+Ledger Line", "Flat+Ledger Line", "Natural+Ledger Line", "Double-Sharp+Ledger Line", "Double-Flat+Ledger Line"
* Notehead filter added: On Ledger Line
* Augmentation dot filter added: Note On Ledger Line
* Single pitch capital flat sign now works as well, for example "BB3"
* Corrected help text for chord transposition.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 8/6/2012 4:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Jari,

Could there be a filter option for upstem vs downstem notes? Specifically, I would be looking for a way to move the trill symbol (and perhaps other specific articulations) horizontally based on the stem direction of the note they're attached to. The problem is discussed at http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=374678&p=1 . Othere's may want to use it with the marcato accents (or even tuplets).

Ken

Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Finale 2012b, Core i7 2700K@3.50Ghz, 8GB Ram

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 8/7/2012 3:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
Could there be a filter option for upstem vs downstem notes? Specifically, I would be looking for a way to move the trill symbol (and perhaps other specific articulations) horizontally based on the stem direction of the note they're attached to. The problem is discussed at http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=374678&p=1 . Othere's may want to use it with the marcato accents (or even tuplets).

I'll see what I can do. If added, I would like to keep the filter logic for the stem container without any inconsistencies.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

KennethKen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 8/7/2012 10:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari Williamsson said...

I'll see what I can do. If added, I would like to keep the filter logic for the stem container without any inconsistencies.
I assume you mean offering the "Upbeam and Stem Up" Stem Type options.

Is there a  reason you don't include "Downbeam and Stem down"? I know one could just check the opposite box but it's like the Layers filter. Offering all the options in the dropdown not only gives an alternate way of doing something (which may be important for some marco programs) but also means the user doesn't have to think as much which is always a good thing.  Intuition/intuitiveness over intellect/deduction.

Ken

Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Finale 2012b, Core i7 2700K@3.50Ghz, 8GB Ram

madyson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to madysonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 1999
Total Posts : 53

Posted 10/18/2012 4:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Change articulations [Swap] function seems to do nothing at all...?

using Finale since version 2.6.3

currently:
- Finale 2009c on AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1500+ with 768 MB RAM / Windows XP home
- Finale 2002b on Power Macintosh G3 266MHz with 576MB RAM / MacOS 9.2.2