Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > MIDI Effects  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Alexbt
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Alexbt's website.Send a Private Message to AlexbtClick to Add AlexEPHS to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 72

Posted 6/9/2002 1:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What are the midi effects and how can I
use them?

(Like Chorus/Reverb)

Also, how do you use sustain pedal in
MIDI? (Make it sound as it the sustain
pedal's on)

Thanks alot!

Alexbt
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Alexbt's website.Send a Private Message to AlexbtClick to Add AlexEPHS to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001

Posted 6/11/2002 12:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I might add that I'm using Finale 2002 in
Mac OS 9.1.

I need to use the 'sustain pedal' feature
soon, so please respond!

Jesper Hendze
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jesper HendzeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 364

Posted 6/11/2002 11:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Alex,

You can make a sustain pedal effect either with Expression or with the MIDI Tool.

For a piano piece it might be practical to have pedal indications play back through expressions:

1. Expression Tool> Double-click a measure to bring up the Expression Selection list and Duplicate a music symbol (like f(orte)> Edit> type opt-shift-8 (that's 'Ped.').
2. From Playback Options: select Controller.
3. In the right drop-down menu select #64 Sustain Pedal.
4. Set to Value: 127> OK

5. Duplicate the 'Ped.' and select Edit.
6. Type Shift-8 (that's '*' = pedal release)
7. Set to Value: 0> OK

These expressions will work if you have both piano staves set to the same MIDI channel.
Otherwise it's better to use the MIDI Tool:

1. MIDI Tool: double-click a measure to bring up the MIDI Tool window.
2. Select Continuous Data in the MIDI Tool menu.
3. Controller 64 = Sustain Pedal is the default selection> OK.
4. Double-click and drag to the right above the note you want to affect.
5. MIDI Tool menu: select Set To…
6. enter 127.
7. Click the up or down arrow in the MIDI Tool window to get to the other staff.
8. Go to the MIDI Tool menu> Set To…> 127

Do the same thing where you want the pedal to stop, except that you enter the value '0'.

Jesper

Alexbt
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2001

Posted 6/15/2002 11:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh it works! I realize now that I had
forgotten to set a value of the sustain and
that's why it wouldn't work.

Thanks so much!