Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Free trials of Dorico starting Nov 30  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Shnootre
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ShnootreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 952

Posted 11/29/2016 7:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
According to the man himself:
http://blog.steinberg.net

Also a bunch of improvements in the first update. Curious to give it a try.

Daniel Sonenberg
Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
A bunch of sample libraries
Finale 25
Logic X

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 11/29/2016 8:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looked at the release notes:

Instruments with (no key) in their names (e.g. French horn, timpani, etc.) are
now correctly created with no key signatures, and instead show accidentals on
every note as necessary.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems like a terrible idea to base whether to have a key signature or not on the instrument name. One may well want to say "Horn in F" and not have a key signature, or say "Horn" and have one. And to have a key signature for Timpani you need to call it "Timpani in C"?

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Shnootre
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ShnootreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 952

Posted 11/30/2016 1:31 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah that is nuts. There must be more to it...

Daniel Sonenberg
Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
A bunch of sample libraries
Finale 25
Logic X

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 11/30/2016 7:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Don't forget that there is still a lot missing from Dorico. The demo will last for 30 days, after which it will not run at all. And, I seem to recall reading that demos will no longer be available after a certain date. There is a Dorico user forum where you can get a feel for the current state of the software.

The competitive upgrade is about $300 which is a fully functioning forever version - you own it and have unlimited time to learn the software, install the periodic upgrades, and perhaps do some projects. To me, that seems to be the way to go. If one is serious about music engraving, there is a certain "cost of doing business" and a significant commitment of time to attempt to move to the future.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 11/30/2016 12:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm told that the names used to determine keylessness are just the user-interface names, not the names necessarily printed in the music, so never mind.

I'm still using a 32-bit machine, so can only kibbitz. I need to remedy that. I'll probably go the crossgrade route as N. suggests. If ultimately I use Dorico or not, so be it. I did a similar thing with Sibelius--bought the crossgrade but never used it, which is OK.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 11/30/2016 11:40:16 AM (GMT-6)