Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > How do I make SmartMusic play a drone note?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Matt Dalton
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Matt DaltonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 1

Posted 1/9/2005 7:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm new to SmartMusic and certainly have more to learn, but I've tried the controls and looked through the help files and can't figure out if it's possible to make SmartMusic play a sustained drone note at a selected pitch.

Here's what I've looked into with no solution:
* I was hoping this would be a feature of the tuner.  I read about the 'hold reference note' feature that can be invoked using a foot pedal, but that doesn't do it.
* The warmup feature was another place I looked for this, but it doesn't provide a feature to sustain the pitch.  (The ability to toggle on then toggle off would be ideal.)

Does anyone know if or how this can be done?

In case you're wondering why...I'm a trumpet player and like to use mouthpiece buzzing exercise as part of my daily practice. The drone simply note provides the pitch reference that you play exercises over.  I'd like to set the drone for F, play the pattern, move it to E, play the pattern, etc.

Thanks for your help.
- Matt

DR. Mac
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DR. MacAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 8

Posted 1/9/2005 9:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
maybe you can write whole notes in finale and play them back as you practice,bring up the tuner if possible if you need a visual to help you hold the pitch. just a guess

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 1/11/2005 2:45 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There isn't a way to do this in SmartMusic directly. However, if you have Finale you can make SMP SmartMusic files with the notes that you want to use as a drone. For each note, add a "wait for end of note" marker. When you bring the file into SmartMusic, set the solo line to play and let the program hear itself through the microphone. It will stay on the same note until you hit the foot pedal or space bar to make it go to the next note.

Windows XP, all updates