Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > file type for printing?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Jon Newton
Registered Member

Click to send Jon Newton email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jon NewtonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 315

Posted 5/4/2002 10:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I want to take Finale 2002 files to a print
shop for printing in a book.

What files type(s) do folks typically make
for a print job? Are there differences in
quality among file types?

The printer I went to asked for a PDF file. I
tried to make one using Adobe Acrobat,
but .mus apparently is not a supported
file type. Is there a way to may PDF files
from Finale files?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 5/4/2002 10:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
With Finale's Graphics Tool you can export a page as a graphic, e. g. a TIFF graphic. And you can convert a TIFF graphic to a .pdf file.

You have the Acrobat package. With Acrobat you can combine several .pdf file to one .pdf file of multiple pages. If your Finale file consists of more than one page, you can export each page as a graphic and combine the graphics in one .pdf file.

Peter

Vdrummer
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VdrummerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 151

Posted 5/4/2002 12:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The way I create .pdf files is to select
Acrobat PDF Writer in the (printer)
Chooser menu and then print the Finale
file. This way I don't have to export it or
convert it to a graphic file first. I hope this
helps!

Jon Newton
Registered Member

Click to send Jon Newton email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jon NewtonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 315

Posted 5/4/2002 5:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually, I don't have Acrobat, Adobe lets
you process a few files free over the net.

When I made a .pdf out of a tiff, it looked
awful. The tiff was made with a resolution
of 72. When I tried to print the tiff by itself,
it also looked awful.

Assuming you don't use .pdf, what file
format do you use for print shop printing,
and what resolution?

Slandrom Musik
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Slandrom MusikAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 380

Posted 5/4/2002 7:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I always make EPS-files. That is what my
print shop want and the quality is
outstanding. You can also send them via
e-mail with no problems.

Björn

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 5/4/2002 9:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jon,

No wonder that the TIFF looked ugly at a resolution of 72 dpi, since 72 is the screen resolution. For printing, try at least 300 dpi (and for really professional output the publishing company might ask for 600 dpi).

I understand that you don't have the Acrobat package. This means that you can't combine .pdf files. But you can still convert TIFFs to .pdf. There are some freeware programs that can do the conversion. And if you have Mac OS X, you have the option in the OS: Open the TIFF with the Mac OS X program Preview, hit Command-P, in the Print dialog box go to the pop up menu, and select "Output Options", and you will find an option for saving as .pdf.

Peter

mknoll
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mknollAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 207

Posted 5/5/2002 1:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have found that the most reliable way to create pdf files from Finale on a Mac is to use a postscript laser printer driver (I usually use the laserwriter driver from Apple although I have also successfully used Adobe's) and use the "print to file" option, being sure to embed all fonts. This creates a postscript file that can be turned into a pdf with Acrobat Distiller.

I know that this doesn't help if you don't have the full Acrobat program, but if you are planning to send a lot of files to a printer it would be a very good investment. If this is just a one-time thing you could just take the raw postscript file to the printer. Most shops will accept them but there are two disadvantages--they are much larger than pdf files and you can't see the graphical representation of the file on your screen for proofing purposes.

I believe that Adobe recommends using the PDF Writer print driver only for simple text documents. I tried using it for Finale files way back when and never could get it to work properly.

Cheers,

Mark Knoll

Vdrummer
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VdrummerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 151

Posted 5/6/2002 11:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've only used the PDF Writer print driver
when I've done it and have never have
had any problems. If you're interested in
checking out the quality of doing it this
simpler way, I have 3 files on the
www.Drummergirl.com website in .pdf
format. Click the lessons page link and
look for my files. Good luck!

Brad Schlueter

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 5/7/2002 3:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you are sending out to a printer, it is
safe to assume that the printer has a
PostScript device, so I would avoid any
bitmapped formats like tiff. You will get
the best results by using eps (and dont
forget to send the fonts). If you need to
make a PDF, it will look better made from
eps than tif.