Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > reverse, unattached tie  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 4/27/2016 12:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find it...

I have an auxiliary measure which starts with a tie from the previous, unshown measure. How do I get that backwards "half tie"?

I tried using an expression, but the closest thing I found was too thick.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 4/27/2016 12:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try the "Edit Frame" box and check "Tie End".

I suspect you know how to get there, but for anyone interested:

√ Select Speedy Tool, click on note you want to edit
√ Press Escape, then Option/Click (Mac) on the same note
√ Edit Frame appears

N.

OSX 10.8.5
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work
Finale 2014.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

“And as you know, you don’t tell time–time tells you.”
–George Carlin

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 4/27/2016 1:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
N. Grossingink, that only worked on the first measure of a second ending. Does it work for ALL measures now?

I have had to create a normal tie, then drag it backwards with the Special Tool.

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 4/27/2016 1:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Backwards ties can also work if the measure is the first measure of a Coda, and the tie actually performs as it should. I believe it has to be a measure starting a system.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 4/27/2016 1:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I went with Christopher's method. It isn't a coda, or repeat. It's a standalone system of three measures at the end, showing an optional key change.

Thanks, all!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 4/27/2016 2:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Christopher Smith said...
N. Grossingink, that only worked on the first measure of a second ending. Does it work for ALL measures now?

No, that's not what I meant. Mike said:

I have an auxiliary measure which starts with a tie from the previous, unshown measure.

I was under the impression that this measure existed, but was hidden somehow. That wasn't the case, obviously.

N.

OSX 10.8.5
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work
Finale 2014.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

“And as you know, you don’t tell time–time tells you.”
–George Carlin

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 4/27/2016 2:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry I wasn't clear. In the score, which is about 90 measures, there is an optional key change in m. 54. My addendum shows mm 53, 54, and 55 rewritten to make the change (a half tone up bump), after which the singers should return to the score and sing to the end in the new key. I don't know if this is common in the real world; I've never seen it except in barbershop.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

ttw
Registered Member

Click to send ttw email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ttwAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 776

Posted 4/27/2016 2:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And I read the title as referring to men's formal dress.

Finale 2014.5
GWI, GPO4, GPO5, JABB 3, Steinway Basic, COMB2

Windows 10 Pro HP Envy Desktop
Windows 10 Home HP Portable

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 4/27/2016 4:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The unattached tie is common on Looney Tunes cartoons.

Zuill

P.S.: This demo file has a reverse tie (tie end) created in the Speedy Edit Frame. When it occurs at the beginning of a system, it generally works.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 4/27/2016 4:45:29 PM (GMT-5)

File Attachment :
Tie End.musx   84KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 293 time(s).

jim dukey
Registered Member

Click to send jim dukey email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jim dukeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1082

Posted 4/27/2016 4:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I thought "Option/=" gave reverse tie, maybe in Speedy.

Molecular Computer, Powered by Fusion in a Jar. Finale 3000, Wireless ESP Module, No Physical Interface, Printed Parts Manifest by The Universe,
SOOOO Boring! Now Everybody is Friggin' Mozart.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 4/27/2016 4:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ah. In Windows, in Simple Entry, Shift-T. In my example, I accomplished that in the measure starting a system.

Zuill

P.S.: I should mention that the previous system must not have anything in it in the same layer. If there is a need for music there, use a different layer. Another approach is to use a cutaway measure at the end of the prior system.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 4/27/2016 4:55:51 PM (GMT-5)

Ward Baxter
Mercenary of Music

Click to send Ward Baxter email.Click to visit Ward Baxter's website.Send a Private Message to Ward BaxterAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 1999
Total Posts : 280

Posted 5/2/2016 3:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike, we need to do this all the time in hymns with 3, 4, and even 5 endings which often don't follow nice little rules about where the measures appear in a given staff. What we generally do is create forward ties and manually adjust with the tie tool (under special tools). It is a hassle, but the appearance is what is desired and it is fairly stable once the layout has been pretty much locked in. The rule for backward ties (using OPT =) is the same as the Edit Frame box. In fact, I don't think the Edit Frame box allows you to do things you can't in the interface anymore (used to be able to pre-2005 at least). Zuill had a great tip a few years back that works great in many scenarios that may work for you:

forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=296332
6/29/2010 Zuill said...

There are situations (as in an ending following a "skip ahead" command), that won't have an actual repeat sign, but you still might need the backwards tie. There is a trick: put the repeat sign there (this then shows the tie) and then create a staff style to hide the repeat. Works like a charm, and should playback correctly (no guarantees here).

Ward Baxter
Finale 2012c (primary), 2014.5 (testing), 2014d, 2002 (stability) and every version since 3.0
TGTools, Forza, Patterson...all the goodies!
Mavericks, Yosemite/El Capitan (testing), Windows XP (yes, XP)

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 5/2/2016 5:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good idea, Ward. I'll try it!

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com