Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Oops - Took advantage of the $99 V25.1 upgrade BUT!?!?!?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Russk
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RusskAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 44

Posted 11/28/2016 10:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello folks,

Need some advice - thanks in advance.

I've got a 13" mid-2014 MBP - Running Mavericks 10.9.5 2.8GHz Intel Core i5 - 8MGB 1600 DDR3
I've been using Finale 2014.5 , - there have been some issues - but as long as I don't use other programs, wi-fi, spotify, etc., things run smoothly.

Today I took advantage of the $99 V 25 upgrade (cyber Monday) and downloaded it. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would not be supported by the system I've been running in a less than 2 year old MBP but alas - I see it can only run on 10.10-10.12 thus I cannot install it but will keep it on my HD until this is resolved.

I have been very reluctant to go to Yosemite, El Capitan and now Sierra - mainly because of other software that I absolute need to continue - MAINLY Quicken 2007! (I purchased their upgrade that was compatible with Lion and it's been working great since and is a lifeline for me). The Quicken world has never agreed on whether or not strange things will happen when downloading the ensuing new Mac OS systems.

SO - knowing that Finale has had some problems with Sierra - can anyone chime in as to whether I should take a chance and go to Yosemite, El Capitan or even Sierra and if so - how would I download those upgrades. Nowadays in my Mac Software Updates it only lists Sierra (for free) to upgrade to. I'm sure there must be some free links for Yosemite and El Capitan.

Any advise is most welcome and thank you much in advance.

Best,

Russ K

Michael Mortilla
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Mortilla's website.Send a Private Message to Michael MortillaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 2378

Posted 11/28/2016 11:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I run El Cap (10.11.6) sans the last Security Update and everything seems to be working fine, including Quicken 2007, so don't let that stop you. What stopped me was the loss of the movie window and the untenable workaround of using the DAW as a transport and movie window via Rewire. DISASTER! I'm on F2014.5 and I'm done. MM offers a free 30-day money back guarantee (at least they did) and I was thankful I could take advantage after loyally updating every year since 1996. So sorry to loose this app after 20 years. I'll stay in F 2014.5 as long as possible. Then what???!

Os X 10.11.5
Mac Pro (2013) 32GB RAM;
MOTU Track 16

Finale 2014.5; Digital Performer 9.1

MIDI Life Crisis

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeHalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 217

Posted 11/29/2016 12:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Quicken 2007? Really? Quicken Deluxe 2017 for the Mac is $42.52 at Amazon

/www.amazon.com/Quicken-2017-Personal-Budgeting-Software/dp/B01K4RA9RW/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1480398119&sr=1-1&keywords=quicken+mac+2017+upgrade

With the changes in the tax laws over the last 10 years, I think this should pay for itself—it does for me.

Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2011c, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.07, GPO 5
2010 iMac i7, 32G RAM, 2T SSD, Late 2013 MacBook Air, OS 10.12.1
MOTU Digital Performer 9.12, 9.02, Logic Pro X 10.2.4

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeHalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 217

Posted 11/29/2016 1:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You cannot just download OS 10.10 or 10.11 unless you had done so before.

You can get it from anyone who has done so, however. This will be available to them in the App Store.app under Purchased.

Download the version you want. When it wants to install, quit. You will now see the installer file in the Applications folder.

Compress/zip/archive the installer (this had different names depending on the OS). This step is very important or the installer won't work on your Mac.

Transfer the zipped copy to your Mac -- USB stick, SDHD card, Ethernet, Dropbox... doesn't matter how. Being just under 6G, email is out. Copy to the desktop. Double-click to unzip.

Run the installer. When done, it will prompt you to log into the App Store where you register it. It will now show up as Purchased in case you ever need to download again.

Trash the installers and the zipped copies on both Macs.

If Yosemite, repair Permissions in Disk Utility.

If El Capitan, copy and paste the following command in Terminal to repair Permissions. It will ask for your admin password.

sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

Permissions repair is neither possible nor necessary in Sierra.

Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2011c, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.07, GPO 5
2010 iMac i7, 32G RAM, 2T SSD, Late 2013 MacBook Air, OS 10.12.1
MOTU Digital Performer 9.12, 9.02, Logic Pro X 10.2.4

Post Edited (MikeHalloran) : 11/29/2016 12:11:04 AM (GMT-6)