Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Custom percussion playback help  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

814jazzer
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit 814jazzer's website.Send a Private Message to 814jazzerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2011
Total Posts : 12

Posted 1/7/2016 10:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, folks

FIRST QUESTION / ISSUE
How do I add MIDI note assignment to instruments added to a percussion layout?
Specifically, I'm modifying "Basic Orchestral Percussion" layout to include sounds such as 'closed hi-hat,' 'open hi-hat,' 'hi-hat with foot,' etc. I've added these to the layout but the MIDI Note Assignment is blank.

SECOND QUESTION / ISSUE
On the same subject: how do I get playback for percussion sounds that show up on a Finale dropdown menu (but may not be in the sound bank of my MIDI controller)?
For instance, "snare rim" and "ratchet" are options in Finale, but I cannot get any playback.
If a tone is listed in Finale, shouldn't there be some sort of corresponding "built-in" sound that does not require my MIDI controller?

Many thanks for your help,
Rick

Finale 2014d
iMac 2013 2.7 GHz i5 — running Yosemite
M-Audio Keystation 49e

~ Rick

www.HirschMusic.com

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
screenshot 1.png
  110KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 309 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
screenshot 2.png
  109KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 335 time(s).

File Attachment :
perc playback test.musx   98KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 323 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 1/7/2016 10:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you select the box to only show notes in the currently selected map, and the type in the slot above the checkbox shows the name in italics, then the sound is not available in that map.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

814jazzer
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit 814jazzer's website.Send a Private Message to 814jazzerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2011

Posted 1/7/2016 10:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does this mean that, even if that option is de-selected, then I still can't add new sounds to that map?

As a side note, I had already de-selected that option before adding the new notes. (See the attached Finale doc).

Many thanks, Zuill.
Rick

~ Rick

www.HirschMusic.com

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 1/7/2016 11:14 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Rick,

Both your screen shots show the Percussion Layout Designer.

To get a specific sound, you can
- choose a Percussion MIDI Map that has the sound,
- edit an already existing Percussion MIDI Map,
- create a new Percussion MIDI Map.

This is done in the Percussion MIDI Map Editor.

As Far As I Know, Percussion MIDI Maps are not saved in the Finale document, but rather in a Finale folder.
But you perhaps already knew that.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2012c, 2014d & 2014.5, Dolet 6.6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.5, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/7/2016 11:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
814jazzer said...
Does this mean that, even if that option is de-selected, then I still can't add new sounds to that map?

As a side note, I had already de-selected that option before adding the new notes. (See the attached Finale doc).

Many thanks, Zuill.
Rick

When you deselect the option, you can choose instruments that are not in the chosen map. However, as you have discovered, they won't play back. If you want to know which sounds will play back, then choose the option.

Zuill

814jazzer
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 1/7/2016 2:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill...

Soooo....how do I get those sounds to playback?
I've take Peter's advice and worked on editing percussion MIDI map. This worked for the sounds that my MIDI controller has, but not for other sounds listed in the drop-down menu, like "Snare Drum Rim."

Rick

~ Rick

www.HirschMusic.com

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/7/2016 3:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have been able to create a hybrid layout in the past using sounds from 2 different maps by having one map assigned to each of 2 layers. I don't know if that will work for you. It takes some diligence and savvy to get it done, but can work.

Zuill

SLHines
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SLHinesAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 194

Posted 12/20/2016 9:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill could you elaborate on how you did the hybrid layout? And how did you save the hybrid so that it can be used? I'd like to try that as the maps I have created have resulted in many notes that don't playback.

Also, is there anyway to get a newly created map to show up in the Sound menu of the score manager or are we stuck with those selections provided (forced upon us) by MakeMusic?

Many thanks

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Motu 828MKii and all the plugins you can name.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/21/2016 1:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We just had a thread on this in the recent past. I think I posted a sample. I'll have to look for it.

Zuill

P.S.: http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=488950&g=489071#m489071

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/21/2016 12:50:06 AM (GMT-6)