Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > New Help Center  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
93 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 8/22/2016 10:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's still broken.  I used to look at it all the time when it was working, click "Details", and never was there less than a full page of guests and registered users, not jut one or two.  Also, look carefully.  Most of the time you are not registered yourself as online!

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 10586)

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB [Display adapter]
ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, Realtek HD Audio

Finale 2014.5.6359
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0
Sharpeye 2.68, PhotoScore Ultimate 7.0.2, SmartScore X2 Pro 10.5.8

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 8/22/2016 10:25:16 AM (GMT-5)

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 8/22/2016 10:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm still seeing the same thing I saw before. So, I guess it is broken.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 8/22/2016 11:45 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you're lucky you may see a name besides yourself. Note the "0 Guest(s)"--that used to be a substantial number.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 8/26/2016 12:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is the new Help Center in operation? I can't seem to connect.

Zuill

P.S.: I guess it's up again. Its format is hard to follow for me.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 8/26/2016 12:44:13 PM (GMT-5)

bpalm
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bpalmAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2014
Total Posts : 34

Posted 8/26/2016 1:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron. said...
If all the experienced users who have kept this forum going for so long boycott the new one until basic issues that we have brought up are addressed then maybe, just maybe, someone will pay attention.

Pretty much what happened with removing the scanning feature because John Mackey and groupthink folks were misinformed and basically boycotted MakeMusic back to the stone age. Well, boycotted by complaining and pouting.
Result? Scanning features gone.

Ron I don't see why your idea wouldn't work. Let's try and boycott this forum change. We know MakeMusic has caved before, they'll cave again. Precedent has been set. Who's with Ron?

If we all pout and boycott enough, we'll get what we want. Mackey style. :)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/10/2016 3:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I posted in the new forum a couple of times at the beginning, but decided it was not for me. Everyone once in a while, now, someone wanders in and posts something (often off-topic) and I get email. I can't figure out how to unsubscribe. If I click the Unsubscribe link in the email, it just leads to the forum. I log in, but don't see where to cancel. Does anyone know?

Windows 7, MIDI input

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 1723

Posted 9/10/2016 8:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Motet

At the top of the screen click on "My activities"
On the "My Activites" screen click on "Following"
From there, you can see which threads you are subscribed to, and unsubscribe.
You will have to do this each time you contribute to a topic.

Cheers...

Daz. :o)

------------------------
Finale 2006-2011, Finale 25 - Win7 64 bit
Core2 Duo i7-4790, 16Gb Ram, Soundblaster Z

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/10/2016 9:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks! I don't think I would have figured that out.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 9/11/2016 7:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yesterday I received an email in response to a question I posted on this new forum when it came into existence--a month ago now?--and, as is often the case in responses of this sort, it did not address my question.

Sorry, MM, but I will not be using this new "improved" forum.

Finale 25

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/11/2016 12:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, it turned out I had four "subscriptions" from weeks ago.

Unfortunately for the poor new people needing help, the Finale website really pushes the new forum, and MM seems to be putting zero effort into it. Is there a still a link to here? Perhaps these forums will be limited from now on to old users. I have to say these forums have been crucial to my mastering such a complex program, the nature of which dictates that those who use it day in and day out are going to be more expert on how to use it than customer support people, who are better focused on operational issues.

Windows 7, MIDI input

gogreen
Registered Member

Click to send gogreen email.Click to visit gogreen's website.Send a Private Message to gogreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 1618

Posted 9/11/2016 12:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Somebody said...
Unfortunately for the poor new people needing help, the Finale website really pushes the new forum, and MM seems to be putting zero effort into it. Is there a still a link to here? Perhaps these forums will be limited from now on to old users. I have to say these forums have been crucial to my mastering such a complex program, the nature of which dictates that those who use it day in and day out are going to be more expert on how to use it than customer support people, who are better focused on operational issues.

Here, here, Motet! Well-said. And losing such a resource would be a shame. For MM, that should be unthinkable.

Arthur J. Michaels

/www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011b.r2, 2014d, 2014.5, Finale 25
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home x64
Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Aria Player 1.872, Audacity 2.1.2
Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
Casio WK-3000
M-Audio AV40 monitors
AKG K-240 Studio headphones
Brother MFC-L2740DW printer

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 9/11/2016 1:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They want us to come over, so their "customer success" people won't have to answer the questions.

I, for one, will not.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Ralph L. Bowers Jr.
Polymathist

Click to send Ralph L. Bowers Jr. email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ralph L. Bowers Jr.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2012
Total Posts : 883

Posted 9/11/2016 1:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The glaring deficiencies of the "New Forum" have been pointed out to them (MM) from its launch. If they choose not to act upon that information and bring it to the point where it needs to be.......well that's on them than and they will lose most of the knowledgeable posters on this forum from migrating to that one.

Finale 2010b, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 TGTools Pro, Patterson plugins, JW plugins (current for each Finale Instalation)
Sibelius 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5.1, 8.4.2, Write Score Sound Sets, TMT Publisher Bundle Plugins, Bob Zawalich plugins, Dolet 6.6
Print Music 2004, 2010a, 2011a, 2014a
Progression, Progression 2, Progression 3, Notion 4, [Notion 5, (bought but not installed)update finally installed]
Pro Tools 9.5, Reaper
Kontakt 5
GPO4, GPO5, World Instruments
SmartScore X Pro, SmartScore X2 Pro, PhotoScore Ultimate 6 & 7 & 8.04 ( 7 has some utility----best of those available, 8 has some issues that need fixing)
M-Audio "Oxygen 25" Midi input keyboard (recent addition 2014)
Systems (5) // Windows XP Pro (32bit), 2@ Windows 7 Pro, 8.1 Pro, Windows 10 64 bit, 4GB - 16GB RAM
Paper & Pencil

BMus, MM (Musicology)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/11/2016 1:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Given better forum software I would participate, and tying things to customer-support tickets is not a bad idea at all. But I think the current software is unworkable and beyond saving (I suspect the developer had zero experience in social media), so they would need to bite the bullet and start over. They may have signed a multi-year contract, though.

Off the top of my head, some things it needs:

• Attachments and inline graphics and URLs
  • Remembering your place in threads you've read
  • A compact list of topics and sub-forums sortable by date of last posting
  • The ability to "forget" a thread
  • No email notification by default (the current method is ridiculous)
  • The ability to edit or remove a posting you have second thoughts about
  • The ability to be anonymous (that is, like here have an alias without publishing your name, but still requiring a consistent login)
  • Search
  • An employee who devotes full time to being a moderator
  • The overall concept of an ongoing resource rather than problems to be dealt with and closed
  • Incorporation of legacy postings from here (I don't think this is at all impossible)

Windows 7, MIDI input

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 9/11/2016 2:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
… Is there a still a link to here? Perhaps these forums will be limited from now on to old users …

There is still a link, but it is perhaps not so obvious:

Click the Finale logo to get here.
Click the underlined word forum to get to the new forum.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2012c, 2014d & 2014.5, Dolet 6.6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.5, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Community.jpg
  35KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 312 time(s).

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 9/11/2016 2:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In Make Music's own words:

Our Customer Success team will be actively participating in our new help center - We hope to create a more transparent view into product development and foster helpful discussion related to the use of our products.

So far that has not happened. Did they think we wouldn't notice?

I participated fairly often in this new group from the start, but am quickly losing interest. The level of discussion is not nearly as high as on this here group. Here, experts and newcomers to Finale can rub elbows, learn the basics and more advanced techniques. Don't fix what's not broken. Just give us a forum exactly like this one only with updated software.

N.

OSX Mavericks 10.9.5
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2014.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/11/2016 3:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you're at www.finalemusic.com/support and you click the Community link at the left, you indeed get the page Peter shows, but if you click the much more prominent Learn More button under Community in the main part of the page you're taken straight to the new forum.

Windows 7, MIDI input

LP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to LPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2015
Total Posts : 22

Posted 11/17/2016 2:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have used Google Drive. It actually CHANGED the content of my files - more than twice !!! This is NOT a good idea at all.