Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Microsoft buys out Coda and MakeMusic!  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Ted Doerksen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ted DoerksenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 98

Posted 3/31/2002 7:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can't believe it! What are they doing?

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 3/31/2002 8:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And Finale 97 was rereleased today in a 5-year anniversary edition.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

Tim Rowland
...Rowland...Rowland, though the streams are...

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Tim Rowland's website.Send a Private Message to Tim RowlandAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 1250

Posted 3/31/2002 10:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And to top that all off, I went and bought Sibelius today...it's just soooo good!

:P

Tim

ronny
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ronnyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 581

Posted 3/31/2002 11:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
according to coda news release, microsoft will ban any further updates or improvements. says microsoft product development chief: ..."people are always looking for a quick fix. music notation is not on our short list for improvement. our priorities right now are cash flow generation, and coda is not positioned for such leverage...." former coda executives proclaim that all updates for finale 2002 must be downloaded by april 10, 2002, as they will then be disabled.

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 4/1/2002 2:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As usual, you guys have it all screwed up. Coda was not purchased by Microsoft. It was purchased by G-Vox, who have not announced the fact that the next Finale update will automatically replace Finale with the 1979 version of Encore.

Since this policy will never be announced, play it safe and reject all future updates!

ronny
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ronnyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 581

Posted 4/1/2002 2:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
sibelius now said to be offering free conversion kit for owners of any soon-to-be-discontinued coda products. must contact them before april 10, and ask for "coda conversion offer #10". it's free, and includes all current application updates on the sibelius websight. you must provide proof of registration with coda. after april 10, a fee of 250.00 plus proof of registration of a coda product will be required for conversion. also, this offer not available for windows ME users.

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 4/1/2002 4:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This all started because Bill Gates, searching for spiritual direction, began taking piano lessons.

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Reed email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill ReedAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1203

Posted 4/1/2002 5:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On seeing the headline, I didn’t think “Ahhh! April 1st”. I though “Thank God, we’ll finally get an intelligent interface”

ebiggs1
Registered Member

Click to send ebiggs1 email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ebiggs1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 722

Posted 4/1/2002 8:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The mind is such a terrible thing to waste!

tear
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to tearAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 1999
Total Posts : 157

Posted 4/1/2002 10:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am now worried. At first I thought you guys were fooling because April the 1st, but then Toronto Star article says that CIA is taking over the Coda, simply because they like the sound of FINALE. Apparently, you fool around with them and you are in for the very latest FINALE. And, you can forget about any upgrades because, they are going to call in FBI. That really worried me, in fact, to the point where I went to a LARGE Dictionary to see what these initials stand for, but to my relief, they are too feeble to stand. They lie down, low. The CIA lies down ( or stands)for Corny Intelligence Analogy. Bill Gates finally stood up and became a man, refusing to take lessons, on any instrument. That is why he teamed up with CIA, to see if he could learn to ply (or is it play)the instrument with the help of CIA software. Aghrs, conversions? These Sibelius Tecnicians must be experiencing a real missionary fervor? They used to convert for free, but now? What am I doing? The feeling of cornyness in coming over me and I better stop before I turn (or is it convert) you off completely.
P/S FBI stands for Federation Boors Incorporated and there is nothing soft-ware-ish about them. They are SOLID.
Ted Lebar, I'll stick with my Finale.

Ted Doerksen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ted DoerksenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 98

Posted 4/1/2002 3:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 4/1/2002 10:20:00 AM, William Reed wrote:
>On seeing the headline, I
>didn’t think “Ahhh! April
>1st”. I though “Thank God,
>we’ll finally get an
>intelligent interface”

And don't forget, Clippie the animated paper clip will be there to help us with all of our notation challenges. ;-)

Davidmorehead
Registered Member

Click to send Davidmorehead email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DavidmoreheadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 2203

Posted 4/1/2002 7:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It was funny at first but now you guys are scaring me. You must have better things to do! (Like trash Sibelius!)

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Reed email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill ReedAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 4/2/2002 8:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mr. Clippie can be turned off. There's no escape from a bad interface...

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 4/2/2002 8:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mr. Clippie turned on? Now there is something I would rather not contemplate.

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 4/2/2002 10:19 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Spice up your applications with the XXX rated Office Assistant!

Matthew Hindson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Matthew HindsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 406

Posted 4/2/2002 10:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 4/1/2002 10:20:00 AM, William Reed wrote:
>On seeing the headline, I
>didn?t think ?Ahhh! April
>1st?. I though ?Thank God,
>we?ll finally get an
>intelligent interface?

Just out of interest, William, what do you think is wrong with the Finale interface?

Is it that it's palette-based? Or the myriad of options?

I'm curious to know your opinions... For my 2c, I certainly believe that all of those setting in the Document Options need to be reorganized, as it's hard to remember which setting is in which option.

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 4/2/2002 10:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 4/2/2002 3:28:00 PM, Matthew Hindson wrote:

>Just out of interest, William, what do
>you think is wrong with the Finale
>interface?

A more interesting question would be: What's so good with Microsoft's UI design that makes it worth adopting in other applications?

Sure, Finale's current UI is really bad in some spots, specially regarding the dialog boxes.

But calling Microsoft's UI "intelligent" - come on! Modal settings dialogs, requiring even the simplest macros to be certified (which is not at all a straight-forward process), hard-wired behaviours that can't be changed (how do I add my own table definitions to the Table Autoformat feature in Word 2000?), etc, etc.

IMHO, Word Pro is a _much_ better example of a good UI. Or some of the products from Macromedia.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

duser
Registered Member

Click to send duser email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to duserAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 929

Posted 4/3/2002 4:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree that Finale's UI needs a major redesign, but please, please, please, don't use Microsoft as a model.

Coda trying to be more like Microsoft is kind of like Mike Tyson trying to be more like Jerry Springer  =8¬0

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 4/3/2002 4:49 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 4/3/2002 9:24:00 AM, Anonymous wrote:

Coda trying to be more like Microsoft is kind of like Mike Tyson trying to be more like Jerry Springer

But this analogy confuses me. How about:

"Coda trying to be more like Microsoft is kind of like the Boston Red Sox trying to be more like the New York Yankees."

Get it? A small, underdog sort of company (team) with a loyal fan base trying to be like the most successful and evil company (sports franchise) in history...

I'm a Red Sox fan, if you hadn't figured that out yet.

=8-P

Snorlax
Registered Member

Click to send Snorlax email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SnorlaxAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 500

Posted 4/3/2002 4:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In a strange inverse of the converse is the contrapositive-retrograde-inversion merger, Coda has bought Microsoft.
Henceforth, both Word and Excel will print certain letters on top of one another because there is no collision avoidance dialog box in either program.

"It's not a bug; if users don't want the letters to print on top of one another, they should send in a feature request," said Bill "Greetings" Gates, master programmer.

To the person who said "it's not a bug to the programmers:" I'm sorry--it's a bug. The program is not written for the programmers. It's written for the users. In marketing we call this attitude a "product orientation" and it doesn't lead to long-term success, as a "customer orientation" would.

To Gary: There are several pills and rehab plans for Red Sox fans...your insurance might even pick most of it up. I can help. Yankee Stadium is only a couple hours away...

Jim (not often confused for Bernie)Williams
TubaShop Quartet
Indianapolis 50s 1b-CF
N9EJR

duser
Registered Member

Click to send duser email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to duserAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 929

Posted 4/3/2002 5:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>> But this analogy confuses me.
Well, I must admit that the Yankees/Red Sox analogy confuses me.

Even though I am a Boston native and a diehard Sox fan, I have to admit that the reason the Yankees are so successful is that they play really good baseball.

The reason Microsoft is so successful, however, is not that they make really good products, it's that they are very good at driving companies that do make good products out of business.

GT
It was some other guy.

Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 4/4/2002 3:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jim:

I think I mentioned this in another post long ago, but it bears repeating: Red Sox fans are born, not made. Do you think I choose to be so miserable every summer? I had no more say in that matter than I did in being born Italian.

Anon:

I dunno, I still think it's a pretty good analogy. Ol' Georgie (who was once banned from baseball for life, if you recall) would be happy to drive the smaller teams out of the market. He's no fan of revenue sharing, remember.

[Editorial: Yankees fans accuse us of being jealous of their success, but in my case at least, it's not jealousy as much as it is being sick and tired of the fact that every year, the Boss puts yet another pennant and/or World Series trophy on his Titanium Visa card.]

Anyhoo, I think we've pretty much run this here April Fool's Day thread right into the ground, so I'm off to fix the screen door that my cat jumped through yesterday.

Cheers.

Gary

Snorlax
Registered Member

Click to send Snorlax email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SnorlaxAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 500

Posted 4/6/2002 2:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, Gary, I remember now...the memory is the first to go, you know...I guess there are pills for that, too!

My rant against the no-spacing-for-accidentals-in-different-layers thing is a direct result of a huge (90-page) brass ensemble score I'm copying--a very chromatic piece, often wandering far afield from the key sig, so plenty o' accidentals. Of course, virtually every staff in the score is divisi with different rhythms in the two voices, with tons of triplets to boot, so I am doing a PANTLOAD of manual moving.

Jim

Jim Williams
TubaShop Quartet
N9EJR