Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > poor spacing of lyrics  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Lyraviol1
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Lyraviol1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 11

Posted 1/28/2004 2:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have recently been creating scores for a choir. I have been at wits end trying to get the lyrics to look readable. The lyrics tend to run together. I have changed the size of measures, and even reduced the number of measures on a staff all with very mixed results. If I reduce the size of the lyrics, some of the older choir members complain about not being able to read the lyrics. I have tried loading library spacing files, but that still does not solve the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Pete Sawchuk
This Spacebar For Rent

Click to send Pete Sawchuk email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Pete SawchukAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 670

Posted 1/29/2004 1:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Have you tried Options menu > Document Options > select "Music Spacing" > check "Avoid Collision of Lyrics"?

Pete Sawchuk
PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz w/ 23" Apple Cinema Display
Finale 2003a in Mac OS 9.2.2
Otherwise, Mac OSX 10.3.2

Roger Fox
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Roger FoxAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2003
Total Posts : 202

Posted 2/8/2004 8:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I have Avoid Lyric Collisions checked and occasionally I still have lyric collisions, but usually only after optimization or adding new staves.  I found that it's usually not the lyrics that are colliding, but the melody notes to which they are attached.
Retranscribing from Mass Edit corrects the note problem instantly but the lyrics also instantly disappear. 
 There are several fixes. You can go to Speedy Entry and physically drag the melody notes to their proper positions. The lyrics will follow.
This next one was found on a recent thread-You can go to Tools>Advanced Tools>Special Tools>Note Position and select the handle of the offending note. Then hit backspace and the note will be put in its proper position and the lyrics will be spaced correctly
You can also go to Tools>Advanced Tools>Note Mover and select the handle of the note and just move it in the general direction that it needs to go. It will be placed correctly and you don't have to manually align it.
While there are several options to correct this problem, it seems that this should not be happening in the first place.... Ah well, easier said than done.

Roger Fox

F2k3a/P4/2.4ghz/XPHome/512mram/Ancient Princeton Graphics Monitor

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 2/8/2004 12:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"...I stillĀ have lyric collisions, but usually only after optimization or adding new staves..."

After changes to the music like these, you should respace the music and update the layout before taking the other steps to correct the music spacing. If you are still experiencing lyric collisions, you might be trying to force too much music per staff system or you may be using too "tight" of a spacing setup.

Jim Coull

PS You might get more responses & solutions to this post on the windows forum.

Post Edited (Jim Coull) : 2/8/2004 5:27:26 PM GMT

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 2/8/2004 6:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I do almost all vocal music and find that Finale spaces lyrics pretty well. I do a bit of touch-up before printing, but I don't have anything like the problems you describe. Could you post an example of a badly spaced piece? Maybe there is an easy solution to your problem.

Bill Stevens

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 2/8/2004 6:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
By the way, this question should be in the Mac or PC section, not the Plug-Ins section. You would get much more response if it were moved.

Bill