Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Saving Tablature Staff attributes  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

JTut
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JTutAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2015
Total Posts : 4

Posted 10/7/2015 12:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wondering if there's a way to set up the Tablature Staff attributes so that I can easily pull it in to my other files. For some reason, when I get it set up the way I want it, I can't figure out how save it so I can pull that in for use with my other Finale pieces. I have lots of really old Finale files with tablature from the days when it didn't handle tablature very well, and I'd like to update these pieces by deleting the old tablature, while leaving the music staff, and then pulling in a new tablature staff. But I seem to have to do tons of work each time - I'm sure there's a way to cut down on the work. Please help!

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 10/7/2015 1:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Welcome to the forum.

Set up a document with the TAB staff the way you want it, and save it with your templates. Then, you can open that, open the older doc, and copy the music into the new one. The TAB will be ready to go.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014d, on Yosemite 10.10.4
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

JTut
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JTutAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2015
Total Posts : 4

Posted 10/7/2015 2:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Mike - that's what I've been doing, but then I have to layout the pages all over again. I was hoping to avoid that part of the process.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/7/2015 11:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If we could see specifically what you are trying to duplicate, we might be able to help. It could be that what you are needing can be done with a staff style. Who knows?

A far as old files, you might be out of luck. The old way was as 6 individual 1 line staves. I'm not sure those can be easily converted.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

erhc451
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to erhc451AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 10/8/2015 11:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What version of Finale were your old files created with? So in addition to tablature staff settings, you want to maintain page layout as well?

My guess is that you need to disable some Automatic Settings in Preferences. Assuming you're using 2014, in Preferences disable Reflow Systems Across Pages, Automatic Update Layout, and Automatic Music Spacing. I believe these options are similar in previous versions but I cannot remember. If left checked, I believe that any alterations made to spacing when you created your template (regardless of having these things turned on when you created your template) will get re-interpreted by the auto spacing settings once you create a new document from the template and undo any alterations.

As a note, it was Finale 2002 and earlier that handled the tablature staff as six individual staves. I think any conversions of alternately tuned pre-2003 instruments get switched to standard tuning. I'm not sure if pitches or fret numbers would be maintained.

Josh

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/8/2015 12:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I tried imploding the 6 single line staves and they imploded to a Treble staff. I then converted to TAB from there. There will be loss, I'm sure.

Zuill

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 10/8/2015 7:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MusicXML export and re-import should do a good job of converting from the (very) old set of 1-line staves to the current tab staff, if that's what is needed here.

Michael Good
VP of R&D
MakeMusic, Inc.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/9/2015 3:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That works in the file I tested. I only had simple TAB numbers, nothing else. I would be curious to see how more complicated notation in the old 6 staff format converts with XML export/import.

Zuill