Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Complication with trills  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

pkienle
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to pkienleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 17

Posted 11/17/2004 4:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can't believe after using Finale for over a decade I am writing in about this.

There maybe an easy way but I haven't figured it out yet. Many of my customers like their trills to have the small note
the main note alternates with just next to the main note head. Preferrably at about 60% and in brackets. In some pieces this creates so much more work. Wether this is an accepted method to write it like that or not - gotta do what they want.

But is there a faster way? Also, if I forget to set Grace Notes to 'Keep Current' in the Music Spacing Preferences respacing throws everything off. Which reminds me: What does 'Incorporate Manual Spacing' refer to? Seems like when
I need to use this feature the notes I actually would like to exempt from automatic spacing still get respaced.

Hope these attachments work.
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
codamusic trill001.tif
  20KB (image/tiff)
This image has been viewed 207 time(s).

File Attachment :
codamusic trill   59KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 422 time(s).

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 11/17/2004 4:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do you have TGTools? There's a utility called "Make parenthesized trill notes". This is the TGTools you buy, not the one that comes with Finale.

Bill

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/17/2004 9:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you create them as articulations, and then save them as an articulation library, you'll always have them when you need them. No spacing problems as an articulation.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2004b, 2005, Win 2000 or XP

File Attachment :
Trill To Note As Articulation.MUS   66KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 356 time(s).

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 11/17/2004 10:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill is right that if you just create a few articulations with parentheses/notehead/parentheses, and then a sharp and flat before the notehead, they are very easy to add in trill situations. I told you about TGTools, which is really easy to do. You create the parenthetical note as a grace note, then run the utility and it moves it to the other side of the main note, removes the stem, and puts parentheses around it. The only problem is that if you apply spacing, the parenthetical note gets moved back to the left of the main note for some reason and you have to run a repair utility, so while TGTools is easier to do, it's a tad dangerous.

The short answer to your question is that there are two easy solutions to your trill question.

I hope I never have to type the words "parentheses" and "parenthetical" again.

Bill

Slandrom
Registered Member

Click to send Slandrom email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SlandromAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 1792

Posted 11/18/2004 2:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And as an articulation you could also use the handle positioning to automatic assign it at the right place. (e.g. you could use the same shape, copy it and have different assignments if you like).

Björn

2002b, (owner of 2005) MacOSX 10.3 and classic, sometimes Win98, TgTools (always the latest) QuicKeys X2, 2.0.2 GPO, Twin G4 1ghz. 2 Gb ram, Apple Cinema Display 23"

Post Edited (Slandrom) : 11/18/2004 7:13:44 AM GMT

Robert P.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Robert P.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1691

Posted 11/18/2004 2:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,

I think that using a note-assigned Text Expression is better. See the attached example (parenthesized accidental has been assigned meta-tool "1").

Advantages:
- perfect placement using expression's position options
- right spacing (you must check Doc Options/Spacing/Avoid Collision of/Note Expressions
- future support with HP possible

Speaking of trills, I have also enclosed an example of the trill/turns improvement in HP 2005a. It also illustrates how HP currently deals with trills and accidentals.

Robert

Post Edited (Robert Piéchaud) : 11/18/2004 7:52:26 AM GMT

File Attachment :
HP_TestTrills_2k5a.mus   66KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 379 time(s).

File Attachment :
Trill_to_note_as_expression.mus   3KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 386 time(s).

korneel.bernolet
out of inspiration

Click to send korneel.bernolet email.Click to visit korneel.bernolet's website.Send a Private Message to korneel.bernoletAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 735

Posted 11/18/2004 11:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Engraver Font Set has some Trill To - noteheads too. Maybe you should check them out!

Korneel Bernolet
korneelbernolet.tk

Finale 2005 with Forza! Lite and TG-tools
Windows XP Professional - Pentium III - Roland XP-30 synthesizer.