Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Symmetrical hairpins  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

paulbrainard
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to paulbrainardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 305

Posted 5/20/2015 11:19 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For some reason I thought this was a feature that had been included in 2014 but I can't find it, so - is there a way to automatically create a symmetrical mirror-image pair of hairpins, i.e. crescendo & decrescendo, without having to create the first one, then switch to the other shape, create the second one, and then select & horizontally align them (hopefully matching the length by eye.) It would be amazing to be able to hold a modifier key while creating the first one and have its mirror image automatically created. . .

Finale 2011c, mac & windows

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 5/20/2015 11:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I wish there was. Actually, I wouldn't mind a flattened diamond shape for swells.

Finale 2014d with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM
onboard Beats Audio sound card

violin and flamenco guitar, composer

Administrator, The Compose Forums
Specializing in contemporary art music

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 5/20/2015 11:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It can be easily done using a combination of tools.  Enter the crescendo, set the edit filter to copy only Smart Shapes, copy and paste the second crescendo where needed, and use JW Change to swap it into a decrescendo.  This would be a nice addition to do all at once, but alas, it is not there as of yet.   blush  My bad.  Zuill points out the JW Pattern plugin below that can do it.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU with 6 dual core processors @ 3.50 GHz (12 threads)

Realtek High Definition on board audio
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU with 4GB ram

512 GB SSD

Four 4TB and one 1TB internal SATA HD's
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center x64 Edition, (06.03.9600.00)
Finale versions: 2011b.r2, 2012c.r13, 2014d.v5030

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 5/20/2015 5:44:47 PM (GMT-5)

paulbrainard
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to paulbrainardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001

Posted 5/20/2015 11:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
True although I think it might be easier to just create the second smart shape!

For such a common musical element, there really should be a simple way to do it. . . maybe it should be its own smart shape, that would be slick (although you'd want to be able to have a space between them for a dynamic marking, or not.) Is it possible to create custom smart shapes? That would be a nice feature itself.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 5/20/2015 12:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari has a plugin that creates hairpins in sets. I believe it is the JW Pattern plugin.

Zuill

P.S.: With the plugin, you can choose 1 or more measures, as well as a measure stack. You can choose to have just measures with notes in the stack to receive the hairpins.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 5/20/2015 12:27:58 PM (GMT-5)

paulbrainard
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2001

Posted 5/20/2015 12:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Awesome, yes - thanks!!

paulbrainard
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2001

Posted 5/20/2015 12:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
While we are on the subject - is it possible to highlight a bunch of smart shapes and adjust things like the start point, angle, etc? I can probably do some of that by adjusting one and then doing a vertical alignment, but would be super nice to be able to adjust the other attributes of a group of them on the fly, as you can with a single one.

ttw
Registered Member

Click to send ttw email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ttwAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 776

Posted 5/20/2015 1:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Seems like one can select either the crescendo or decrescendo (mouse) and make the shape; then drag the cursor in the other direction to make the opposite parity wedge. (When I do it, they're not symmetrical, but they are paired.) Both shapes go either way, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Finale 2011b & Finale 2012c & 2014</div>
GWI, GPO 4, JABB 3, Steinway Basic, COMB2

Windows 8.1 Dell XPS 8770

Finale 2011b & Finale 2012c & 2014c

GWI, GPO 4, JABB 3, Steinway Basic, COMB2

Windows 8.1 HP Envy Notebook

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 5/20/2015 2:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
paulbrainard said...
While we are on the subject - is it possible to highlight a bunch of smart shapes and adjust things like the start point, angle, etc? I can probably do some of that by adjusting one and then doing a vertical alignment, but would be super nice to be able to adjust the other attributes of a group of them on the fly, as you can with a single one.
The JW Change plugin can do en masse changes, but maybe not exactly the way you want to. You might take a look and see what it can do.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 5/20/2015 2:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
The JW Change plugin can do en masse changes, but maybe not exactly the way you want to. You might take a look and see what it can do.
Zuill

oh my lord! I wasn't even aware that the JWChange plugin could handle Smart Shapes!!! I just tested it and it's a MASSIVE time saver.

This single plugin is probably the most powerful tool in all of Finale's arsenal.

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) now using 2012 under Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 5/20/2015 5:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michel R.E. said...
This single plugin is probably the most powerful tool in all of Finale's arsenal.
This sentiment has been expressed many times on this forum.

Zuill said...
Jari has a plugin that creates hairpins in sets. I believe it is the JW Pattern plugin.
Yes, Thanks for reminding me.  I thought there was one, but I couldn't recall what it was.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU with 6 dual core processors @ 3.50 GHz (12 threads)

512 GB SSD

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center x64 Edition, (06.03.9600.00)

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Harpsi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HarpsiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 495

Posted 5/21/2015 12:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
+1.

I use three keyboard shortcuts to create <, >, and <> with JW Pattern, and when needed I have shortcuts to sequences in JW Change to accommodate space for dynamics. It took some time experimenting to find values to my liking but well worth it. Important is to change the offset to the anchor point, not the horizontal position, to make sure that the spacing will work both in score and parts.

I almost never add hairpins by click-dragging anymore.

Finale 2014d, Win 8.1, Korg M1, Oxygen 25

Michael Matthews
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Matthews's website.Send a Private Message to Michael MatthewsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 1009

Posted 5/21/2015 3:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Harpsi:

Would you be willing to explain in detail how you use the keyboard shortcuts to create smartshapes?

Thanks!

Michael

Mac Pro 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
OS X 10.10.1
64 GB RAM
Dual AMD FirePro graphics processers

M Audio Keystation Pro 88
RME Babyface

Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
OS X 10.10.1
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
Intel Iris Pro

Harpsi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HarpsiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 5/21/2015 4:15 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sure. NB that the following is windows only - you would have to get another macro program on Mac, and see if it is possible to access JW plugs from there.

At
http://www.jwmusic.nu/jwplugins/wiki/doku.php?id=autohotkey
there is a script that Jari made which lets you script his plugins.

I used that, and then added

;Crescendo - §<
:*b0:§<::

if (openJWpluginwindow("JW", "JW Pattern", 3, 2) = 1)
{
     setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 1, 1)
      applyandcloseJWpluginwindow("JW Pattern")
}

return

;Diminuendo - §z

:*b0:§z::

if (openJWpluginwindow("JW", "JW Pattern", 3, 2) = 1)
{
   setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 1, 2)
   applyandcloseJWpluginwindow("JW Pattern")
}

return

When I press § the system waits for another keypress. §< will make a cresc, §z a dim. So in action I highlight (in Selection Tool) the place where I want the hairpin/s to go, press key combo, done.

I have also done similar JW Pattern macros to add slurs en masse.

I got the inspiration to do this from Tim Davies blog. He is on Mac and has the most incredible macros going on.

http://www.finalemusic.com/blog/finale-blog-tim-davies-orchestration-screencast/

Post Edited (Harpsi) : 5/21/2015 6:05:01 AM (GMT-5)

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 5/21/2015 6:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for sharing your AHK script.  Just what keystroke is the "§" ?

512 GB SSD

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 5/21/2015 6:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's on some keyboards (European?). For me it's right under the Esc key; the § is lowercase and ± is the capital.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014d, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.10.2
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 5/21/2015 6:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Vaughan.  Must be a European keyboard.  I don't see it on my USA style Logitech.  I'll just choose another trigger keystroke.

PS:  I can get it on my keyboard with ALT 0167, but not with a single keystroke.

512 GB SSD

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 5/21/2015 7:00:58 AM (GMT-5)

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 5/21/2015 10:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On my keyboard it is just under the esc, as on Vaughan's. I wanted an unused key with a position that suited my needs.

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 5/21/2015 3:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Under the escape key I have: ` (lower) and ~ (upper). I guess it's different keyboards for different folks.

Finale 2014d with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM
onboard Beats Audio sound card

violin and flamenco guitar, composer

Administrator, The Compose Forums
Specializing in contemporary art music

Graeme Gilmore
Registered Member

Click to send Graeme Gilmore email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Graeme GilmoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2000
Total Posts : 371

Posted 5/21/2015 8:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
While reading this thread, I wondered whether Aline Vertically would work with a crescendo and a decrescendo one over the other. It turns out it does (when either attached to the same staff or to different staves). The Aline Vertically made them exactly the same length. I could then move the decrescendo to its appropriate place and use the Aline Horizontal open. This method could be useful when there is only one or two pairs.

Just another way Finale can work.

Graeme

Finale 2014d v/5030, Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, GPO, TGTools, Patterson Plug-Ins, JW Plug-Ins

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 5/22/2015 2:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Interesting to know. BTW, the <>pair in the JW Pattern plug-in has a problem in my opinion. If you choose to have no padding, the < and > will touch in the middle. With padding they will not touch anymore, but they will be equally padded at the start and end too. To only change then gap between, you have to manually adjust them, or use JW Change (or, a sequence in JW Change) to adjust it.

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 5/22/2015 6:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Graeme Gilmore said...
While reading this thread, I wondered whether Aline Vertically would work with a crescendo and a decrescendo one over the other. It turns out it does (when either attached to the same staff or to different staves). The Aline Vertically made them exactly the same length. I could then move the decrescendo to its appropriate place and use the Aline Horizontal open. This method could be useful when there is only one or two pairs.

Just another way Finale can work.

I use this same technique all the time and, with a little practice, it's very quick and painless. Sometimes it helps to place a guide somewhat off center, as in the attached.

N.

Finale 2011c, 2012c - OSX 10.6.8
Finale 2014d - OSX 10.8.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 2GB RAM
New Belgium Trippel Ale

“The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.”
–Assyrian tablet, ca. 2800 BC

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Hairpin.png
  203KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 500 time(s).