Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Why do slurs not follow rules?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 12/22/2016 8:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When "Automatically Constrain Dragging" is set in the preferences, why can slurs still be dragged in any direction (without shift being pressed)?

Finale 25.2
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 12/26/2016 3:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So, why can slurs be moved all over the place when "Constraint Dragging" is checked in the preferences?

Finale 25.2
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 12/26/2016 4:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

A quote from the User's Manual:

"Constrained dragging is temporarily disabled while slurs are being edited. Use SHIFT to enable it while editing slurs."

Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1607 build 14393

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB [Display adapter]
ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, Realtek HD Audio

Finale 2014.5.6359, Finale 25.2.0.92
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0
Sharpeye 2.68, PhotoScore Ultimate 7.0.2, SmartScore X2 Pro 10.5.8

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 12/27/2016 12:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Exactly, so why do slurs not follow the rules? Rule is that all movable items can be dragged in any direction unless one check's "Constrain Dragging" in the preferences. In the latter case only pressing shift will allow dragging in all directions. Slurs act in an exact opposite fashion. And only slurs — other smart shapes do follow the rules.
Why is this application so very inconsistent in so many respects?

Finale 25.2
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/27/2016 12:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Given the nature of slurs, unconstrained is probably a more useful default, is my guess, since it seems deliberate rather than an oversight.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 12/27/2016 4:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Writer of Music said...
When "Automatically Constrain Dragging" is set in the preferences, why can slurs still be dragged in any direction (without shift being pressed)?

Because that's the way it is designed.

Quote from manual: "Constrained dragging is temporarily disabled while slurs are being edited."

With SHIFT held down, constrained dragging is back in effect where you can move in one direction only, the first direction you move with SHIFT held down.

Quote from manual: "Use SHIFT to enable it while editing slurs."

If you enable "Automatically constrain dragging" in preferences, everything but slurs will be constrained from the outset, and pressing SHIFT will release the constraint temporarily.  As Motet suggested, unconstrained dragging of slurs, even if constrained dragging is turned on from the outset, seems the most logical default action.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 12/27/2016 6:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear mr. Lawrence, I am able to read. Are you?

Finale 25.2
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 12/27/2016 6:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Writer of Music said...

there's no need for you to be your usual jacka$$.
you've gotten two perfectly reasonable and valid answers, one from Motet, and one from Charles.

it's interesting to note that you keep posting your xxxxxing and moaning and almost never seem to post to help others.
I think I'll do like so many others have done and simply put you on ignore from now on.

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) using 2012 (2014 has been shelved for its lack of support for older Garritan libraries), putting Finale 25 through its paces.
Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 12/27/2016 6:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do as you please, mr. Edward. Whether or not you will ignore me doesn't change the fact that slurs do act contrary to the preferences the user sets, which is exactly what I asked about.

As for your assumption that I hardly ever help anyone, I can but lol.

Finale 25.2
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/27/2016 7:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My impression as well is that you do little besides complain.

But again, why complain to us? It's not going to fix the things you complain about. We don't know why things haven't been fixed. We don't know why slurs behave the way they do. How could we know that?

It seems like a total waste of time to me, and the only thing your are accomplishing is looking like a fool.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/27/2016 6:24:57 PM (GMT-6)

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 12/27/2016 7:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why complain here? Because nothing will improve Finale when I'm the only one telling MakeMusic that there are many improvements to be made. But by all means, please be perfectly happy with an imperfect piece of software.

Finale 25.2
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 12/27/2016 7:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Writer of Music said...

Of course I am able to read.  It would appear that either you cannot read or cannot comprehend what is read.  I posted a quote from the user's manual that explains that while editing slurs, which includes when you first enter them, that, by design, unconstrained movement overrides any constraint on editing slurs, unless pressing SHIFT.  That seems to be a logical default for slurs, since they are so flexible.

O dear me! I have done what I said I would never do again.  That is, to respond to whoever the "Writer of Music" is.  I, long ago, said I would refuse to respond to any post from that user.  I did not put this person on ignore.  I thought that over a period of time, this user would become more civil.  Alas, it has not, and apparently will not, happen.  Believe me now, when I once again say that I will never again respond to a post from whoever this person is.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Garritan GPO4.02

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 12/27/2016 7:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And in return I will be freed from comments that completely miss the point.

Have we learned a lesson?
By now, some of you must find me as annoying as I find the shortcomings and flaws in Finale. It bugs you, doesn’t it? Only difference is, you could have chosen to ignore me as you said you would (but didn’t, you rather felt the urge to be hostile and insult me, uncalled for), I , on the other hand, can’t ignore the incongruences and inconsistencies of Finale, because they are there. And guess what, they bug me as well.

Finale 25.2
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Post Edited (Writer of Music) : 12/27/2016 8:18:06 PM (GMT-6)